• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Move [Done] Button from beneath Histogram back to Toolbar [T]

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Done" button on the "T" panel doesn't show up anymore when in crop or masking tool. I'm missing it.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 152 Replies 152
152 Comments
Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another issue with this which may cause confusion for new users is that there are now two uses of the word "edit"in the lightroom UI. Ive always associated edit with a right clicking on an image and opening it in photoshop via "edit in" contextual menu .Now we have an edit button that returns to Develop module, or is it the edit module now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who is not annoyed, hell, furious, at the massive disruption that this caused to workflow - muscle memory is a big deal after hundreds of thousands of edits - is either

1. Not actually editing all that much to begin with 

or 

2. Like me and saw it as an opportunity to try Capture One, fell in love with how much more powerful it is for handling raw files, and is thrilled to say goodbye to Lightroom!

Thanks, Adobe, I wish I had jumped to C1 years ago. 

Still can't live without Photoshop, though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or 3, is to some degree adaptable

or 4, has been using some other method than clicking the Done button to achieve the same outcome - and is continuing to do so unaffected, hence feels no need to make their voice heard on the subject.

I for example have strong muscle memory for pressing Esc key / Enter key (the difference between those two is largely moot in LrC). And there's a Close button right in the Crop panel (for example) which is right where IMO you'd expect to find such a thing.

Or: say you wanted to do some spot cloning next. You are happy with your Crop. So you click the icon for cloning. The Crop panel just closes itself uninstructed and probably unnoticed. It's old news now. The new Edit button is just an extension of this idea AFAICT. Your crop change doesn't need to be confirmed or accepted - the Done button never served that purpose, btw. Interface, not action.

I would expect that many users have never even noticed the existence of this Done button. I probably did; but not sufficiently to ever bother using it IIRC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John269716800f8u I disagree with your assumption. I was always annoyed by the placement of the DONE button which was inconsistent with all the other editing functions. I don't miss it at all and find it far more efficient to just click again on the function I'm using to turn it off. And I have edited >100,000 images in LRC. For me, this was an easy transition to make.

Certainly, learning an entirely new product caused you to lose the advantage of your "muscle memory", so citing that as a reason to abandon LRC altogether is a non sequitir.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those that are unhappy about LrC poor performance should complain and vote in this thread.

In fact more people are complaining about the removal of the "Done" button than infinitely more important and dramatic problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jill_C said

"Certainly, learning an entirely new product caused you to lose the advantage of your "muscle memory", so citing that as a reason to abandon LRC altogether is a non sequitir."

Exactly!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the contrary...

I had been reluctant to switch to C1 for years because of my muscle memory and workflow. Take it away, and it was the perfect opportunity to dive into a new program. I can't tell you how happy I am that I finally did. Think of it as more of a catalyst than a reason and you'll understand my logic better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muscle memory was gone. What a perfect time to try what the vast majority of people who have tried both say is the clearly more powerful program. I'm with them. There is not going back. 
it's okay, I was a fanboy like you guys for the longest time. I couldn't be happier with using a more powerful raw processor than I am now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "low" speed of LR is as it is and was there since the beginning. So everybody knows it and in the last two years, LR become much faster. So no need to complain about speed. But changing the GUI is terrible. I feel like a noop that is editing photos for the first time. The other thing is that i need to "invert" every single "radial filter". LR does not allow it to stay as default setting anymore (it changed a couple of versions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. BRING IT  BACK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to shout. Just click on the upvote button if you support the request.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.3.1,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is anyone from Adobe actually listening? 

Sincerely, a mother of two teenagers 😜

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One hundred and three requests went ungranted. Solomon was about to dismiss the one hundred and fourth also, since they all had the same merit, each one alike to the others, and this was getting ridiculous. But then he looked again and saw that this one had a quite tetchy attitude and used ALL CAPS. Accordingly, his heart softened and he relented as he had not done before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone point me in the direction of the thread that asks for the done button to be removed please. As it was such an issue for some people to remove Id like to read about their reasons for having it removed. Like many have said you didnt have to use the done button, but you cant use it if its not there. I did try search but nothing came up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, scrolled thru replies, And I notice:

• Nope, no reply's by an actual Adobe Tech
  • Nope no links to actual Adobe documentation on removing Done
  • A pair of third party links discussing removal of Done. (see below)
  • The majority of the unhappy members are new members or fairly new members. Welcome, now please add your votes, remarks, to other, more useful Ideas.
  • Few established members complaining, most of them down playing  the request
  • Several established members have never bothered with the basically useless Done button

oh, having stated that a couple of third party documents/links were mentioned, I should include them:

Exclusive Lightroom Classic 12 Updates for OCTOBER 2022 | michaelrungphotography

Where did the Done button go in Lightroom Classic 12.0? | The Lightroom Queen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Done button was useless.

Countless of complaints for this while truly useful ideas get no votes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I'm sorry I've never really had a major problem I couldn't google my way through until this ridiculous change, so no reason to come here and interact. I'm glad for you that your workflow wasn't impacted by the change, but for many of us, it was a significant impact. I ask you, what have you gained by the buttons removal, other than to have an avenue to smugly insult those MANY of us who have come here for the first time because it is a significant issue to us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The done button was not as useless as the EDIT button they added.  Not to mention moving the generally much more used CROP button.  You could click on the tool's icon to close it, and the edit button is not needed.  The done button follows the FLOW of using the tool from top to bottom.  Clicking a button clsoer to the center requires less effort than navigating to the toolbar, and with a smaller button.  I'm also laughing at the duplicate bandaid icons when using the repair tool.

Another proper implementation woudl be to change the main toolbar area to fill the entire area with the tool you have selected.  This way you have a larger area to click, and it would be more intuitive.  Now, you can click on the EDIT button and watch it not do anything.  Which is just silly, and not half as useful as the done button.

I REALLY wish these threads were indented/indexed for replies as well.  It reminds me how much Adobe doesn't follow common layouts, formats, and better design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Members in opposition are not being smug. They are mostly annoyed.

Now I will agree that probably being annoyed we could have ignored. BUT, many many Ideas are not being looked at by members. Many Ideas are not being voted on or supported or given feedback. Actual useful ideas. And despite a few request, their is no Down vote capability, So just feedback via reply's.

Also, yes Adobe appears to be ignoring this posting. Now Adobe does not often interact in these customer community pages, but this one appears to deserve some feedback from them. Especially with the numbers of votes. Note that a couple of other similar posts about the Done button is gone (my bad, links not included) and in a few an Adobe tech did reply, but the reply was useless, basically stating, yep, done gone, no reason given.

ahh, one similar link with Adobe reply (poor): 

P: Toolbar [Done] Button has moved to tool bar beneath Histogram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stephenb14916862 

First I am not insulting anyone, that's not me.

Second the done button was a "Close Button", all our steps are done and recorded the moment a history step is created and it was useless to use it because it was literally, objectively not a done button like in ACR.

Write me down the exact steps you were doing with the done button.

Let me understand why it was vital and why we have now is so horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets not forget that it is SOFTWARE.  Adobe could offer an old or new style of tool menus, or just offer MUCH more cusotmization of each item as a show/hide option.  This is a workflow tool afterall, and that way it could work as they see fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C.Cella First, I was mostly unnerved at @GoldingD , not you. Sorry for the lack of a tag targeting my reply. His comment (and subsequent reply) were indeed smug. I'm sorry that most of us who don't frequent this forum don't really care about other things you do care about... but you don't see us going in and down-talking ideas you support with no real evidence other than "this idea is stupid". 

For every tool on the top right- crop, healing, masking, etc, it was a "end of using this tool" button that was in the same exact place every time. Yes, the "basic edit" button was added up there and does essentially the same thing, and is in the same place every time. But I OFTEN find my mouse closer to the bottom of an image when I'm done with a tool, and the "Done" button was *right there* - *for years*. 

If there was a gain in functionality replacing that screen real estate with something useful, I would just have to chalk it up to a change I didn't like. But they replaced it with literally nothing, making the change nonsensical. 

And again, I pose the question back to both of you, what have you gained with the Done buttons removal? How is your workflow positively impacted? If you can't give me a specific reason other than "I never used it", then your opinion on the matter really isn't relevant to those of us who are impacted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The common argument seems to be.

"I was working in a local panel, then moved to the bottom (I suppose to open filmstrip) so on the way I was clicking Done"

So the steps were.

1.Work in local panel (Masking, Crop, Healing, Red Eye)

2. When finished working I move towards the bottom.

3. Click Done along the way.

4. Select photo in filmstrip.

5. Move again to the center/top/middle in the next photo to use global edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I want the Done button back.
It's not an improvement to workflow for many people.
The thing is, when I want to apply all the changes I've made, I hit "Done"
Now I have to change to another tool, and then change back if I didn't like what I did. (i.e. Crop tool)
Whereas with "Done" it'll keep me in the panel and I might make further adjustments.
Basically, I hate it not being there. It gave me a sense of "Ok, DONE". Whereas now I have a sense of "I better double check the settings to make sure they were applied."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also looking at other tools atm. There are just too many UI changes for the worse every time.
I dislike the masking tool as well, because it never does what I want.
So.... if I find a Lightroom alternative I like... and then a Photoshop replacement... then guess who won't be renewing her subscription next year?

Votes

Translate

Translate