• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The part about Apple crashing is interesting, there are a lot of MAC users in the photo groups I belong to on flickr, and I have only seen one maybe two posts about Apple users having problems, since the release of CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please stay on topic. If you have a new issue, create a new topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sort of thought that would be coming, guess we just have to play to see what else has been taken away. Not to wont bother you any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, trust me. If an Adobe exec is made aware of such user complaints, they will surely demand an explanation from the dev teams, and/or put pressure on the 'vendors'. Surely you aren't here to block folks from letting your bosses know who really messed up? Any software company and exec worth their salt 'wants' feedback, not blocks it, that's how progress is made.

I just hope at this point you haven't buried yourself so deep you can't get out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dev team has already given you the explanation.
We've already made our management aware of the limitations being imposed by the OS vendors (and it's a really long list). But I suspect they want to pick and choose their battles (really, it's a LOT of nasty limitations).

We are not blocking feedback - we're getting plenty of feedback here.

But Apple and Microsoft set the rules - we have to play by them, or ask nicely to have them changed. If you don't like their rules, you too can ask them to change, or at least improve their game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boooo Adobe. Not having the preview causes me tons of lost time.

Click that checkbox that says "user can see psd preview"... how hard can it be?

Incompetent lazy developers is what you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All previous Photoshop versions would let you preview PSD files before opening. Photoshop CS6 doesn't do that anymore which is a real downgrade. Why do that Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know the alternate way to fix, try this.
but u must install the photoshop cs6 first.
here u go:

1. Download psicon.dll
2. Place the psicon.dll in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell\
(make Shell folder if u can't find it)
3. Download psddllregistry (google it), place on the desktop and then open it.
click yes to add to the registry
4. Restart the computer
5. Done
Hope this help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aster
this sounds pretty good!
what does Chris at Adobe make of this...ie is this a robust work-around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aster this did NOT work for me. I'm on Windows 7 64bit. I had high hopes though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview at the "open" dialog is not working since all the PSD-files just show a PSD-logo. I've read some tips & trix on how to fix the problem but none av them is really working since lots, if not all, recommend downloading a third party program. Why cant photoshop show a preview of its own file format? This is really confusing to me. Why should you even need a fix?

This must be a bug or a serious mistake in the system design process

I know a lot of people want a fix for this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you find the psicon.dll? Not so found on downloading dll-files from just a site on the net. :)
And what system do you use? As OmegaPhase below I also use Windows 7, 64bit. Did you get it to work with that or do you have some other OS?
/Beef

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Chris and others, this is a fix to a security issue that the OS providers (Mac and Windows) are requiring. While I think this is BS, and can't for my life see how a preview on a local system poses a security threat, that's the story.

I also contacted NAPP on the matter and, when describing what a hindrance this was, basically got a ration about how I obviously had not explored Bridge and what a wonderful product it was.

I can't speak for everyone, but Bridge, for me, is lousy. It's a memory hog. It's slow and must build thumbnails, causes hard drive churn and is cumbersome to navigate through folder structures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my OS= windows7 32 bit... the preview works for me sample_inline-30ce45ec-bf01-41a9-b3d0-0bf341f07951-1085114852.jpg

well though the preview is just thumbnail, not like the older version
but hope this help

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well proper naming is great, but doesn't everyone in the world by now know the quote "A picture says more than a thousand words" by heart? That kind of kills any naming argument.

Ps. How many words can you have in the filename? And will it still be readable after 1001 words? 😛 Ds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered using metadata to store those 1001 words instead of the filename?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can go back to the torrent version. :-P

Next upgrade I will start looking at GIMP. Adobe seem way to uninterested in UX and their paying customers, at least that is the feeling I get from reading about various problem and basically no reaction from Adobe...

I mean, how hard can it be? Fix these "small" problems and we will be around for yet another version of the program. Ignore and we'll look at alternatives. Simple math problem. Paying customer = 1, lost customer = 0. Which pays the most?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess you missed the whole point there.... How long does it take you to read over a thousand words and how long does it take you to look at a picture and see that it is the right or wrong one? And how long does it take you to write all those words?
Plus in a folder with 500 pictures, how long does it take you to go through all that meta data? And how long does it take you to just browse through the same pictures but with a preview?
(also Scrappa-68 were arguing about filenames, not meta data)

Do you get it now?

The Preview in PS is priceless and we want it back, it saves a heck of a lot of time. This took me 2 minutes to write and how many words are this?

Think about that for a second or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox, did their "rules" say "Adobe can absolutely NOT make a preview in their software. Under NO circumstance must this be addressed and fixed for their customer, or we will sue their pants off!!"?
If not, then what is the problem? You _are_ losing customers, get out of the sandbox, fix the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What works fine for your 500 images folder might become difficult with a couple thousand images, so metadata and naming conventions might prove useful yet.

»also Scrappa-68 were arguing about filenames, not meta data«
I did not read back to find out what you were referring to specifically.

Anyway, why do you disregard Bridge as a viable tool for previewing etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say it would not be useful, there is a lot of things what would be useful, but that is beside the point. We are talking about a function that I and others miss, why should you need to use other programs, codecs etc for a simple function? It works just great in my personal version of PS (CS5, yeah I bought it for my self as well) but at work (in CS6) it doesn't.

Do you know how annoying it is that the version you get at work, who's supposed to better, faster, cooler, smarter etc (since its CS6 and not 5) does NOT even have the same functions that your previous version has? And when you point that out you get "Well, use another program instead, and codecs, and blablabla", "and yeah while you're at it, rename all your 7239 files since we removed this awesome feature and yes, we'll just blame microsoft for it!"

Serious, what crap is that?

Its like:
Yeah we have a car here, and if you buy the delux 2012 version (which is never than your 2011 version) that versions windshield wiper are removed since you can clean your windshield at the gas station instead and, yeah we have to do it that way because the tire company has decided that they won't supply any tires if we supply the car with wipers.

YEAH, I TOTALLY BUY THAT! SUUUURE! AND YEAH NICE "WORK AROUND" THERE.

That is just plain BS, maybe PS can't use the build in none working file preview but common, this is freaking ADOBE its not like they don't know how to build the most awesome programs. I'd bet they even invented the preview in the first place!

Total BS and disrespect to their customers

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, we have to play by their rules, in their sandbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but the question suddenly popped in to my head.

I understand that Adobe advocates the use of Bridge (or mini-Bridge) in managing assets. But, since these programs can display a thumbnail of a PSD file (and many more) how is the same functionality not possible inside of Photoshop? In other words, how does the OS dictate the functionality in one Adobe application and not the other?

I'm not trying to bait you here - I just honestly don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible in Photoshop - in the minibridge panel.
But we are limited in what we can do in the OS provided open and save dialogs.

Bridge doesn't use the OS open or save dialog for previewing documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall several versions back that you guys had a checkbox in the open dialog box that allowed you to either use the OS dialog box or the Adobe dialog box. Can you not bring back an option like that? Or at the very least, in the File menu, there needs to be the standard OS dialog box "Open" selection, and then an "Open with Adobe" selection (or you could call it "Quick find" or something like that). Since the Adobe Open selection wouldn't be an OS dialog box, then you wouldn't be restricted to the OS limitations. Then again, mini-Bridge could very well function like what I'm talking about, but we would need the following to make that efficient:
1) Under the options for Bridge (or the "View" dropdown selection box), provide a way to change it to list view.
2) Also have an option under Bridge (preferably a check box on the Bridge toolbar so you can quickly check and uncheck it) to disable thumbnails and show program icons instead. It's not that I don't like thumbnails for certain things, but they can really slow down the load times.
3) Add an image preview option for when you're in list view. I provided a way to do this in an earlier post that walked you through an easy way to set that up.
4) Speed up Bridge. Even if you did the three things above, Bridge would still need to function a little closer to the speed of the standard Open dialog box, which currently takes like half a second to open....versus Bridge, which can take 5-10 seconds to open. Not to mention, it would suck not having access to the Windows Favorites panel on the standard dialog box. Oh...but then again, the standalone version of Bridge has the option to add in your own favorite folders, so maybe that could be implemented in to Mini-Bridge as well. It just needs to function a bit closer to the Open dialog box. Bridge is not a dead product, it just needs a lot of work.

The main thing is Chris, let's FIND a way to make this happen. Cause all I've heard is a defeatist attitude coming from Adobe (you) that it just flat out isn't possible to have an efficient list view anymore. I'm trying to offer alternatives and ways to get around it that are BY FAR possible for Adobe to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate