• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Map view/module - Ability to geotag photos

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm probably at the low end of the prosumer category when it comes to photography. I've been using Lightroom for a couple of years. I love the multiple platform feature on the new CC, but geotagging images has always been important for me (enough so that onboard GPS is a mandatory feature when I look for a camera). I had been adding locations to older images in what's now CC Classic. 

Are we going to get that ability in the new CC? 

Even more importantly, will the new AI-based search allow us to do things like pull pictures based on location? And, if so, will we be able to do things like define a radius? This was all possible when we had the maps panel, but seems to be challenging now.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Update: GPS field is now editable as of LrD 5.0. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 206 Replies 206
206 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mobile phone can do it, the geo co-ordinates are already in the meta data, but I cant seem to find a way of sifting my thousands of photos by location. When I google "map location in Lightroom" a number of suggestions come up but I can't find the map module. Where is it? It obviously exists because other uses discuss it online. Its frustrating because it should be such a simple way to find photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "map module" in any of the Lightroom apps (there is one in Lightroom Classic, which is probably the references that you've seen online). However, if you are using the Lightroom Desktop app on yoiur MacOS system, select All Photos then click on the search box at the top centre of the grid. That will produce a list of all searchable "facets", one of which is "Location", clicking on that will produce a long list of all current locations contained in the library. Tap on a specific location to see the photos that contain that location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of ability to geotag ruins the "mobile" workflow. After a trip (on which I only have a phone and sometimes a tablet), I still need to run the desktop Lightroom after getting back home, to geotag. In the meantime the photos shared to social media during the trip lack the gls coordinates. geotagging seems to be such an obvious feature for the mobile version, I am super surprised it is not available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting very frustarretd that Adobe are taking so long to bring this feature over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been waiting for years for this feature... Please Adobe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am desperately wanting a way to geotag photos from a GPX file or similar (ie writing the GPS coordinates), and then view all photos on a map. This is such a rich was to view your images, and also a quick way to find them. Lightroom Classic has had this for a long time. Please implement this feature as soon as possible, if it doesn't arrive soon, I will investigate alternatives and most likely cancel my subscription. This feature is incredibly valuable to me. 

Some cameras have GPS modules built in, but this has come less common with modern mirrorless cameras, plus the ease of using a smartphone app to record your location (Geotagr / Geotag Photos Pro 2 etc). So IMO its even more important now to have this feature. 

Map view:

1. Lightroom Classic has had this for years & years..
  2. Darktable has it
  3. On1 Photo Raw
  4. Apple Photos has it
  5. Google Photos has it

And I'm sure there are others. Please Adobe, give us this feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liek you, I have been waiting this feature for years and years...I have started a new thread. Fingers crossed Adobe have this in the pipeline soon 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR desktop, GPS field is editable since LrD 5.0. However, that’s no real solution, who wants to type in GPS coordinates manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@UlrichR - you can type GPS co-ordinates manually for individual photos (this feature came out relatively recently).

But improting a GPX file is the end goal for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave.Flanagan I think thsi is a great idea. I posted somethign simialr a few years back, but like all of us....we're still waiting on Adobe to impelent something.... Just ebign able to import GPX files into LR would be a HUGE step forward to me. This feature in needed asap IMO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh, another update goes by, and I cannot see any implentation of this 😞 Will Adobe ever listen?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4.5 years later.....and we're still waiting....My patience is running thin wth Adobe. The new selection features are cool, but come on give us this feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah...6.5 years later and we are still waiting on this. Why is Adobe ignoring this feature? There are many of us asking for it, many competitors apps have this functionality. I am starting to think about cancelling my subscription as Adobe isn't listening, and this is an essential piece of my workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour je souhaiterais avoir la possibilité de voir la géolocalisation de la photo à partir de mon iPhone 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic, you can search visually in a map for photos taken with GPS data. This is extremly useful and there's no reason why it should be in the cloud version of the app/mobile app. I often scroll through months just looking for archive footage, trying to remember when I went to certain locations.

I would also, in further development, like to be able to text search for an address, part of a city and other geographical instances like lakes or mountains, preferably with a proximity setting. This should be easy to achieve considering it can be connected to GPS data.

Text search could also be improved so that you can search for photos of signs or documents containing the search string, for example a search for "town hall" would bring up photos of houses reading "town hall" on its facade.

Any comments and solutions much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post this in ideas, one idea after the other in separate posts. Search beforehand the ideas for similar ideas than yours, where you could add your suggestion and upvote. The more votes this idea gets, the higher the suggestion gets on the to do list.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this in ideas? That's at leaset the category I clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still desperately want/need this feature, please just give us a map module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adobe - its's 2023 and we are still waiting. Can you at least comment on this? I've had it confirmed Adobe support chat that this feature is in fact being worked on - but its taking years & years; whats the hold up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that they told you thry were working on it, really hope it's true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I was surprised as well. In fact I've had it confirmed on two separate instances, as I asked another time to confirm there was no confusion. It's rather frustrating it's taking so bloody long though. I do wish Adobe would focus a bit more on implementing some of the more requested features (ones that are still missing in cloudy vs LrC), rather than more and more "discover" / social aspects. @Rikk Flohr: Photography can you chime in at all here? I would love a roadmap of some features, but understand this is rarely communicated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a lot of focus on social media and presets – things I rarely or never use – and less focus on pro user requested features. Adobe should be less consumer focused and listen more to their professional user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just signed up for Lightroom on the Mac.  I liked the map shown under the Exif data for photos which had a GPS location. Are their any plans to implement this on the iPad app?

Gordon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 1.56.12 PM.pngYes I was surprised they mentioned it was being worked on as well, but it's taking forever which is incredibly frustrating. And I agree, so many "social" keep being added which no one asked for. -does any one sue these? I personally have never used the "discover" section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can pls add geotagging module to the Lightroom Mobile? I'd like to start with iPad only workflow in LR when traveling but it lack this feature (esp. when shooting in RAW using mirrorless camera without GPS module). Would be grat to add location manualy or from recroded track. 

Kind regards, Aleksander

Votes

Translate

Translate