• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support for keyword and metadata editing

Contributor ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really, really like to be able to do keywording on my iPad in the LR mobile app. Could save me a lot of Google-time back at the desktop trying to figure just where I was standing for that shot, and what's the name of that building, mountain, river, village etc, etc

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 229 Replies 229
229 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love being able to rate images and do light editing of images in Lightroom Mobile--it is much more convenient than having my computer open and sitting down for an extended session to go through unprocessed images. It allows me to use my downtime more productively.

The other task that is time-consuming and super valuable to me is assigning keywords, primarily people's names, to my images for future searches. This seems like a relatively easy addition to both the web and mobile interfaces, and would allow me to make steady progress on this task in small batches.

Similarly, I don't have access to keywords in the mobile or web apps for search or sorting. The only ways to view images is by collection, and then once you're in a collection you can filter or sort by stars. Ideally, I could see just my 4+ star images or just my images of a particular person. And then I'd be able to view a slideshow of any set of images I've filtered.

This would be particularly useful for the web because I can only use one computer with my Lightroom project file which means if I want to show the images on a larger screen than my laptop, it involves a time-consuming setup. If I could access the images from my adobe account, filter them, and show a slideshow, my experience of Lightroom would be dramatically improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title, Caption, Keywords are the main items I want to deal with on my mobile device. None of which is possible. So please adobe let me add my voice to those saying this is not a nice to have but for many of us an essential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to have the ability in LR mobile to create and edit metadata & keywording while using LR Mobile on the iPhone. This would be great while travelling on aircraft and vehicles etc as keywording shoots can be time consuming, what better time to do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also i suggest applying the keywords like the spray tool in Lr so that i will use my finger to set couple of keywords on the grid view

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywording is the next essential feature to add. To continue working on images I've imported to LR Desktop and preparing them for the next phase of work, I want to be able to add more specific keywords while away to indicate the groupings or projects they'll go into.

Related to adding keywords, it would be great if we could filter the images shown in Lr Mobile, so although the collection wouldn't change, the images being displayed from the collection would be filtered against an include/doesn't-include keyword list, or stars and pick/reject flags.

Adding keywords could be done with a finger - have a list of keywords, "pick up" one with a finger and then touch it onto each image. That would be neat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2015 Sep 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just keywords, it's all the metadata. For me this is about TITLE and CAPTION as well as KEYWORDS.

Sorry for shouting but I just bought CC and am stunned to find that metadata is neglected ! It's literally left out of Mobile.

This is a deal breaker, frankly, for one client of mine, a painter. Her catalog is photographs of paintings. They all have Titles and several pieces of information in the caption. I cannot use Lightroom for her without that information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Mobile needs captions and titles. Then it can serve as a mobile gallery. Also, editing such attributes is an ideal task for editing while on the couch with an ipad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excellent point, I need a solution for captioning/titling images. Side point: Why don't iphones (not sure about android) have a way of adding a caption to a photo taken by a phone? such an oversight!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! It is nearly a year since I made a similar comment and even then, this thread had already been going for almost another year. I guess in the Kingdom of Adobe, Lightroom is but one castle amongst many and the poor peasants that work in the Lightroom castle and really know how it works have no say in how the castle could be improved. Best start looking for alternatives because castles crumble through neglect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Useless without key wording - still have to address picture when it syncs to Lightroom -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...another update to lightroom mobile today, version 2.0 and still no sign of keywording feature.

How disappointing!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photosmith did great keywording on a mobile device considering the small screen size. However the sync was always a bit spotty for me, and you have to be at home on the same network to sync.

Keywording isn't just for pros. I know people who are amateur photographers who keyword (they call it tag) their photos so they can find buildings, places, people.

To do this on your iPad out and about would be fantastic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an aside, machine recognition keywording development seems to have accelerated of late, and I'm keeping an eye on things like the Wordroom plugin (slow and clunky at present).

I can see keywording on a mobile device being very appealing if it suggested keywords for you. Perhaps the top 5 being ticked automatically and the user being able to select more or less for each photo.

To make bandwidth a non-issue, as the photos are already in Creative Cloud for LR Mobile, perhaps Adobe's CC could submit the photos directly to a machine tagging service for you and then suggest tags? Of course only if the user wants this to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the most useful feature in lightroom mobile would be the ability to add/edit keywords to photos. iPad would be the ideal tool to do this, more than editing photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a retired programmer/analyst with 30 years experience, mostly in online human interface applications, I am appalled at the generation of kids with noses in code who never seem to surface and actually observe how people use programs. The lack of keywording in Lightroom mobile proves the point beyond any shadow of doubt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think whats funny, is that this is supposed to be a complimentary application, as that is what a tablet is a compliment to your computer whether it be a laptop or desktop. The main reason I don't use Lightroom on an iPad for editing is the fact it's not color calibrated and results differ greatly when you bring the edits to a computer.

This makes me think that Adobe mostly is creating apps for average everyday users instead of the professionals or serious hobbyists that take photography more seriously. I think if Adobe is going the road of that Apple has taken with it's apps, dummy them down so you have to look elsewhere.

I think with the move that Adobe has taken with Lightroom recently, not needing a paid subscription to use, they should include more professional features for those who pay to use Lightroom and Photoshop. When you include in the description that the update has features that makes it easy to find images, I don't think colors or star ratings, I think of keywords. The fact that they haven't added this feature won't make me stop using Lightroom on the desktop, but I don't go into Lightroom on the iPad nearly as often, as I stated above, I don't edit images on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats funny about this statement, is Lightroom was supposedly developed with the help of photographers so a program could be made that photographers could use without the need of Photoshop. Bring the same mentality to Lightroom on the iPad and I guarantee a lot of people on this forum would be happier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am appalled at the generation of kids with noses in code who never seem to surface and actually observe how people use programs"

Calm down... we're talking about keywording in an app, not a "generation of kids".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about keywording per se, it's about all the metadata. Respect it. Show it.

I need titles, descriptions, and keywords. And I need better support for them in shared catalogs on desktops and laptops as well as tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, LR mobile is all about viewing and finding. I have no interest in editing or adding metadata from mobile. But I do want to be able to search by keyword or EXIF info and to be able to sync smart collections (another thread)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest folks look at Mylio. It has issues with DNG so doesn't work for me, but it can do captions, keywords and other basic metadata, and syncs wonderfully. It also can pass Lr edits back and forth via sidecar files automagically, so it works more or less like Lr Mobile, but WITH metadata. I've given up on Lr Mobile, since I think there must be a marketing/policy reason for Adobe refusing to implement pretty basic metadata functionality, when tons of other apps have it. It's so obvious I doubt that it's either been overlooked or is technically infeasible; must be a deliberate decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a pity that Adobe just do not let their customers know what their plans in this regard are. I would use the mobile module, while travelling, to update my metadata. For me, it would be the perfect tool. Alas..... Adobe are wiser ...... and know best what we need.

I totally ignore the Lightroom mobile module, would not consider using any of its develop features. I would love to know what percentage of the Lightroom population use the mobile develop features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree with this! Please please please Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't bother with the mobile editing. A tablet is too small, usually uncalibrated, and has an inadequate color gamut. There's really two purposes for LR Mobile: showing clients their portfolio or doing work in preparation for editing back on the desktop. Both of those require being able to selectively show photos (filter the collection based on keywords, or ranking, or color tags). All we have now are pick/reject but no way to show or hide groups.

Preparation for editing back at the desk would be adding or deleting keywords, rankings, other metadata so the work is organized by the time I'm home again.

The selective display based on criteria could have been done a long time ago. Maybe keywords and metadata are coming later once they've figured out a reasonable scheme for doing this on tablets.

Meanwhile I'll look at the Mylio that Rob mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylio seems to be a complete backup and image management system. And it is pricy. Anyone have experience with Photosmith?

Votes

Translate

Translate