• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crash on using Select Subject or Object Selection Tool on Windows

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the new update for Photoshop v23.0. I cannot use the object seletion tool anymore without Photoshop crashing after a few steps.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Ok final data point.. disabling of SMT was having a performance impact on other activities I need to accomplish with higher multithreading requirement. Re-enabled SMT and spent about 10 minutes opening up about various images and used the object selection tool and others. 

All things are stable now. 

Looks like the crashing was a result of the MSI gameboost function within bios being turned on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Hi all,

Please update the Nvidia Graphics drivers to the latest version, which came out last week, and let us know if that helps to resolve the crash issue. For steps, see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#app-crash-with-tools

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

@carlo.molinari Thanks. It's crashing in DirectML.dll. Engineering is looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 236 Replies 236
236 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, in this case it would be Scenario 1: The computer restarts because of a Stop error, and Event ID 41 contains a Stop error (bug check) code

I can click a multitude of tools within Photoshop and immediately cause a complete system crash (Event ID 41) (object selection tool, healing tool, color replacement tool, occasionally just opening an image causes it) Many times I don't even have to interact with the image file, just the action of clicking on those tools themselves (the icon) will cause a crash/Event 41. Seeing as this is the only application on my system having any issues, and this is a newer system build / OS install within the past 6 months that has not had any issues, and still continues to have no issues in daily use, outside of Photoshop... this leads me to one conclusion.. Photoshop is the culprit causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, let's try this...

Use CCD tool to wipe everything, clean install Ps, restart machine and open Ps... crash?

If so, wipe everything again and install Ps beta, restart machine and open Ps beta... same issue?  Remember, Ps beta is not a trial, it is a full functional app available to any customer that has a Photo or All apps subscription. There is no time limit to using it as long as you have a vaild Adobe photo subscription.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert heyyy.. success here..

Used the CCP tool to remove ~13 items -> rebooted. Reinstalled regular PS 25.0 and had the same results of a crash 

Used CCP tool again, removed same ~13 items -> rebooted.. Installed Photoshop Beta strawberry fields.. I seem to be able ot do all the things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did end up having one crash with the object selection tool, but in ~30 minutes of use, it's been very functional. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news on the progress @michaelw9942706 

There is a new Ps beta that was released last night: Adobe Photoshop Version: 25.1.0 20230920.m.2336 7cff1e8 x64

Curious if you update and if it is stable for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Probem:
My entire computer crashed every time I click on the object selection tool or if I go to select/sky or subject

Things I tried that DID WORK:
Turning off Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT) in my BIOS

Things I tried that did not work:
preferences/performace/disabling my entire graphics card in the

preferences/performace/ unchecking the multithreaded compositing
preferences/Image Processing/Selection Processing / selectingmore stable

My System:
Windows 11(updated)
1 GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 (updated drivers)
X570 / Aorus Pro Wifi Motherboard
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
2 monitors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@steven26966139 @CoryShubert 

Alright additional information, while the beta version is much more stable, over the course of an hour or two last night and this morning.. still had a handful of complete system crashes.

I too have an AMD 5800X. After seeing your post about SMT, I went into bios and disabled it. I swapped back to production Photoshop 25.0 I now no longer have any crashes after about 20 minutes of testing. Looks to be an issue with Photoshop and SMT utilization on AMD Ryzen systems.. at least in the 5xxx series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, spoke too soon. Crashed again, and it actually popped up a blue screen for a second, wasn't able to see the error before it auto power cycled. Unfortunately it didn't result in a photoshop crash log. Will attempt to use Beta + disable of SMT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, tired of testing. Last data point for now. Regardless of having SMT disabled, kept getting many crashes. Noticed in the advanced settings I did have gameboost mode checked on, which is a slight overclock. Disabled that and left SMT disabled for now. Have done many iterations of clicking object selection tool within 10+ images with success. It's interesting the action of just clicking the object selection tool results in an instant 15-20% CPU utilization spike without even using it. 

But for now, it seems quite stable. 

If I get motivated I'll try turning SMT back on with gameboost disabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michaelw9942706 that actually makes perfect sense - when you select that tool it begins to analyze the image to give you results when hovering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok final data point.. disabling of SMT was having a performance impact on other activities I need to accomplish with higher multithreading requirement. Re-enabled SMT and spent about 10 minutes opening up about various images and used the object selection tool and others. 

All things are stable now. 

Looks like the crashing was a result of the MSI gameboost function within bios being turned on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate