• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS6 Slow compared to CS5.1 with large files

Contributor ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS CS6 has a lot of enhancements and great features. it launches very fast, and the control is very responsive and smooth.

although i am experiencing some speed issues with very large files. compared to CS5.1, where i don't have any of these issues.

the files are PSBs, 9000x8000px, 80+layers, RGB, 8bit

i have the same performance settings for both, cs6 and cs5
i am working on MAC PRO, 16GB ram, SSD scratch, 2TB raid, Radeon HD 5770, Snow Leopard.

the main issues i have are:

- no refresh when i move the curve on adjustment layer. the refresh comes after i let go.
- jagged pan
- extremely slow moving of layers and layer groups, even if they are with smaller dimensions (800x400pix)

again, working with files with less layers or smaller dimensions is very fast.

thanks for your help and support!
m.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015
Fixed in CS6 13.0.1 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 405 Replies 405
405 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue here. it's a macbook air with plenty of free ram, osx 10.8
no plugins and no scripts running.
i suspect this issue is connected with thumbnails issue because with thumbnails off (layers panel off) it works really fast.

I can say that this only happens with files with a lot of layers (ie 300 layers in 480x800 android mock up file). but it happens even if most of them are hidden and i'm only dragging 1 layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers palette off? Do you mean you just closed the layers palette? Or that you changed the layers palette settings to not show thumbnails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both these methods work: Hiding layers palette and changing the layers palette to no thumbs option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, nudging is something we know about, and I'm testing a fix for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was misunderstanding:
i get the progress bar on the large (white dots) document, right after i finish moving the dots. moving speed is ok for me and comparable with cs 5.1, but why the progress bar after the movement is finished? i don't see the point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

regarding the other slowness complain i had.
please ignore it, i discovered the same issues with 5.1 too.
i have very sluggish brush when painting over a bunch of layer effects.
bit this is another topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having slow issues with photoshop 6 as well. I'm a professional photoshop user since 1993, work on 10-15gb files with 100+ layers. I use a MacPro 2x2.26ghz quad core intel xeon. 32GB Ram. Just did a clean install of lion onto an 500gb SSD hard drive. All my files are SATA connected with a 6TB Raid 0. Nothing except for photoshop, bridge and Capture one is installed on this machine. I experience delays on all fronts. even trying to silhouette a 279mb 2 layer file is painfully slow today.

I've disabled graphics processor
Memory usage is set to 70% (21772mb)
cache levels 4
cache tile size 1024
automatically save recovery information every 10 minutes (how much does this slow the system down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, make sure you have the 13.0.1 update installed.

Then, if that doesn't solve it, you need to provide a lot more specific information about what exactly is slow, and what troubleshooting you've done on your system to identify the cause of the slowdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I download this update? My photoshop computer doesn't have internet connection. I only have wireless internet and it doesn't have a wireless card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download it from Adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've PS13.0.1 x64. Slower than cs5.1 in almost evry reation: drawing, moving object, applyng/deapplying masks, handling etc

System info:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0.1 (13.0.1 20120808.r.519 2012/08/08:21:00:00) x64
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 4
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3411 MHz
Built-in memory: 16359 MB
Free memory: 13062 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 14736 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 50 %
Image tile size: 128K
Image cache levels: 4
OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
OpenGL Drawing Mode: Normal
OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.
OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.
OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
Video Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Video Card Renderer: Quadro 600/PCIe/SSE2
Display: 1
Display Bounds:= top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 1080, right: 1920
Video Card Number: 1
Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro 600
OpenCL Version:
Driver Version: 9.18.13.593
Driver Date: 20120818000000.000000-000
Video Card Driver: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colori
Video Card Caption: NVIDIA Quadro 600
Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
Video Rect Texture Size: 16384
Serial number: :P
Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\
Temporary file path: C:\Users\rick\AppData\Local\Temp\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled
Scratch volume(s):
C:\, 119,1G, 15,1G free
Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Required\
Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\
Additional Plug-ins folder: not set

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Chris,

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a note on this board saying that I downloaded the update but that it would not install and asked that I call someone at Adobe.

Do you have any advice as to why I was not able to install this upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea offhand, you haven't provided any information about why the update won't install. But if you moved or deleted application files, that might prevent the update from installing. You need to contact Customer Support, and give them information about the exact error you're getting from the updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does this mean we all paid money to work more slowly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is simply documenting bugs and issues found since the application shipped, some of which are already fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2012 Oct 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

I too have the slow down issues, changing my prefs to tall and fat did the trick! back in cs5.5 i changed them but couldn't remember to what. once I changed them in cs6 things seem to run fine! (not the same but a lot better!)

another thing i tried was 100% ram, that too sorted the problem, but that's probably not the best thing to do 😮

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris,
Any ideas on when the sluggishness in nudging is going to be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. Also I'm seeing some things that suggest that part of the problem is due to Adobe and NVidia not coming together better. I use other software that forces me to keep up with the latest drivers, but it seems PS CS6 Extended is faster and smoother with old drivers. Things like the circle around the eraser brush no longer showing (since PS CS 3 Extended actually, still happens in 3 which I use at my office). I'm no tech but seems to be related to drivers.

I can't switch to any other brand than NVidia and who would want to anyway.

Is this sluggishness happening mainly to those using NVidia Drivers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working closely with all the GPU vendors to make sure their drivers continue to improve. But we don't control their code, testing, or release schedules.

Yes, the multiple cursor problem was an NVidia driver bug (fixed ages ago now).

We have identified the cause of some of the problems discussed here (layers palette drawing, snap to layer bounds, etc.), and could not reproduce some of the other problems (which are likely due to something system specific).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac Pro 10.8.2 with 16GB of RAM and the ATI Radeon HD 5870.....my performance on Photoshop CS6 is still awful. Even the interface is laggy in places.

-Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read the previous responses to see what you can do about that, and help narrow down the cause?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have and generally most things helped.....some.....but overall performance compared to CS5 is really disappointing. Thumbnails definitely still an issue even after 13.0.1.

I was also hoping with Creative Cloud that Adobe would be pushing out performance updates and tweaks a lot quicker. We've only had 1 minor update to PS since it was released in May! I though this cloud thing was to allow for faster updates?

-Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, then something else is probably wrong on your system -- because other people are seeing the layer slowdowns mentioned here, and not much else.

The other slowdowns we've seen have been due to corrupt fonts, bugs in antivirus software, bugs in third party plugins, bugs in video drivers (primarily on Windows), and one guy with a bad hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it with both PS CS 3 and 6 Extended, the circle around the brush works for while and then just dissapears until I reboot? It can't be system specific. I'm using version 3 on a Vista machine at work with GeForce GPU and it happens there. I'm using 6 at home on a Windows 7 machine with a GeForce GPU. The GPU is the only thing the two have in common and even they are different generations of GeForce but use the same drivers

I see the relationship between Adobe and NVidia as equal. Both hold equal responsibility to make sure that as they do releases and updates they merge nicely. I only use official releases and never use beta drivers.

Where it troubles me is with the eraser and it happens almost everytime I'm working on a project. The circle around the target simply disappears and I can't tell the size without having to check it other ways than visually and I can no longer use the brackets to control size. Also how do I do precise erasing around edges if I can't see it. So I take the five minutes or so to reboot only to see it dissapear again before long.

I can't complain though unless I also applaud PS. As it evolved over the years all I can say is bravo and it's the most stable and reliable of any graphics or 3D software I use. Kudos to Adobe for that. Brilliant bit off software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and thank you for responding. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate