• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.0 - cannot open TIF files, generated in other programs

Guide ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting from version 22.5.2 Photoshop stopped opening some tif files. The issue is related to a previously discovered vulnerability, the escalation of which, under certain conditions, may lead to arbitrary code execution - Adobe Security Bulletin.

Important: The problem is not with Photoshop, but with third-party software developers who do not keep track of current TIF specifications

A temporary solution to the problem is to convert files in third-party editors that completely update the structure of TIF files (for example, xnView, ImageMagik, etc.); such files can also be converted using the Camera Raw plug-in (via Bridge).

We all hope that Adobe can solve this problem and find a way to bring third-party files to modern standard. But I recommend that you independently contact the developers of programs whose files Photoshop cannot open. Notify them of the problem, recommend to contact @J453 using this community. Jeffrey can provide technical information to developers to solve this problem.

List of apps that have problems (according to your feedback):

There are no problems (or solved):

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

If you're still having trouble with TIFFs created/saved by software that's still being developed, please share the following information with them:

Photoshop’s TIFF parser had a buffer overrun security vulnerability in its synthesized calculation of the Image File Directory entry RowsPerStrip (278).

The fix for that was to reject TIFF files that did not provide the required RowsPerStrip (278) entry. Under the rationale that this IFD entry is required, as per the TIFF specification.

We have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

This change was originally made to reject Tiff files that lacked an attribute which could pose a security risk. Engineering is working on a change to amend that behavior to calculate the missing attribute when not provided, but only under the constraint that the calculation can be made with fidelity and not cause the security vulnerability.

For now, you can install the prior version to open tiffs from a trusted source. Install previous versions of your Creative Cloud apps

We'll update this t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 200 Replies 200
200 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Lumigraphics but unfortunatley that's no help to me as i'm sure if I email [ Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs ] and tell them to have a chat with Adobe about their Tif saving options (so I can carry on working) i'm sure I won't get very far! : )  The trouble is, each tile I download from Defra is 5000x5000 pixels @ 32bit and i'm stiching 16 of them together in Photoshop for an elevation map for each region i'm working on, but now I can't.

Also Adobe haven't said what 'attribute' is missing so I can't tell anyone what to change on their Tif saving options!

Adobe: "We could tell you Sir, but then we'd have to kill you. For security reasons".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 was quite good. Since 1st CC I can't remember one good release I'd like to be with for longer. Script Error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Also Adobe haven't said what 'attribute' is missing.........."

Given that it creates a security issue I don't think they are likely to.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once a fix is available, they should issue a CERT advisory with full details. That way other developers can see what the problem and fix are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem to open TIFF files created with other programs,
in Photoshop 23.

- TIFF files created with SNS-HDR, I can't open them. (Error: Could not be met because it is not the correct document type).

- Files processed with Capture One, and sent directly from the program, to editing in TIFF format, Photoshop opens them with Camera Raw.

-TIFF files with layers, generated with Affinity Photo, Photoshop no longer recognizes the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that all of those programs will be needing a security update to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, tried to install the older version but only 22.5.2 was available and my .tiff file couldn't open on that version as well. This is really frustrating and I hope it gets fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current workaround (quite pathetic, but a workaround nonetheless): The old beta version of Photoshop 22.5 can still be installed with the current CC app and opens my TIFF files. It's slow and likely buggy in other respects, but at least it works for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo

Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit, Version 21H1

Dateien die mit ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2018 im TIF Format (16Bit) gespeichert werden können seit dem neuesten Update von Photoshop, mit Photoshop Version 23.0.0 nicht geöffnet werden.

Fehlermeldung:

"Der Vorgang konnte nicht ausgeführt werde, weil dieses Dokument nicht vom richtigen Typ ist."

Affinity Photo und andere Programme können diese Dateien problemlos öffnen.

Ist das problem und eine Lösung bekannt?

Vielen Dank

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I am now paying a monthly fee for a software tool I cannot use, I would appreciate an update from Adobe on a time schedule to fix the problem. The alternative is to cancel the subscription and turn to other solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same for me when using Starnet++ with the latest version of Photoshop. As a workaround I open the starless image with Adobe Bridge and then open from Camera Raw. I thought it was my error until I searched on this forum 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see the official answer? Adobe may not be able to fix the problem. If another program creates malformed TIFF files with a security issue, that would be up to that developer to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's Adobe's final answer, it's a real shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow involves opening the file from Lightroom Classic to edit in PS. The files I am working with were processed with Capture One, created by a vendor. I am using the Open in Raw from Bridge now but it slows me down considerably. Any hope for the Capture One files to be openable in PS without Raw step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same situation as you. Considering that Capture One is my main processing software, if Adobe does not solve this issue, I would unfortunately be forced to look for an alternative for regular editing of my work. Even if I were to lose some of the features that Photoshop provides, I can't afford to waste the time I waste now, opening every TIFF photograph through Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can open them through Bridge/Raw but not edit unless I open in Photoshop *from* Raw and save again - I have been saving copies, not sure how saving this way will affect the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the users are warned of the risk of using unsecure files, they should be allowed for Legacy option that enables reading TIFF's by Photoshop. Surely the option should be disabled when first time installing new release, so no one would be suffered of careleslly provided application.

There're enough experienced users who know what they do to decide a way of doing that, at least many from here likely would meet consequences of own action than like to be constrained to look for alternate software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may start a request thread basing on 'Nov, 05 2021' post argument.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many people would just click through and get pwned? Everyone posting in this thread... this is why we have so much malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop seems to be only one protector of users while there are still plenty of other apps handling the tiffs the old way. The hint is to temporarily let these files be treated like so far (with option to disable), even assign official date of permanent disablement, at least as the signal to other brands to reconsider the same. Whatever direction would they take, at least the preparation time for the users to any scenario would be given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but this is Adobe's problem to sort out, that is one of the reasons we pay a subscription. I can't believe it is that difficult, after all two of the workarounds include using other Adobe products, Bridge and Lightroom and it's not causing an issue there it would is seem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problems with TIFF files created with Capture One. Photoshop forces me to open them through Camera Raw.

We are told that the problem arises from a security measure, to prevent malware, but I don't believe that software like C1, is introducing malware into the files. That software is an industry standard for taking and processing RAW files, just as Photoshop is a standard for image editing.

The full compatibility between the two platforms guarantees both manufacturers many customers, but if Adobe now, in order to protect its own application ecosystem, hampers C1-generated files, I fear it will unfortunately lose customers, as Lightroom is still behind C1 in many respects.

Many professionals who have invested in purchasing C1 licenses, were not going to switch to Lightroom now. For most jobs, it is easier for us to switch to programs like Affinity Photo as an alternative to Photoshop, if we can maintain a streamlined workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

".....but if Adobe now, in order to protect its own application ecosystem............"

Did you read the security info linked earlier in this thread? Adobe are not doing this to protect their ecosystem. They are doing it to protect vulnerabilities exposed on your system which potentially open up your system and data to attack. Read the links carefully.

I have no doubt Capture One is producing legitimate files. I am also in no doubt that the vulnerabilities in the TIFF files can be used by unscrupulous parties to attack your system. The recipient of the file in this case Adobe Photoshop, can only act to shut down the vulnerability. If Adobe knew about it and did not act then that is irresponsible and we would quickly be shouting about lost data. 

Adobe have already stated that they are looking for a way to make these files open without that exposure - see Jeff Tranberry's response.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Did you read the security info linked earlier in this thread?..."

Yes Dave, I believe I have read the entire thread, and I am aware of the answers given and the reasons given by Adobe for implementing this security measure.

However, I do not consider it a big problem to add an option in the Photoshop preferences settings, so that the user can decide to enable or disable such a measure, while other manufacturers are implementing security in their applications.

What cannot be done is to make an unequivocal decision, which implies the loss of time and possibly money for users. Some of us work daily with Photoshop and other image processing programs, and this measure is creating a serious problem for us, given the enormous amount of TIFF files we handle. And considering that Photoshop is a paid software, we would like to receive a good service.

I hope that in addition to reading Jeff Tranberry's, whom I thank for his attention and response, you will also read the comments and responses of the affected users, and put yourself in their shoes to understand them.

Thank you for your attention and best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate