• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.0: Where is Line Weight/Width and Pixels options?

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble using the Line Tool in PS 22.0.0. 

How do I set the width/weight of the line? In PS 21 there was a "Weight" option along the top bar, but I don't see that anymore. Am I missing it? Or did it move? 

This might be a separate issue, but the lines I'm drawing are not showing up. I have a fill color and stroke color selected, but when I make a line, I don't see it. I just see a blue outline of where it is... the same that might happen if I made a "path" instead of a "shape." 

I just need to make a line with a width/weight of 20px.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

The 22.3 update posted on March 10 contains the pixel mode for the line tool; I will personally go to the mat defending this tool and it's functionality if anybody at Adobe attempts to change this feature again. I'm a believer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Greetings,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 676 Replies 676
676 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom Winkelmann I can see the properties panel, but how do you use it to draw a line? It just gives me a weird line with an arrow at both ends. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping this would be fixed in 22.1 update.

No joy.

Adobe you've dropped some real clangers in recent times but this one is right up there.

Is there an open beta people can join to give feedback so features like this aren't stillborn?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the comments from Adobe scattered about in this lengthy thread;  you will find out a lot that may be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled Photoshop 2020. I'll just use that version until Adobe restores the legacy line tool. Hopefully, they will figure out how to do so while also maintaining the new line tool, which I'm sure has its uses. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Path Options you showed above governs the width of the line that represents the stroke of the path, but not the 'width' of the pixels of the line; to set the stroke (and effectively width), use the Stroke controls:

stroke-cbdac54a-3634-4133-b700-3ebb63a6f845-631890133.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cyrille Poussin , the thickness of a line is controlled by the stroke control:

stroke-883787ff-d53e-49ce-95d0-537c906ff275-631890133.jpg
Though as many have pointed out, there were additional capabilities, especially around drawing in pixel mode, that we are working on delivering, and soon. The changes were not complete enough to include in the December 2020 release, but we are working on restoring these key aspects of the former line tool and getting that out to you as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom Winkelmann , I am sorry we weren't able to wrap up the line tool restoration in time for the December release, but we will be delivering adjustments soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deono , the December release was closed to code updates at a time where our tool conversation was still active. We are working on restoring the missing aspects of the former line tool as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a slap in the face to the massive group of people who primarily use Photoshop for pixel-based art in the worlds of illustration and concept art to hamstring our workflows like this. There is already illustrator for in-depth vector workflows, and I'm sure it's lovely to have the option in PS, but taking away tools and workflows that people have used for years is tone deaf to say the least.

This is the first instance that's left me exploring alternatives to Photoshop for the business where I work as art director. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm I sincerely hope that includes 'being able to create a path/ vector mask with it'…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DGrainger 

Unfortunately not. I just want to be able to draw a line in pixels without any other steps like I've done since PS 2.0 on disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm  Thank you and please, please, please bring this back as soon as possible. As an architect and concept artist I use the pixel setting daily. This has destroyed my workflow. Especially for snapping to angles. Being forced to use shapes and a new layer for each line makes the line tool completely useless for my purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mark. Will restoring the pixel option be included in the restoration? As many have stated in this forum this simple feature was/is critical to our workflow. So much so, that if it doesn't come back many of us (including concept artists, comic artists, and architects) will be looking for an alternative to Photoshop. Also, a nice addition would be the ability to snap to 5 or 10 degree increments instead of just 45. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is my pixel line tool?  It's there, but greyed out.

I'm a professional concept artist and designer and have been using photoshop for decades. I absolutely need the photoshop pixel line. It's useful for a million things, like drawing perspective lines, adding a harder edge to a vehicle, drawing buildings... If you had consulted with actual artists about your new line tool, you would realize that the barebones, basicness of the tool is what makes it so useful.  ALL OF MY COWORKERS ABSOLUTELY HATE THE CHANGE.  PLEASE, PLEASE bring it back!!!   now i need to revert to an older version of PS in order to be as productive as I need to be.  You did a bad thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when in the hell will the line tool work as before?  i used to drag and make simple arrows on drone shots to indicate points of interest.  now i cannot do this.  it is driving me insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michael_r 

As time goes by I get the sense that Adobe is NOT going to restore this. Like most things in life if you wait long enough the disgruntled public (customers) will burn out and eventually just accept their fate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They need to. The new one is useless. Every time you pick it up you need to change the stroke alignment to actually see anything.

It's a superb example of making things more complex than it needs to be. It's actually easier to have a set of pre-made lines with arrows in a file that can be translated into the right position.

What is really concerning is the lack of apparent awareness of the problem it's created.

The fix is very simple, go back to exactly what was there before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring back the pixel option for the line tool. It completely ruins the workflow for almost everyone in the entertainment design industry including concept artists for video games and movies. There is absolutely no good reason to get rid of it. using the rectangle tool is NOT  the same thing because you dont get the same pixel width without manually adjusting it every time. BRING IT BACK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark. Now we have something to look forward to for next year... just please don't say the save & revert commands are the next to go legacy! (Autosave only would be a terrible idea too.)  

Have a happy Holiday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark_dahm  Still waiting for the pixel line tool to be back 😕 Is it normal to pay for and use an OLD version of photoshop to make it ? Is is this complicated to bring it back ? Please, do something

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my 30 years plus years of Photoshopping their decision to remove the line tool functionality has to be the most monumentally inept decision I've encountered. I'm also forced to revert to PS 2020. I want to add my voice to those whose workflow has been ruined. And I don't want to hear any more of their insulting 'workaround' nonsense. I totally concur with all those here who have expressed how Adobe's bungle shows an astonishing ignorance and disregard for their graphic artist user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really trying to figure out how this has to do with the line tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@steve rudd  Please stop.  Nothing your saying has anything to do with this conversation.  Your comments are inappropriate and don't belong in this forum thread.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it added nothing and wasted everyone's time. Sounds pretty close to me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jake_m 

because you'd need a really good line tool to link it all up if you had to 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate