• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.0 - cannot open TIF files, generated in other programs

Guide ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting from version 22.5.2 Photoshop stopped opening some tif files. The issue is related to a previously discovered vulnerability, the escalation of which, under certain conditions, may lead to arbitrary code execution - Adobe Security Bulletin.

Important: The problem is not with Photoshop, but with third-party software developers who do not keep track of current TIF specifications

A temporary solution to the problem is to convert files in third-party editors that completely update the structure of TIF files (for example, xnView, ImageMagik, etc.); such files can also be converted using the Camera Raw plug-in (via Bridge).

We all hope that Adobe can solve this problem and find a way to bring third-party files to modern standard. But I recommend that you independently contact the developers of programs whose files Photoshop cannot open. Notify them of the problem, recommend to contact @J453 using this community. Jeffrey can provide technical information to developers to solve this problem.

List of apps that have problems (according to your feedback):

There are no problems (or solved):

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

If you're still having trouble with TIFFs created/saved by software that's still being developed, please share the following information with them:

Photoshop’s TIFF parser had a buffer overrun security vulnerability in its synthesized calculation of the Image File Directory entry RowsPerStrip (278).

The fix for that was to reject TIFF files that did not provide the required RowsPerStrip (278) entry. Under the rationale that this IFD entry is required, as per the TIFF specification.

We have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

This change was originally made to reject Tiff files that lacked an attribute which could pose a security risk. Engineering is working on a change to amend that behavior to calculate the missing attribute when not provided, but only under the constraint that the calculation can be made with fidelity and not cause the security vulnerability.

For now, you can install the prior version to open tiffs from a trusted source. Install previous versions of your Creative Cloud apps

We'll update this t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 200 Replies 200
200 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Photoshop is freezing under Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, I've never used Batch - do I use Batch or Image Processor to open and resave trusted TIFFs? The Batch screen I have doesn't seem to have an open and save, just actions or am I missing something? Can you or someone dsktoppsbatch.jpg

explain the steps? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create action that opens tiff & save it. In the Batch choose Source & Destination paths. Tick on 1st & 3rd box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have noted some TIFF files are not playing nice with Photoshop vers 23.x. We have encountered another problem wth files from Epson Scan software and other older 32 bit programs we use here everyday.

Photoshop will open them but will not recognize them initially when attempting to run an Automation, Batch.

Running an action/batch on these files fails with a dialog saying there is a disk error. It also occurs when using the venerable Dr. Brown's script.

Once the files are opened once and closed immediatly they are good to go for a batch. Does that mean Photoshop writes something to the TIFF file just opening it and not saving it then? Does it write to the metadata and PS 23.x sees that? I do have logging on in the preferences.

The big problem here is that the offending file's application sources are not going to be updated. This breaks some years long workflows. There is no way around from having to open all the files and close them to get around the new restrictive TIFF specification that Adobe has adopted. That may mean opening and closing dozens or hundreds of files before doing a batch action.

This occurs on Late 2013 Mac Pro, Big Sur

I have a Mojave container/volume that I use to get around the 32 bit thing and I can run batch actions on the offending TIFFs with no problem on PS 22.x.

It appears that the new TIFF spec is too restrictive and should be modified to get around these problems, if possible. Perhaps Adobe should make a utility to batch correct TIFF files to meet their spec.

Hoping for a resolution,

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barry Rudick If you have TIFFs that are older and the software is no longer being developed, we suggest you use the batch command in Photoshop 22.5.1 to open and resave trusted tiffs so that they will open in current and future versions of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, this is a security issue, not a "restrictive TIFF specification." TIFF is actually very open and has lot of flexibility but applications which don't follow a standard are always at the risk of being hijacked by exploits, and those are hard to fix after the fact.

Since TIFF is open, I would expect that image processing developers and image libraries will all incorporate some kind of fix in the future, but you may just be out of luck with an older and unsupported app. This is one valid argument put forth by those in the Free Software movement.

Now that the exploit is public, don't be surprised to see files floating around which could be a security risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responding to Jeff's post:

That seems like the likely plan to follow.

It is interesting that opening and closing takes care of the problem. But I assume that PS would see an "infected" TIFF and not allow it's use?

Should all incoming TIFF files (we are a fine art printng company) be suspect? Is there a sniffer program to check?

Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barry Rudick If you're running 23.0.1 or later, Photoshop will reject TIFFs that lacked an attribute which could pose a security risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking at one more flavor of TIFF (tiled) to allow/support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453 Please do. Tiled Tiff files seem to be the cause of the error with all the existing files I have produced from Ultramap. Outputting files as scanline/interleaved, versus tiled/interleaved, resolves the file opening error. I have set all of my outputs as tiled, until now, since my orthophoto software requires tiled tifs and converts them before they can be imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JAtk Feel free to post or DM me a link to a Tiled TIFF from your workflow so I can have engineering regress any changes with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, what about tiled TIFFs? It seems that the new Photoshop rejects our tiled tiffs for the very same reason: because of the missing RowsPerStrip (278) entry? To my understanding it is not intended to write tiled tiffs with the RowsPerStrip (278) entry. What can we do about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to have fixed our problems with images created from Imagemagick and Apple Preview 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Will there also be a 23.0.3 build with this TIF change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. There will be no 23.0.3. Numbering skips from 23.0.2 > 23.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it fixed in 22.5.4?

Otherwise there is no information on 22.5.3 and 22.5.4 at Adobe site (at least I could not find it).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ivank11134774 Apologies. Yes. 22.5.4 also gets this tiled tiff fix as well as security fixes. This page has been updated but may take a few minutes to show the updates: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues-history.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds alot like: We locked the doors to your house and destroyed the keyhole.  This is because some burglars know how to pick locks.  Please reach out to your multi-billion dollar homebuilder and ask they they invent better lockmaking protocols for future doors/locks.  In the meantime, if you need access, go ahead and break your windows or cut a hole in the wall.  And if you want to "restore" your doors/locks to a previous version (ya know.. the one that worked) well too bad - we made that impossible.  Surely you won't, out of desperation to finish end-of-year projects and secure your end-of-year bonus, have to resort to heading over to the 'bay of pirates' to obtain a 9-year-old copy of CS6 so you can open your doors.  That would be naughty and Santa frowns upon it.  Again - good luck persuading that multi-billion dollar corporations that it's *their* fault *we* broke your doors.  Surely they'll help you out ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dealing with security issues is a good thing, not a bad thing. Forcing programmers to follow standards for interoperability is also a good thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that you never dealt with those old files prodused by programs/companies that do not exist on the market anymore. As for Adobe, it would not only be nice but required to make a simple one-click converter for such TIFFs to make them "good enough" for the modern Photoshop. Otherwise the suggested workarounds are disturbing the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing computer graphics since JPEG was still new. So yeah there are loads of TIFF files floating around, some of them really old. That STILL doesn't change the fact that leaving a security hole open is not acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having issues - spent considerable amount of time with support and no resolution. Images came from Epson ET-2600 printer/scanner. Some will open, some will not, resulting in this error message "Could not complete your request because of a program error". Using 23.4.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been  having incredibly frustrating time trying to get around this issue now. I have upgraded to 23.4.2 and I am still getting the invalid file error when trying to open TIFFs generated by our software. Before I ask our developers if they can (or will) implement changes as suggested by answers to this post, I'd like to make sure there's not something I am missing or that Adobe expects the latest releases (post 23.1) to completely take care of the problem.

Thanks,

CJSF

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your developers need to make sure that their implementation is up to standard. Most of the time, a developer will just use a library that is used in hundreds of other programs, so it isn't that big a deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate