• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Relative Develop Presets would save the day!

Engaged ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom--I would love to see relative presets as opposed to only absolute presets. For example, I may want to add +10 of yellow in Temperature to what ever setting exists and not a static number.

This would be great for white balancing where pleasing color is preferable over accurate color. I may want to white balance a set of pictures and add +10 of yellow to warm things up.

I find a lot of presets aren’t useful in my workflow, but a relative color temp/tint would be.

Thanks,

Reid

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 109 Replies 109
109 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on Adobe's response, I thought this was going to be in Lr4 - maybe it still is (?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these plans likely to be manifested in Lr4-final, or more likely Lr5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only hope for this to happen too. Relative develop Presets would make it so much easier to apply a Look from one Image to a bunch of others.

Thanks,

Aron

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be the case that "Blacks" and "Whites" adjustments are always relative in LR4. They seem to feature auto black point setting and auto highlight recovery so "0" appears to mean something different for every image. Any change from "0" is thus a relative change.

AFAIC, such auto behaviour should be optional.

I don't know whether "shadows" and "highlights" may also be regarded as relative adjustment sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My name is Vicente Alfonso, professional photographer from Spain.

I ́m a Lightroom user since LR2.

Well, I would like an option in wich I can add an adjustements sum not copy from others. I ́ll try to explain:

When I ́m going to send a copy to the laboratory for print, I need to do same changes in all my photos, 5+ more red, 10+ more yellow, because of copy shows in paper the same colors than the monitor.

In lightroom you can only copy the same adjustments than the other photo or preset, you can ́t add a sum and create a prest with that.

For example: I would like a preset in wich colors option, adds 5 more red, 3 more green... etc. If I have a photo with +30 yellow, the presets would give me 35 in total. But now, If I do a copy from an adjusment from other photo or a preset, the preset give me a total number not a sum.

I hope you can understand that I ́m trying to say. My english is not good.

Regards,

Vicente Alfonso,

http://vicentealfonso.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cookmarks supports relative presets via browser bookmarks - PV2012 fully supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to see this as a preset. But you can switch to the Library module, select multiple images and apply the Quick Develop presets. Is that not almost as good?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick develop adjustments are relative, but presets are not relative - they are the same (absolute) presets as elsewhere in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mis-type. I meant to say that you can select multiple images in the Library module and then apply relative adjustments to all of them in a batch with Quick Develop. I realize there is no way to do this in a preset where all adjustments are specific to a numerical setting rather than relative to the existing setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With soft proofing so well done in LR4, the value of Relative Adjustments in Develop makes more sense than ever. Think of the value of characterizing Changes in develop settings to, for example, print to a certain paper - and applying those changes to a series of files that will be printed to the printer/paper combination

As to whether the Relative Adjustments should due done only as a Preset, or as a Sync Settings function, both approaches would have merit.

John Caldwell

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You realize you can apply relative changes to all selected using Quick Develop, right?

Which additional settings would you like to be able to apply relatively?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HSL and Saturation come to mind. Further, I'd ilk ego be able to more precisely quantify the relative adjustments that, say, a Soft Proofing process led me to make and save those relative changes as a preset that could due applied to a series of files. Unless I misunderstand, and I may well misunderstand, we can't do those things now.

Thanks, Rob.

John Caldwell

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You *can* do saturation natively with Quick Develop, but you can only do HSL using a plugin like DevAdjust or Cookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, Rob. While I really appreciate your work, and that of others, writing the plugin codes, it is still attractive that these features be natively incorporated. At one time at least, those plugs had Windows-only support.

But back to what can now be done in Library using relative adjustments, are those relative changes able to be saved & applied as a preset?

Many thanks, Rob.

John Caldwell

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

w.r.t. relative presets in Lightroom: No.

PS - Informing of plugin solutions is in case you want a workaround right now today. Adobe understands you are requesting native functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another workaround – You can apply relative settings now using the Graduated Filter local adjustment tool.

Drag the Graduated Filter pin and guides off of the picture canvas (i.e. in the border area). which selects the entire image 100%. Make any combination of available adjustments using the Graduated filter panel and save as a Develop preset with only 'Graduated Filter' and perhaps 'Process Version' selected.

The only potential down side is that this local adjustment will not be reflected in the global adjustment tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use this method, just be aware:

Locals are not necessarily additive ("there's a law of diminishing local returns"), so after you hit it a few times this way, you'll start to not get the effect you expect. And you'll find painting may no longer be as effective after applying a few of these gradients...

A fact worth knowing since this applies to locals regardless of whether applied as "relative presets", or otherwise...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What this buys you:

* You can use amounts not supported by the quick-develop (e.g. exposure .1)
* You can use adjustments not supported by the quick-develop, namely:
* Noise
* Moire
* Defringe (new)
* Color

And of course you don't have to switch to library module to apply.

Did I miss anything?

Note: once global+local amounts exceed the global max, there will be diminishing returns when applying local adjustments.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I would call this a "Quick & Dirty" method of applying relative adjustments in the Develop module, but it works.

I would only suggest using it if you want to apply a "minor correction" to a set of images. You can also create an 'Undo Preset' with the opposite value(s).

I don't know how many Gradient Filters you can use, but I applied three normal gradient tool adjustments to an image, then applied a relative preset, and its 'Undo' preset with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use paddy for this
https://sites.google.com/site/dorfl68

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anybody has tried this - please do tell...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paddy looks very interesting indeed. I'm going to try it in the very near future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I've tried Paddy for a day. It has some very useful features. Being able to assign Adjustment brush presets ( including brush size, etc ) to keys is excellent and savers loads of time

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I'll be curious if you ever try relative adjustment presets - e.g. can you combine adjustments, or just onezies...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it looks like you can combine adjustments. Why not just try it? Only takes a couple of minutes to install 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate