• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Map view/module - Ability to geotag photos

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm probably at the low end of the prosumer category when it comes to photography. I've been using Lightroom for a couple of years. I love the multiple platform feature on the new CC, but geotagging images has always been important for me (enough so that onboard GPS is a mandatory feature when I look for a camera). I had been adding locations to older images in what's now CC Classic. 

Are we going to get that ability in the new CC? 

Even more importantly, will the new AI-based search allow us to do things like pull pictures based on location? And, if so, will we be able to do things like define a radius? This was all possible when we had the maps panel, but seems to be challenging now.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Update: GPS field is now editable as of LrD 5.0. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 207 Replies 207
207 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've fixed the thread marking. You couldn't change it as it came from the old Get Sat site instead of Sprinklr. It requires Admin access for that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Lightroom Mobile not to have this is ridiculous. I’ve pretty much given up on Adobe with their subscription model and lousy support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sorting that @Rikk 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both of you 🙏

Fingers crossed this feature will be implemented soon. 

Jonas 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is there still no way to see the place where a photo was shot, ideally on a map? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE add the ability to Geotag photos in Lightroom!  This is the one thing keeping me from moving to Lightroom from Lightroom Classic.  If I could just geotag a bunch of photos at the same time, it would be awesome.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is now looking very nice but... still no mapping functionality.

I cannot import a GPX trace and add to a batch of photos, and there is no way to view a map of my geotagged photo library. These features are preventing any move away from Lightroom Classic, and would dearly love to have my photos and edits synchronised across several devices which is only possible with new Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@samuel_jessop as a general remark, and seeing the recent updates on LR mobile, it seems like focus is more en the social and learning aspects of LR than on technological aspects. If you want to keep the advanced features provided by classic, I feel you'll need to stick with classic for a bit longer. But that's just my feeling, of course, and as there is no readmap, it'as about the best you can get 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@antoine_hlmn I think you're absolutely right. While I love using Lightroom Classic, I am concerned that eventually the two teams will be merged, and there is the risk of losing functionality along the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@samuel_jessop you can use Adobe cloud from within Lightroom classic. Check out this article https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-mobile-desktop-features.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's another topic and it's a very intresting one. If you hear Adobe's reps and official communication, there are no plans for discontinuing Classic. However, it's a secret for no one that maintaining two similar softwares is economically not the best idea. And adobe is money oriented before being product oriented. This is only my opinion as user, but my feeling is that they'll be killing (actively or passively) one solution for another. My guess (feeling) is that you'll get less and less significant classic updates at the cost of social and cloud features on cloudy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom (not Classic) especially on iPadOS it should be possible to view more Details about the photos.

1)

In particular the full EXIF data/GPS Location (best on Map or even if it is present).

This is really too less as of now although there would be quite a lot of space left in the Info Panel at the right side. 

2)

Also in the Overview Metadata overlay you can only choose between Format OR Picture Info like ISO etc. but why not both? Format is top right, Picture Infos are at the bottom. This should be in general more detailed and customizable to show more at once. 
Example: Format top right, Rating or Flag Top left, Picture Info (ISO, Aperture etc) Bottom left others like Tag/Sync etc Bottom right. 
A little more like on PC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thant would be so helpful. Also, i would like to be able to keyword in Lightroom mobile and have it sync back to the desktop. 

In addition, the ability to add a photo to move the photo to more than one album at a time.

But your suggestion for expanded information on the photo is a very good suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe team,

i've been using Lightroom CC for one year now, particularly on the ipad.

One of the few critical features which are missing is:

a MAP view of the photos, just like there is in the Photos app on the iPad or iPhone.

This is a map which you can scroll, zoom in, zoom out, see your pictures where they were taken, and click on a group of pictures in a specific place to look at these.

This feature is fantastic on the iPad's Photos. I don't see why it couldn't be as good in Lightroom.

With it however, do not forget that there will always be photos for which the geo-tagging location didn't work for the camera (for plenty of possible reasons), and the user will always need the ability to add the location manually afterwards through Lightroom (like it was possible in Elements).

All of this is a must-have for an app like Lightroom.

Many thanks for everything

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to avoid using Lightroom Classic or even an external tool to manually geotag photos. Therefore I would appreciate a geotagging feature in Lightroom CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael, When I upload any image from photos to the adobe icloud I do not see the mapping?

David21768042uo0d_1-1638492060909.jpeg

Any ideas as to why not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, today all of the location information is showing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my support for this request. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: GPS field is now editable as of LrD 5.0. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will maps / location data for the iOS version become available? I've been waiting for this for years now (probably like almost every other user).  The lack of this always makes me want to go back to Apple's photo app where it has been available since the beginning ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on if this is going to be implimented?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ecosystem for geotagging photos is currently broken:

• Camera manufacturers have developed their own apps that connect to some of their cameras, but they can be buggy and slow, especially for cameras that don't have Bluetooth for camera/app pairing.
  • Mobile apps exist (for example, Geotag Photos Pro and GeoTagr), but they require additional steps in the import workflow and sometimes produce sidecar files to RAW files that Lightroom CC ignores when importing.

I suggest that geotag capturing is added as a function to Lightroom Mobile, taking advantage of the location information on our phones and eliminating the need for clunky first- or third-party tagging applications:

• Before going out to photograph, a user would open Lightroom Mobile on their phone and select "Start recording location info".
  • There would be options for 1 hour/4 hours/8 hours/indefinite recording.
  • In the background Lightroom Mobile would save time and location data to a location log file in the user's cloud.
  • When photos are imported into Lightroom at any point in the future, if there is a match between the datetime stamp on the imported photo and a datetime stamp in the location log file, the photo is tagged with that GPS location.

In addition:

• The user would need to be reminded to make sure their camera's time matches their phone time.
  • They would have the option to clear their location logs manually, or to automatically delete them every 30 days.
  • They would be warned that logging GPS data could reduce their battery life.
  • For simplicity, they would not have access to the location log file -- it would be invisible to the end user.

This approach would give users nearly all the convenience of the built-in phone camera apps for geotagging photos, but for any digital camera while the user is in the Lightroom ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate