• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Doesn't save files to external drive formatted for ExFat - macOS 10.15 Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2019 CC 20.0.6 versus MacOS Catalina
When I'm trying to save a project file in PS, it's always stopped the saving method and the file becomes unusable. So I always must to make projects from the start... When will come the fixes? Does anyone know any solution? :'(

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 138 Replies 138
138 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact error you are seeing? Are you saving the file with the wrong extension? See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#Filenamingoptionsdontworkcorr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks your comment but the problem is not the extension. The problem is the saving method. When I start saving the file, PS crashes. And after that I have to reinstall the app but the file is crashed and I can’t use it anymore. By the way the Catalina crashes too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like something more serious. If Catalina is crashing, that sounds like either a damaged OS install or a failing hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the PS is the main problem probably 😞 Because the Catalina is ok while I'm not using Adobe. Thank you Jeffrey, if you hear some information about that problem I'd be grateful if you couldI write a message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. When saving a PSD file it just stops at a random percentage of progress and the file becomes unusable.

I hope Adobe will fix this. I already lost a lot of time and effort because of this problem. Wish I didn't upgrade to Catalina and CC 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very similar problem here. My tif files don't complete the saving progress, crash lightroom and photoshop, and needs a reboot to use the two programs again. File is useable once I restart but loses all layer info and flattens with adjustment layers applied. It's occasional in my case. Russian roulette-ish.

Photoshop/Lightroom: Tif files with layers not completing the saving progress, crashing on macOS 10....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here with Photoshop -- probably 30% of the time I go to save a file, it will stall at a random percentage. No error from macOS or Adobe or crash dialog/reporting option. Only solution so far has been to force quit the app, after which I can't reopen the program until I reboot my Macbook. It kills my reboot function -- have to press the power button for a hard off/on, and then the file in question is now corrupted. Completely destroying my productivity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes me too.  It is only photoshop, not the other creative cloud products I use or any other software.  And same issue that I have to force quit photoshop and then restart my computer in order to open it again.  And the file is lost.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same problem. BUT - only when working on external drive.
When I copy the images to the internal SSD it works.
Annoying, but for me the only solution until an update.
Hope that helps you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I am also using an external SSD.  I will try saving to my internal SSD for now and hope they are working on a fix.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for mentioning this, I also suspected it was the external drive saving that was the issue. I was unable to recreate it saving to my internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can save files but PS won't add file extentions anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Catalina, and discovered PS won't add file extensions.
Did you get a resolution for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

best is to add the file extension manually until there's an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so there is an issue with this?  I thought I was going insane'

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, there are some bad issues with the new osx and adobe products...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, adobe this is critical!!! whats the point of starting work on files and then you can't save them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to Photoshop 20.0.7. The file extension is now hidden by default but will automatically match the format selected in the Format pop-up.

Additional details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#FixedIssues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it only happen when saving to external drives? If so, do you know you have permissions to save to that drive?

Is it always freeze/hang? Or do you get an error? If it hangs, a process sample may be useful to our engineers to see what process is hanging and why. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7959486

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/updated today's version/ first it looked like it's started to work, but now same problem, had no issues to export same files to ext.ssd, but saving freezed again, and have other files open but cannot save and don't want to quit ps too right now. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiiznydk10dv8ua/SampleofPhotoshopCC.txt?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

restarted ps, first file got saved, 2nd freezed at the moment when 3rd's file saving pop-up appeared

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having the same problem saving in Photoshop even after today’s update. Went back to PS v20.0 and it worked for awhile before pausing again on a save. No error message given.

Also had Catalina stuck copying files to a Ext drive today too. Not sure if it’s related.

Worse part, when this happens, unable to restart/shut down computer without the OS also getting stuck with empty desktop. Have to hard reset every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that was my problem and I wrote that to Adobe and they couldn’t help me. Their answer was: Macos downgrade... Thank you adobe... very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no fix -.-, anybody has any recommendations for new editing software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely is unique only to saving to external drives as far as I can tell. For now I've just made a temp folder on my desktop that I save to, and just transfer the files as needed afterwards. A pain in the ass, but really only takes up an extra 30 seconds or so each time I need to do it. Hopefully fixed soon though!

Votes

Translate

Translate