• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Doesn't save files to external drive formatted for ExFat - macOS 10.15 Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2019 CC 20.0.6 versus MacOS Catalina
When I'm trying to save a project file in PS, it's always stopped the saving method and the file becomes unusable. So I always must to make projects from the start... When will come the fixes? Does anyone know any solution? :'(

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 138 Replies 138
138 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running PS 2020 on a iMac Pro running CatalinaOS version 10.15.2.

After updating to PS 2020, I found that I was unable to save a file from PS to my Samsung 4TB SSD. When I would save, it would start to save the file and then reach a random percent in the process and just stop. When this would happen, PS would become unresponsive. I would then need to force quit the program. Even after force quitting, PS would remain unresponsive. I would be unable to restart the program until I restarted my entire system. This has been very frustrating.

While reading the Adobe Support Community pages, I found out about issues that might occur if the write speed of PS and the external HD are different and discovered a possible work around. 

My SSD was connected via USBc to USBc cable. The SSD with this cable would have a very high write speed. My thought is that the write speed is too fast for PS to keep up, causing it to freeze. I swapped out the cable for a USBc to USBb and after doing so was able to save to my SSD. 

With PS 2019, I was able to make this save via the USB c to c cable. However, with PS 2020 I am not. What changed? 

If you need more information, please let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert your SSD into Apfs résolve problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue resolved but since the last Photoshop update for Mac it has returned?! Latest OS and Photoshop version. Also, I am using an external Ex-FAT disk. It stops saving at around 90% and I have to force quite Photoshop and re-start my Mac. Help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot use ExFAT format. Use an Apple formatted drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Ex-FAT because I work on both a Mac and a PC. Never ever have I had any issue with a using an Ex-FAT drive between different programs. It is a bug and it needs to be fixed. In the days of Creative Cloud and team projects this is not the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should have nothing to do with how the external drive is formatted, it used to work before just fine. For that matter, if you go from Lightroom, edit in photoshop, save, automatically back into Lightroom, it works just fine (but I hold my breath and pray every time!)

If you go right from Photoshop and save on to an external drive, it crashes. To the point where I have to actually reset my computer to get PSD to work again. I have posted a sample of the resulting damaged file. (Note, I had to save to a very low jpg to have it upload, the actual damaged file is a psd, flattened, and still is 303Mb, so obviously the data is there.

I can't believe this has been going on for over 3 months now and no fix from Adobe. I thought the last update would address that, but no, the very first file I tried saving crashed at 35%.

Both Adobe and Apple have huge resources and dozens of presumably the top software engineers in the world, this should not be ongoing for this long. Adobe keeps developing a ton of new software that most users don't need or want, maybe they should be paying more attention to the problems that the majority of us ARE affected by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thank you! Should have been fixed a long time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were told that subscription (read extortion) plan was great because you would get all these great updates and bug fixes immediately. HAH! That's a bunch of ____.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still occurring what a massive hassle. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed for months!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,I installed yesterday the new update 21.2 on my MacBook
I have been working on my files.
But when I saved them, a error message "error from the app" appeared.Impossible to save my work !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noted that before my post, but until the last Ps update (21.2) I did my savings without any trouble to my external hard diskThen I have to go to alternative solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exfat is the only easy way to save both with win and mac without paying any extra useless sw only needed to enable an OS to access a filesystem.

The problem with PS is that it saves the file the first time but cannot overwrite it.

You can still save as with another name on the same HD folder.

What's up ?

Votes

Translate

Translate