• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Layer Effects on Groups Clipping Error

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new Photoshop CC 2020 version, there's a bug with layer effects in groups. They seem to clip other layer effects within the group in a rectangular shape.

To reproduce:

- Create a new document
- Create a circular shape as a new layer
- Apply a stroke layer effect to the shape layer
- Put that shape layer in a group
- Apply a drop shadow layer effect to the group (play around with the distance value to make the effect more obvious)

Result: the layer effects are cropped in a rectangular shape

I tested it in Photoshop CC 2019, it works fine there.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019
This issue should be fixed in the 21.0.2 update that was released yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate
40 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, on macOS 10.14.6, this seems to work, but on the contrary a strange thing if they like to encircle in outside of form, alone sides left and superiors are drawn, so centered, not ok?

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this out. Basically all layer styles on the group apply incorrectly if the shape has a stroke enabled. And if it's a rasterized shape, then it gets cut by the bottom right corner like in your example.

Here's what I got with a vector shape and a really thick border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look here same bug
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bug-report-photoshop-2020-version-21-0-0-crop...

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm encountering a clipping issue when I try to apply a stroke to a Group layer that has a nested layer with a stroke.  I'm pretty sure this is a bonafide bug with version 21.0.0.

Here are the repro steps:
  1. Create a layer with an image on it (the image should have some transparency around it
  2. Add a nice thick stroke (Outside)
  3. Create a group layer and put your image layer inside
  4. Add a nice thick stroke (Outside) to the group layer
  5. Notice the clipping that appears on the right side and the bottom
If you then rasterize the Layer effect on the layer image, the stroke applied to the group layer renders correctly:

However you shouldn't have to do this -- I know for certain that this was working in earlier versions of Photoshop because I use this feature regularly.

Hoping your team can reproduce this and patch it soon!

Thanks,
Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Workaround: Open Preferences > Performance... check "Legacy Compositing" and then close & reopen files; or restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I encountered similar issue with effects applied to a group (inner shadow showing unwanted orthogonal lines...).

I did apply Jeffrey's tip by checking "Legacy Compositing" and now everything works as before.

But I suggest Adobe Photoshop's team fix the issue 😉

Thanks!

Clément

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Contour (with contour positioned outside) on a shape layer- then i group my shape layer - and then i add a adjustment-fill layer (color) and use it as clipping mask for my group, the contour inside my group gets cropped on the bottom and the right. The same settings worked well in previous photoshop versions
(the same file has no contour bug if opend f.e. in Photoshop 2019)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I was grouping some smartphones for an AppStore entry when I noticed the semitransparent square in the upper left corner which was caused by the shadow layer effect I placed on the group.

The was nothing painted in that area and even masking the whole group did not remove it. I could avoid it by removing the shadow from the group and apply the shadow to an element inside the grouped elements.

I never noticed this in Adobe Photoshop pre 2020. I tried to illustrate my experience with the picture below.

Cheers,
Dietrich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS 10.15.1 PS 20.0.1 corrected error, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to PS 20.0.1, but it's still not working. Stroke on a text layer is still clipping. However, going to Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For text, it is for instance, impossible to define the position of shade with the mouse!

It is necessary to close again the filter and to open it again and at this instant, the displacement in the mouse is once again possible???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same happening with 21.0.1. Just a drop shadow and inner shadow layer effect on a layer group. Ungrouped and applied layer effects to individual layers, box goes away.

Changed the Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing and restarted and that works as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 clips nested Layer Styles to the right and bottom of the element (see attached). Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS 2020 there's an extremely annoying bug (the latest update as of 11.28. still has it):

If a group has any clipping masks attached (even an empty layer) it will crop the layer styles of the group's layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stroke FX of any object is cropped when you add Color Overlay FX ob a parent group

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create new document 72px/inch sRGB any dimensions
  2. Create a rectangle vector shape layer
  3. add Stroke FX
  4. Set Stroke params to  width=10px, color=white, position=outside
  5. Wrap this layer into a group
  6. Add Color Overlay FX on a group
  7. Set fx params to color=red, blending mode=multiply
Expected result:
The whole shape has to be multiplied by colour.

Actual result:
Shape including a stroke is multiplied by colour but the bottom and right pixels are cropped.

PSD demo: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/tmsfyfxqcescdl4/StrokePlusColorOverlay.psd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technicly I think the layer is cropped to it's actual content to improve performance or better: to hide the lack of programming skills. And as this buggy mess is now set by default, it's messing everything up. I hope at some day you finally recognize that there are mostly professional users out there who rely on your tools every day and for them it's pure hate when basic functions, which have been there for years, are going to be changed without any sense, like this layer bug or the transformation tool which doesnt scale proportionally while holing Shift etc. Sure I can change that in the settings but why should I? It was working fine for ages!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoying bug I've been running to and I just figured out how to repeat it. In Photoshop, folders are not considering a containing layer's stroke effect as part of the bottom or right of an layer.

So, for instance, if I have text with a stroke on it and place it into a folder in order to enact a layer effect drop shadow on the text (including the stroke) Photoshop will crop the stroke out of the folder on both the bottom and right sides to the original text.

Rotating the image, always the bottom and right of the stroke are cropped.

Should be an easy to repeat and fix bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.  I was hoping the latest update had this fixed but still not yet.  

The workaround works, but is annoying, I feel that frustration from the above comment.  New feature request:  Can you please introduce a master "Legacy Everything" checkbox in Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the 21.0.2 update that was released yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed 21.0.2 and I'm having the same issue. 

To reproduce:
1) start a new document.
2) create a small ellipse in the center of the document.
3) create a group and move the ellipse layer to the group.
4) move the layer mask of the ellipse shape to the group (Cmd + Shift, then click drag the layer preview image onto the group)

Result:
The ellipse is now masking the group which contains a fill layer, however instead of the fill layer going to the edges of the canvas, it stops at the edges of the ellipse.

Side note: Why does having the path operator set to Combine Shapes "punch out" the group? I would expect Subtract Front Shape to do that, but I get the opposite expected result. Also I noticed when playing around with the Fill layer left over from the ellipse that it sometimes won't even show up when moved around the layer stack.

Switching to Legacy Compositing is still a workaround. But the path operators are still behaving in the opposite manner of what one would expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Separate issue

Please reference the new conversation here: Photoshop: Compositing issue with groups and vector masks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 21.0.2, and I'm experiencing the same issue as David Kozma above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a PSD that exhibits the behavior in 21.0.2? (Link to CC files or Dropbox)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JEA, Yes. I'm the OP on that. Thanks to c_pfaffenbichler for the solution (turning on legacy compositing). I can confirm, the bug is definitely in 21.0.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate