• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, we can't do that - because we will be required to use the OS dialogs in all cases (and they have multiple reasons for that).
Even doing browsers like Bridge are, um, an interesting challenge, in their new world of app restrictions.

We cannot make previews return to the OS dialogs.
Only changes in the rules from the OS vendors could make that happen.

Nobody said anything about a list view - we're only talking about the preview that used to be below the list views (which are provided by the OS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for answering by not answering 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish someone (anyone) would give me the email and snail mail address for the person(s) at Microsoft and Apple that are causing this to be an issue. If in fact it's the OS's issue, then I'd like to visit with them about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you there Clayton. None of our complaints will reach the ears of anyone important as long as we're posting them here. Chris is serving as a firewall and I don't know about anyone else but that is frustrating the #@$! out of me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2012 Oct 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I would not call Mr.Cox unimportant, but in this case he has argued (again and again ...) that the issue is out of Adobe’s hands, so it seems great that somebody accepts that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure both Adobe AND Chris think Chris's firewall job is important, which is why I said nothing will be done about it here. You knew what I meant, otherwise you wouldn't be petitioning for email and snail mail addresses of those who are REALLY involved, you know, the important ones...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I'm sure both Adobe AND Chris think Chris's firewall job is important«
Have you ever checked out Photoshop’s splash screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look I'm on your side on this Christoph. I too would like some contact information or somewhere we can go to find out as you say who at "Microsoft and Apple that are causing this to be an issue." You (rightly so) are asking for contact information of people higher up on the food chain than Chris. That's the point I was making.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, there is some confusion – I did not ask for that information, that was Clayton King.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What extra codec pack or what ever did you install for that to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - I have installed windows 7 64 bit
2 - I installed master collection cs 6
3 - I launched photoshop cs6 64 bit -> and does not give me a preview psd
4 - I closed photoshop 64bit, I opened photoshop 32bit -> I see the previews
5 - I closed photoshop 32bit, re-open photoshop 64bit-> I see the previews

problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No bueno on my end. Tried it. No previews on either 32bit or 64bit for me. Must be something very specific that's allowing that to happen on your system. Is there something you missed there that might be involved in the process, like a certain compatibility mode setting or tweak to your windows system? And did it work long term for you, or only for that work duration....as in, once you rebooted, did the previews still show up, or did you have to go through that same process again to get the previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be a really great idea to bring back the thumbnail preview of psd files in Photoshop. It's bad enough that Windows doesn't support psd thumbnails natively, but the software that generates them should support them at the very least.

I rarely use Bridge, it's a resource hog and just an extra program I don't need added to my workflow. Most of the time, I have Photoshop open and just want to open, surprise, another Photoshop file. Thumbnails were there in past versions of Photoshop, so I know it's not impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there still no update for this HUGE problem?

The first thing after an upgrade - a great disappointment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the existing posts. This is not a bug, just something forced on us by OS restrictions (even though Photoshop made the change earlier than required).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I accept the issue is due to the new restrictions placed on Adobe by the OS vendors. It is apparent, however, that the current alternatives (filesystem-level codecs & Bridge ) aren't acceptable in many cases due to performance impact. My question is: are you guys looking at an alternative whether it be reducing the footprint of Bridge or providing some other low impact file browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We understand that you want alternatives, and we'll see what we can figure out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody been able to get a refund on their CS6 package?

The lack of thumbnail previews in the Open Dialogue is a deal-breaker for me.

I'm flabbergasted that the world's leading graphics software company is making excuses for something as fundamental and basic as this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2012 Oct 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andi dervishi :

Re: PSD THUMBNAIL ISSUE

Cool as ice! thanks for the enlightenment, THIS CASE IS CLOSE! PROBLEM SOLVED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I've worked around this will probably be useful to some people.

Download & install a program called XNView Shell Extension from http://www.xnview.com/en/downloadwin3... - it's a free context menu thumbnail program.

Now go to open a file in Photoshop, right click on the file you're thinking of, and a thumbnail will come up in the context menu. You can even click the thumbnail to see a large preview before opening it.

Problem solved! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May we all remind Adobe that it is 2012, not 1995. How challenging is it really, to implement a simple image preview from within the program? It's bad enough we can't see Adobe related thumbnails from within Windows, and now you take away what has to be one of the most rudimentary, basic features (if you can even call this a feature). Mini Bridge is a cumbersome piece of doo-doo that doesn't even have a direct file path built in, which means it's utterly useless at work. This because mini bridge doesn't recognize the server we work on, nor does it recognize simple desktop shortcuts that would take me where I need to go. A manual, direct file path would solve this. I refuse to use standard bridge. It is slow, chunky, and cumbersome, nor does it actually improve workflow speed. You spend most of your time aimlessly navigating through folders and file paths, constantly saving out PSDs to some location that is halfway across Egypt from where bridge loaded it.

It seems to me that this is Adobe's way of forcing users to work with mini bridge or purchase Bridge on top of Photoshop. Fix this or I'm going back to CS5. It's embarrassing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried this; doesn't seem to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience with mini bridge (suggested here) is not significantly better than full bridge. In fact, when launching mini bridge, I get the popup that bridge must be running. So it appears that regardless of the intention to offer a smaller footprint in mini, bridge is required.

I won't speak for everyone, but I run in a fairly robust machine - i7 processor and 8GB of ram and 7200rpm hard drive. Bridge is sluggish, requires more clicking than a playing card in the bicycle wheel, and eats up more memory than I want to give. I continue to try various thumbnail codecs and add ons, which only further convolute my system. One would think Adobe could talk to the OS providers if, in fact, that is where the issue began, to express this issue with its users. I understand that other application in the CS6 suite will be updated with this same open dialog change, it is odd to me that it has, as yet, not happened.

I sent a message to the folks at NAPP on the issue, the response was that I had "obviously not explore the robust asset management of Bridge." I knew I was in trouble at that point...

I'm not bashing here - just honestly frustrated that with the size and scope of Adobe Systems, there seem to be a lack of advocacy for its users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2012 Nov 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read all the comments on this "lack of preview" issue because there are so many! I've only just started using CS6 and the very first thing I noticed was the lack of a preview image. CS6 has been out for a while now and I just can't believe that Adobe can be so arrogant as to dismiss this as "not a problem". I don't like Bridge and didn't use it much in CS5 because of the wonderful image preview which suits the way I work! Having just paid for CS6 I'll see how the rest of the software goes. I may finish up doing what a lot of others have done and go back to CS5. This is a very expensive fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate