Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Option key not working in/with Gradient Tool

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Ventura 13.01

While using Gradient Tool the OPTION key doesn't sample colors like the eye dropper anymore.

Using the previous version of PSD on the same computer works fine

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 24.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 24.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
102 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of this bug is in 24.0.1 or is it only in 24.1? I have slow internet in my office and wanted to know if it was worth trying to download 24.0.1 now. 

Rather than going that route, why not just define Foreground and Background colors here, which are used for the Gradient (at least until the bug is fixed):

GradColor.png

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix as at today is to downgrade photoshop to 24.0 and it will work again. This is a known bug and will be fixed hopefully pretty soon by adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As at today, the work around is to downgrade to photoshop version 24.0. It will work again. This is a known bug which should be fixed by adobe hopefully in their next updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As at today, the work around is to downgrade to photoshop version 24.0. It will work again. This is a known bug which should be fixed by adobe hopefully in their next updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was doing this yesterday as a work around, but it is just so much slower than the option hotkey, plus my muscle memory keeps hitting option and then I have to do you you suggested anyway. Hard to retrain my left hand, it's too stubborn 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is aware of this, but if using the shortcut "I" does not work for you, downgrade from 24.1 to 24.0.1

Go to the Creative Cloud Desktop App, Choose Photoshop. In the three dot menu next to Open, choose "other versions"

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 2.00.21 PM.png

Then 24.0.1  If it asks you if you want to keep your settings, answer Yes.

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 1.55.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the work around suggestion of downgrading to 24.0! I reallllllllllly appreciate it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing: Be sure Automatic updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop is turned off, otherwise it might reinstall 24.1.

Also keep an eye on the forums. If this is fixed, then you can upgrade to that version  e.g. 24.1.1 or 24.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In older Version you could simply hold Alt/Option to switch to the Eyedropper Tool and back while using the Gradient Tool. It does not work for me right now – did something change? I need it for my workflow – as I press it rather quickly, I would prefer not to use the "I" shortcut (because I have to switch back to the Gradient Tool by pressing "G" each time).

The spring-loaded eye dropper shortcut works fine with other tools, like the brush.

Photoshop 24.1.0

macOS Monterey 12.6.2

I am on a MacbookPro M1.

Thanks!

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I realized that the eyedropper tool is not working when I am using the gradient tool in Photoshop 2023. In prior versions, when pressing the option key while using the gradient tool the eyedropper tool would appear. Now this does not work anymore. This only happens when combining gradient tool + option key. With all other tools (brush, pencil, bucket etc plus option key… ) it works fine. It is still working in PS 2022 though. So - I guess this is a bug? Are there any solutions for this? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I could not find the thread. Good to know they are working on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

19 votes does not seem terribly high for how long the thread already seems to be … did everybody here who is affected by the issue vote? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess not many people uses this feature regularly. If it was an issue with copy / paste, or cropping, the thread would be much, much higher...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, I am pretty flabbergasted that after more than 1 month, adobe has not yet addressed this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was reported Dec 12th, acknowledged by an Adobe Employee on Dec 14th.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-option-key-not-working-in-with-gradient-to...

Updates are usually rolled out once a month and would include other fixes and security updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, I am pretty flabbergasted that after more than 1 month, adobe has not yet addressed this issue. 

I am not an Adobe employee so I am not privy to the release calendar but to me one month would seem a fairly short time even for a dot-release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have addressed the issue.

You don't yet have the fixed version and keep in mind that Adobe like many companies was closed down for the recent holidays. Just be patient. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Gradient tool selected and holding the Option / Alt key, you would expect the eyedropper to come up, same as when you have the Brush tool selected. Well, not here. I'm on the latest version (24.1.0). It works on the Brush tool, not on the Gradient tool. What setting did I screw up or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Regards Frank

{Moved to correct board by Moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frank,

Thanks for reaching out. 

What type of file are you working with? Does the layer have any masks? Since when are you seeing this issue? Have you tried any troubleshooting so far? 

Please check this discussion on a similar issue in the Adobe forum: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/eyedropper-not-picking-up-color/td-p/...

Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ranjisha,

It's a regular layer. With the Brush tool selected, the Option key gives me the eyedropper. With the Gradient tool selected, it doesn't. I tried restoring the toolbar to its defaults, but that didn't work. I also tried "Reset Preferences on Quit" from the Preferences > General menu, but also that didn't work.

I think the issue came up after updating to the latest version, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Regards Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug now and Adobe are aware of it. The only solution at the moment appears to be reverting back to 24.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App version; Photoshop 24.1

Hi, 

For a few days, I cannot access the eyedropper while using my gradient tool in photoshop. The option for "Alt-Click"  while using the brush tool and the bucket works fine, which makes it very odd.

The gradient tool remains in the same icon and does not change to the eyedropper when pressing alt. I have not been able to find a solution for this. 

Please help, its really frustating my daily work flow in editing.

Best.

Votes

Translate

Translate