• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Doesn't save files to external drive formatted for ExFat - macOS 10.15 Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2019 CC 20.0.6 versus MacOS Catalina
When I'm trying to save a project file in PS, it's always stopped the saving method and the file becomes unusable. So I always must to make projects from the start... When will come the fixes? Does anyone know any solution? :'(

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 138 Replies 138
138 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a designer working with a Macbook Pro (2018), running Photoshop CC 2019 20.0.6 and until Catalina i was able to work just fine.

Yesterday i was saving some of my files and got stuck on 47%. I waited for the evening but it didn't move on so i had to reboot the whole thing. Naturally, my working files were corrupted in the process so i had to start all over again. Oddly enough, even though auto recovery was on as it should be, i didn't find any of my files there.

Today i worked the same stuff again and surprisely it bricked the working files in the saving progress AGAIN. Luckily i was smart enough to export the layers as png:s so i didn't have to start all the way from the beginning again. 

Now i'm afraid of opening any of my files without duplicating them first as i'm pretty sure the saving will fail. What is this all about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STEP BY STEP SOLUTION (macOS Catalina V10.15.1)

1. Go to system preference
2. Go to security and privacy
3. Go to privacy tab
4. In the left column go to Full Disk Access
5. Add Adobe Photoshop 2020.app

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for the solution.
Unfortunately it doesn't help.
I confirmed this permission, right after installation.
 thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the solution is to work on internal disk ... 
with external exfat SSD drive over USB there random save bug ... 

Maybe format to other thing than exfat // maybe try to found to full disk access to Extrernal drive or put all permission on this disk . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 21.0.1 release.  After editing a photo on Photoshop 2020 and going to save, to reimport into LR, the frame stays at saving 99%.  It will not get to 100%. What should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Combination. of Photoshop 2020 and Mac Catalina does not allow to save work. Lost plenty of hours already. Problem was not there with PS 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible so save with external SSD over USB (Exfat) 
if copie on SSD internal ou HDD internal no problem ... 
For the moment a copie on ssd internal and i work ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check the most popular responses you'll find my post on a temp solution by simply saving to the desktop.  Clunky, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's that i say ... only solution is to save to internal SSD/HDD or desktop .. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now Indesign too - cant export to a JPG file more that a few times before it crashes.  It was bad before today - then Indesign updated and now its worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mayby it's exfat probleme ... 
anybody can create a smal partition in APFS et try to save ... or work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My catalina OS is in external SSD over and work fine with save photoshop and indesign.  When i use my exfat ssd over USB ( wih all my work ) it's doesn't work ..

The problem is the same Photoshop 2018 + 2019 + 2020 .. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tif files with layers are crashing photoshop and lightroom once the saving progress goes to 92-96%. Saving progress bar stays put until you force quit the application. A computer restart is needed to launch photoshop as well as lightroom. When the file is re-opened in photoshop after the restart, the layered Tif is flattened with the new adjustments. This only happens occasionally (when you need it not to, and it ruins your progress from your original raw). I was able to recreate it using a tif on an external LaCie HD Drive, but I wasnt able to reproduce it from a tif on the internal drive yet to confirm. But I think it happened with a tif on the internal yesterday. This is since upgrading to Mac OS Catalena. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone???

Cheers!

Remi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with Photoshop saves hanging under very specific conditions and I am not sure why.  I think this might be a bug of some sort.  It is very reproducible to the point where it happens every single time.

So my basic workflow is to do basic raw conversion/tonal adjustments in Lightroom then I send the file over to Photoshop as a 16 bit tif (compressed or uncompressed does not matter for this issue it happens either way.). I do all my local edits and adjustments.  Then I will stuff all the layers into a smart object.  At this point I will apply a smart sharpen filter to the smart object so I can adjust the sharpening based on the application the image will serve.  When I save the new file the save always gets stuck around 94 - 98%.  If I let the save sit it never finishes.

I have run various tests on the workflow and this issue always arises even when no extensions are being used or loaded.

Now if I follow the same workflow but leave Lightroom out of the equation and instead use Bridge, ACR, and Photoshop.  In this case send file from bridge to photoshop/acr do the conversion and tonal adjustments.  Then send it to Photoshop do my edits.  Push all the layers into a smart object and apply sharpening.  Then save as a tif.  Save completes in 1 minute or less no issues.  Another test was doing the same edit with Lightroom + Photoshop but skipping pushing all the layers into a smart object and instead making a stamped layer from all layers (leaving layers intact) then sharpening this layer with smart sharpen filter.  No longer as quickly adjustable however the save operates as expected with no issues.

So it seems to me there is a issue somewhere with Lightroom/Photoshop interaction on these smart objects.  Maybe a Catalina only thing?

Anyone have any ideas maybe this is some weird Lightroom bug where things are getting confused during the save causing some sort of panic freeze.

Note I am getting no errors whatsoever and no freeze/photoshop crash it is just that the background save gets hung up with the Lightroom involved example.  if I disable background saving I just watch the pinwheel spin forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is familiar to what I experienced. I just REINSTALLED Catalina. I’ll see if the bugs are with the MacOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop 20.0.7 on catalina macOS, hangs at 60% of the recording of .psd files, someone to a solution? or is it a known problem?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. See up

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to Adobe and their support said "Don't use a USB drive".  Very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unacceptable on so many levels.  I expect way more from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, il faut seulement apprendre à utiliser et configurer correctement Catalina !

Ca se joue dans les paramètres de confidentialité, l'installation des applications Adobe, normalement les configure correctement, mais après avoir demandé l'accord à l'administrateur de la machine !!!

Désolé mon iMac est configuré en français, je vous une copie d'écran, à vous de l'interpréter en anglais !

Good morning, it is only necessary to learn to use and to configurer Catalina correctly!

This is played in the parameters of confidentiality, the installation of applications Adobe, normally configure correctly, but having asked for the agreement the manager of the machine!!!

Having grieved my iMac is configuré in French, me you a copy of screen, to you to interpret it in English!

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MERCI MAIS JE N'AI PAS CELA ... 

CATALINA 10.15.1
je n'ai pas les éléments en dessous des app ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour @yves Crausaz
Je trouve votre commentaire un peu déplacé...
Pour ma part je suis dans le même cas que @Docwhoo et puis pensez-vous que ce soit à nous utilisateurs de la suite Adobe pour laquelle nous déboursons une sommes conséquente, de manipuler toutes ces options dans catalina? Adobe ne devrait il pas faire en sorte que cela soit géré dès l’installation ??? Trouvez-vous cela normale qu’une compagnie comme Adobe propage des logiciels à peine testés et aboutis? Pour ma part je trouve cela Scandaleux !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else recommended the same soloution. However, even when the file privacy settings are configured correctly, the save function to an external device will corrupt the file you're trying to save to. It's a significant flaw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'ai un truc louche mon ssd externe en USB dans partage et permission il est en "accès personnalisé" C'est peur être une piste . Peut être en changeant cela en full acces cela corrige le soucis 

I have a tricky thing my external ssd in USB sharing and permission it is in "custom access" It's afraid to be a track. Maybe by changing this to full access it corrects the worry

Votes

Translate

Translate