• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Doesn't save files to external drive formatted for ExFat - macOS 10.15 Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2019 CC 20.0.6 versus MacOS Catalina
When I'm trying to save a project file in PS, it's always stopped the saving method and the file becomes unusable. So I always must to make projects from the start... When will come the fixes? Does anyone know any solution? :'(

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 138 Replies 138
138 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that a few weeks ago and has not helped fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update of PS done 30 min ago, with the latest version and still the same problem ... here is the Spindump
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2suazm3o0xb3n0k/spindump.txt?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone try the following:

Navigate to Preferences > Plug-ins and uncheck 'Allow Extensions to Connect to the Internet' and 'Load Extension Panels' - then quit and restart.

Does saving to the external, exFAT drive work now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what's going on Adobe ??? we can not work anymore ... why an old problem that had been erased by all the latest versions, resurfaced now !!! seriously, you had to be aware that the Apple OS was going to change a lot of things not? sorry but I'm a little annoyed at not being able to work with the new workflow !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cyril,

Can you please do me a favor and try the workaround I've suggested above? We're actively working on the issue but require user feedback to ensure we're on the right path to get it resolved.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

always the same, 99% blocked

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fingers crossed, but I haven't had it saving freeze on me yet after doing this. Probably have saved 20+ times to an external HD. Will report back again 24-48 hours. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that didn't last. Second save today resulted in 99% save. Latest Spindump:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsigl3r8lqzfys2/Spindump2.txt?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like so many others, it's Russian roulette.  Some saves work, and for me, it'll freeze at 0%.  Once frozen, you can click around in the program, but you can't save — or on any other work being done within Photoshop.  Force Quit and you can't reopen — have to bomb the Mac.  I am trying to be mindful to save all files to my desktop and then overwrite on my removable drive...  So far, so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround while we continue to work on getting this issue resolved is to use an external drive that isn't exFAT formatted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about that yet... but I am here to report that since I have been saving to my desktop ONLY, I have had no crashes within Photoshop 2020.  That's 2 two hours without a crash....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth I was using the latest versions of photoshop and indesign with no problem.  I only just got round to updating to the latest mac OS and now have the issue with both Photoshop and Indesign - with indesign crashing when I export a JPG file and working off a SSD USB drive.  Working on the local drive seems to work for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Photoshop CC 2020 and CC 2019. Sometimes it works, sometimes not (stops saving and when I force quit PS, file is broken) 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I think i have a temporary solution that has been tested for a week and works fine.
The first save of a psd file is done on the local hard disk.
Then i copied the psd to the external hard disk and continued saving the changes on the external hard disk without any problems.

Ifat

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue! I can't save any files in Photoshop 2019 now that I've updated to Catalina! Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I think i have a temporary solution that has been tested for a week and works fine.
The first save of a psd file is done on the local hard disk.
Then i copied the psd to the external hard disk and continued saving the changes on the external hard disk without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a try.  I have simply been saving a new to my desktop, then, moving the file over to my external.  That has been working, too, although a little cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ifat — I just opened a PSD that I had saved to desktop that I also saved to an external.  Did a little work and tried to save it directly and it froze at 99%. For now, I'll keep saving to desktop and transferring over.  That's the only successful system for me for now.  Can't keep crashing my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish there will be a way to rescue the damaged file. Now my project that I have been working on for a long time is ruined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Is there something new?
tnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Is there something new?
tnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is DEFINITELY saving to an external, which almost all of us do.  The only answer thus far is to save to your desktop, then copy the file to your normal external.  So long as you do that, you're work can be saved.  To those that are frozen right now, if you crash your computer, it will attempt to make a recovery file.  It is questionable as to when it will have the latest saved version. You may wish to take a screen shot and then be prepared to replicate the work you've done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues on new MacMini. Re-installed Ps back to v20+ now the same issues are happening and freezing on 99%. I will give storing locally a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adam, I've given a go what you suggested and I'm still having the hanging of savings to and external HDD. Saving to internal HDD I'm having no problems.

Spin dump link https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkk1qttvlcqbs9r/spindump.txt?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate