• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Map view/module - Ability to geotag photos

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm probably at the low end of the prosumer category when it comes to photography. I've been using Lightroom for a couple of years. I love the multiple platform feature on the new CC, but geotagging images has always been important for me (enough so that onboard GPS is a mandatory feature when I look for a camera). I had been adding locations to older images in what's now CC Classic. 

Are we going to get that ability in the new CC? 

Even more importantly, will the new AI-based search allow us to do things like pull pictures based on location? And, if so, will we be able to do things like define a radius? This was all possible when we had the maps panel, but seems to be challenging now.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Update: GPS field is now editable as of LrD 5.0. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 206 Replies 206
206 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i wanted a place to store all my photos and have some extra benefits. I used to have google photos and that does faces, locations even scans the photos for items like beach/cloud/house etc names. Now i'am missing the most important feature. Showing a map of where the photo's where taken. It is easy to find back to pictures you stored. I don't mind paying the few bucks but i didn't even blink to think something so trivial isn't there. You already show the geo tags with a picture so why can't i search or have a map of the world to see those locations? Does no tool has the holy grail these days. Just sync multiple devices, locally too when needed and have faces/tags/geo/object scanning etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a text description of a location is not only insufficient, but also not working. You type in location name, City and Country (Prague, Czechia, Europe) and you get minimap ignoring it and showing even wrong continent (Somewhere in Salvador, central America). After clicking on it, it opens google maps with mostly accurate result. This is just mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least Show geotagging in Information Panel, with link to maps ( like webview).
For me as adventure photographer this is essential.
Will this come up? Otherwise Lr is useless and I will cancel the abo.
Urgent, pls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really would like to have a geo tagging feature on LR CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I adopted my workflow: First edit in LR mobile on iPad, then geotag the synced cloud-stored pictures in LR Classic.
If I now open the pictures in LR mobile again, I do net see geotag informations. And when I export the pics from LR mobile, even with active export geotag information checkbox, the exported jpgs do not include GPS data. So I have to export from LR Classic on my desktop. Annoying..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to start with importing the photos to LR Classic and geotag them there. Then sync to the cloud. This method will allow the geo-tagging to be retained in the cloud based apps.

This is the way I do it, and it works. But it's not ideal for people who don't use LR Classic as their main editing application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to +1 this thread. Adding GPS to my photos is an essential part of my process. I won't be able to fully move to Lr CC until it's added more fully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes why is it not on Android or iOS? Even free google photos and Flickr has this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of ability to geotag photos is currently the biggest obstacle in my photography workflow and makes me question going all-in on Lightroom CC and leaving Classic behind. Currently I have to export photos and then use another application to add the geo information to the JPEGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lightroom for well over 10 years and loved this program for effective cataloging, organisation and publishing to cloud. Will be reluctantly be cancelling my subscription and moving to an alternate program. Unfortunately made the change to Lightroom CC and when making changes to my PC lost Lightroom 5. So can't revert to my perpetual license copy. Had hoped they would do something about adding .... file renaming capability (not just on export), geotagging, smart albums, colour coding. These were all critical for my workflow and for photo/file organisation. Suspect they are not interested as particularly photo renaming makes gives a level of future "portability". 
Whilst I could change to the Lightroom CC / Classic / Photoshop plan, this only has 20 GB of data removing one of the key benefits of having all the photos available on mobile devices. 
As someone who is very much a casual photographer, at $181 AUD/year this is too much. Especially considering there are no indications some of this functionality will be added and being an ongoing fee. 
Our household is basically all Apple products, so will be capturing via photo / iCloud (only have around 100gb of photos / videos). Export to ON1 for updating and re import to iPhoto to have modified photo's available on all devices. Whilst this is a nowhere as neat as all in Lightroom, as there is an extra import / export step. However will mean I always have access to photos and through ON1 can enhance photos, rename, add GPS data and colour coding. All for a nett cost of $60/yr (iCloud) plus pay for software update only when required. Compared with $181 for current plan (without functionality I need) or $360 for the full photography plan giving the functionality I require. 
ON1is also developing some type of sync between devices, this might allow bypassing Photo app ... lets wait and see

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a map module on Mac and iOS like in Apple Photos would be invaluable to me and would remove one of my last major issues with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A follow up question: is the GPS info still attached to the image, that has been synced to the iPad (and is just not shown there) or is the GPS info no longer attached to the image when it "arrives" at the iPad ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently trying to convince my family to centralise on Lightroom (the cloud version) as our family photo repository.

I'm inevitably asked if it has a map view? We look for photos by location, date or who's in the image. The latter two have dedicated areas, but there's currently (Dec 2019 release macOS) no good way to find an image based on where it was taken (i.e. search by place name is inadequate).

Is a map view (a la the map module in lightroom classic) on the road map?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure it is in the works. Adobe seems to be very slowly (but probably deliberately) adding in features that are present in Lightroom Classic. Even though I love Lightroom and even like the cloud version for all its major shortcomings, I would caution against using Lightroom Cloud for a family repository though. There is no real sharing of images between accounts nor can you share storage space. You can share web galleries but that is a faint shadow of real sharing. Lightroom is also not a simple thing for people to understand even in the highly simplified cloud version. You're far better off using something like Apple's photos (if you're a Mac iOS ecosystem family) or Google Photos. I think Microsoft offers something like this too as does dropbox and others. They have robust geotagging, easy sharing between accounts and sharing of purchased storage in the cloud (i.e. family accounts). Also typical non-photographer family members tend to just get how they work and how you share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to say the same as above: LR is really not the best tool for family sharing and casual photography, but rather a photographic focused ecosystem. I’d go for Goold Photos or apple photos. Plus you’ll probably have much cheaper storage and see more innovations from big tech companies than on LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Photos and iCloud Photos are reasonable suggestions. As it happens, I have already attempted to use them both for this project and in both cases hit some limitation which made them undesirable.

LR is currently the least annoying of the 3 for my specific needs. With a basic map view and decent keyword UI it would be a powerful tool for my family to collaboratively (through sharing an account) organise generations worth of photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no location info on iOS, Android or web. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know about Apple Photos, but Google Photos doesn't geotag photos from a tracklog or have a map view (just a mini map with the location of a single geotagged photo), and Microsoft Photos doesn't show any metadata at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know Google Photos but Apple Photos has a map function and works incredibly well. The storage plans are also (un)comparable:

Apple:
50GB: $0.99
200GB: $2.99
2TB: $9.99

Adobe:
1TB "Cloudy": $9.99
20GB "Classic": $9.99
1TB "Classic": $19.99
Note: they say monthly but you can't take only one month, it's yearly

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant see “LOCATION INFO” option in Lightroom mobile v5.1.0, on the previous version(v4.4.1) of lightroom it was available...i am a travel photographer, so GEOTAGGING / LOCATION INFO feature is really important for me.. how to enable it.. please guide me

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matrix camera colour profile Panasonic dmc g3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

this needs to be set on a Share target level under More Info.
It's disabled by default.
Meaning, if you have enabled it for "Export to Camera roll" you need to enable it for e.g. "Share to ..." too.

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Are you referring to the information being in added to images that are shared (Share icon)?

If so, this needs to be set on a Share target level under More Info.
It's disabled by default.
Meaning, if you have enabled it for "Export to Camera roll" you need to enable it for e.g. "Share to ..." too.

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t speak for Amber directly but the ability to at least see a location was in Lightroom mobile at one point. It just wasn’t something you could add or change. On desktop version you could see and edit. Web version just see. When exporting it the photo is geotagged that goes along for the ride. But in Lightroom mobile there isn’t even a way to know if the photo is Geotagged but you can search by location so Lightroom mobile has access to the info. It’s really weird implementation at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to look at the locations I took my pictures. Classic nails this so well.  This is a table stakes feature.

I would really like to move to Lightroom CC and conceptually I "get it" that the cloud share is the way of the future.  However, for me at least, the lack of the map module capability present in classic rules Lightroom CC out for me until it is developed.  I so hope Adobe will add this to LR_CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate