• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Relative Develop Presets would save the day!

Engaged ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom--I would love to see relative presets as opposed to only absolute presets. For example, I may want to add +10 of yellow in Temperature to what ever setting exists and not a static number.

This would be great for white balancing where pleasing color is preferable over accurate color. I may want to white balance a set of pictures and add +10 of yellow to warm things up.

I find a lot of presets aren’t useful in my workflow, but a relative color temp/tint would be.

Thanks,

Reid

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 109 Replies 109
109 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it - it didn't work - don't remember details... (it was a long while ago). May try again, may not: I've already programmed my own solutions for most of what it does, so not much motivation...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair doos 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a need for both types of adjustments - relative and absolute. Take white balance adjustments for example. I.E. I'll adjust a group of wedding photos to have the same "look" Depending on lighting and camera settings there are times when dialing in a white balance of 5000k on one photo will look the same as a white balance of 4500k on a different photo. Obviously sometimes it's nice to quickly dial in a white balance of the same nominal value, say 5500k for a group of photos. Other times, I just want to warm up a group of photos. Some of these photos might be at 3500K, 5500K and 6500K but I want them all to look "warmer" being able to bump each one up by 500K would save TONS of time.

Also, having the ability to take a group of photos that I've previously edited with exposure adjustments (some are +.5, -.3, +1.0 etc)... to take that group of photos and relatively brighten them up from where they currently are... brighten all photos by 1/2 stop, would be a huge time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that I would need would be a little tickbox next to the autosync button to choose relative or absolute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tu lo que quieres es que te coman los huevos hijo de puta

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mariscos recio joputa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a ti lo que te pasa es que te huele la espalda a brumel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

menjam els cotllóns 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

como te gusta comer huevos mariposon

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

john spacey le come los huevos a stefan keller

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gazoo is another plugin which supports relative develop adjustments & presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5 beta still doesn't provide a way to do this. Disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very disappointing. it's not a huge feature and would speed up workflow enormously for some of us users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Light 5 beta
Would it be possible to add a feature in the develop module so that a differential adjustment.such as a change to the colour balance can be saved so as to enable one to apply it to an entire set of photos? I am aware of Julieanne Kost's work- round using the library module settings but these are too crude and inconvenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want want want! Why is this still 'Under consideration' when it was suggested 4 years ago? From doing quick web searches it seems this something many people would love. I understand that a lot of requests are not considered as the feature is something that is more suited to Photoshop - but not in this case. Surely this is perfect for lightroom.

How would I use it? - I often create colour and black & white versions of a collection of photos. I process in colour first and then make black and white virtual copies. To make these b&w copies I have to do all my adjustments individually in Library, and they are nearly the same every time (2/3 exp, + contrast, +shadows, -blacks etc etc)

Pleeeease add this to the next release!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You realize the quick-develop section supports relative adjustment of most settings (mutli-photo in grid view), right?

For the rest of the settings, and/or finer control, and/or relative presets - get a plugin.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Adobe shouldn't implement natively. - but I've been using relative presets for years now, and you could be too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, yes I had realised about using multi photo adjustments in quick develop. I just want to click one button- not 5!
Thanks to this thread Ive just started using Gazoo plugin for relative presets. Seems to do the trick, just 2 clicks 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with using plugins for relative presets is that Lightroom's sliders only go so far, which means that if you correct your image first then apply a relative preset you sometimes max out on one or more sliders, which leads to unpredictable & inconsistent results - this particularly happens with exposure and colour balance.

What's needed is for Lightroom to provide a way to normalise the manually applied settings to reset the sliders back to default while baking in the applied effects, so that relative presets can then be applied consistently and can using the full range of all the sliders.

Alternatively, Lightroom could support sliders going beyond their current min & max values.

Either way, Lightroom itself needs to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, Lightroom could support sliders going beyond their current min & max values.

Either way, Lightroom itself needs to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gazoo assures all settings are within range before applying them, so results are always deterministic (predictable and consistent). I can't speak for all plugins.

Of course if you keep saying "go up", the limit will eventually be reached - same will be true when Adobe implements the feature natively.

Although I understand the benefit of being able to go up infinitely (e.g. baking in changes) what you are asking for there is a whole different ball game than just supporting relative presets.. - it would probably mean a whole new app which supports caching (in baked form) of non-destructive image edits which current Lr design does not support (due to "non-linearity" of applied adjustments..). BTW such is a request which I have already made here in a different thread, since such change would be beneficial not only for allowing infinite adjustment (or mixing process versions..) but to keep from slowing down as more local edits are piled on. I doubt this will ever happen in Lr, or at least not anytime soon - hope I'm wrong..

That said, there is nothing to stop you from exporting an RGB file to continue work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lotta compromises in this world ;-}.

PS - How do you *like* a comment? I see how to *like* a "root level" post, but not a "comment level" post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll find that's yet another missing feature! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the feature may be well hidden, but it is somehow doable.. - I occasionally receive email notices that comments I post here have been "liked", so I guess Kate knows how to do it, as do some others - I just haven't found the secret, yet..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no feature for relative adjustments of develop module parameters in LR6 - have to say I'm extremely disappointed by this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished a webinar with Lightroom users from across the globe and it was unanimous, everyone still wants "relative presets". Who's in favor of relative presets that would allow you to increase or decrease any give slides by x value, rather than just moving them to a given position on the slider. Imagine being able to increase contrast, clarity, noise reduction and sharpening all by a certain amount with the touch of one button. You could then truly have a preset you could use as a universal sharpening preset. Or any such combination of adjustments... who's with me on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate