• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.2.2 Can't open/update vector smart object in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today, I updated to macOS Monterey and now I am having problems opening vector smart objects in Photoshop files. If Illustrator is closed, when I double click the smart object (or choose edit contents) Illustrator will launch but the file will not open. 

If Illustrator is open and I try to open the smart object, I get a Mac error window that says "The application "Adobe Illustrator 2022" can't be opened" with a -1703 error code. 

I'm using Photoshop 23.2.1 and Illustrator 26.0.3, which I went back to after seeing the problem first occur in 26.1. 

The computer is iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2019  |  3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9  |  macOS Monterey 12.3

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

This should be resolved in macOS 12.3.1 that just went out.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 234 Replies 234
234 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, it was more helpful than mine. Unfortunately, this will not work for me, since I'm in the middle of a critical stage of a project. Reinstall MacOS now will compromise the whole schedule. We have to wait and use other workarounds until this issue gets fixed. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola. A partir de la última actualización de Photoshop no puedo abrir los archivos de ilustrator colocados en el photoshop como objeto inteligentes. Me da este error. Lo he probado en otra compu y sucede lo mismo.

Cómo puedo solucionarlo?

Captura de Pantalla 2022-03-22 a la(s) 15.50.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davidj43142994 If you are fortunate enough to have a Time Machine backup from prior to March 14 (when macOS Monterey 12.3 was released), you could restore the previous OS without a bootable installer. Just make sure you copy anything from your HD that you put on it after the 14th (or the date of your Time Machine back up) because everything on your HD will be restoresd back to the state at the time of the Time Machine backup you restore to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double click on a smart object in Photoshop that is a embed AI file it is not opening in Illustrator like it should. I get the following error:

The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened. -1703

I get that error when Illustrator is open. If I don't have Illustrator open, Photoshop will intiaiate the application launch so it knows what application to use (please do not suggest I check to see what application is my default for .ai files in Finder, already checked that).

I don't have issues with having PS files or AI files opening from within and Indesign document. Nor any issues opening an embeded image in AI in PS. I've uninstalled PS and AI and reinstalled. I've also logged out of CC and logged back in. 

This was never an issue till after I upgraded to newest versions of Photoshop and Illustrator last week. 

M1 Mac - macOS 12.3 Photshop 23.2.2 Illustrator 26.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double click on a smart object in Photoshop that is a embed AI file it is not opening in Illustrator like it should. I get the following error: The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened. -1703

By @clif_CROP

This is a known issue and Adobe is working on a fix. See this thread for details:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-23-2-2-can-t-open-update-vector-...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @jane-e I did a search and came across nothing at first so thank you for pointing me in right direction and that its not just my machine. Issue doesnt seem to affect my wife's M1 Mac with Adobe apps up to date so is it not all? Oh but I don't think she is on 12.3 so there is why.  Hoping for a fix ASAP, pretty crutial to be able to edit embedded AI files so please push to get a fix out soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. Only one Mac is on 12.3 but hoping for a fix ASAP as no real work around here to edit an embedded AI file other than opening it up on a non 12.3 Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @clif_CROP . You can Upvote on the other thread. I am a volunteer and do not work for Adobe, but engineering has said they are working on a fix. If you need to, you can go back to an earlier version of PS using the Creative Cloud app.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Illustrator 26.1

MacOS 12.3 Monterrey

Since yesterday, I get the error "The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened -1703" when trying to open a smart object from Photoshop to Illustrator. I edit smart objects a lot from Photoshop, so I've tried the following to get it to work.

Uninstalled 12.6 and reinstalled 26.1 (also tried 26.0.3 and 25.4.1)

Deleted Preferences

Not sure what else to try?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this has put a serious spanner in things - a really really big one. Any update since March 16th Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That came with the update of Monterey 12.3

The issue is known and there are a couple of threads already. Please add your vote to this: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44929336-smart-...

You will then be notified of the progress this makes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika

I did some searching, but didn't see that post. 

Kind Regards

Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get updates on this issue, please vote on this bug report: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44929336-smart-...

Uservoice is where you talk to the engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS 12.3 Monterrey -1703 errors can only be opened by registering them in the CC library
I was able to drag the "embedded vector smart-object" into the CC library once and then double-click to open it.
Sorry for the automatic translationpoto_02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9 days and the bug not fixed it..  this is shame

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the very same problem
I'm using Photoshop 23.2.2 and Illustrator 26.1
my computer is a Macbook Pro 16" with M1 pro, macOS Monterret 12.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating Photoshop and Illustrator to the last version, i can't open any Smart Object from illustrator, it gave me error. it's annoying, i have to export the resource and import again to photoshop.

Thanks.

MacOS Monterey 12.3

Photoshop 23.2.2

Illustrator 26.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this is happening in 2 different machines 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble with Photoshop; we're here to help. 

Thanks for reporting the issue. The team is investigating this, and we will soon try to resolve it.
We are moving this thread to the Primary one to keep track.
Feel free to reach out whenever needed.

Regards.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having something related to this maybe? when double-clicking on smart object in photoshop (v23.2.2) it should open the Illustrator file right away. I have this message and it won't open. I'm on AI 2022 version 26.1. System MacOs Monterey version 12.3
I have lots of photoshop files with vector files placed as smart objects so I can open them quickly and amend them, but now they won't open.

Screenshot 2022-03-24 at 12.18.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same.

Screenshot 2022-03-24 at 12.18.25.png

when double-clicking on smart object in photoshop (v23.2.2) it should open the Illustrator file right away. I have this message and it won't open. I'm on AI 2022 version 26.1. System MacOs Monterey version 12.3
I have lots of photoshop files with vector files placed as smart objects so I can open them quickly and amend them, but now they won't open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A week and a half since this since started
- we dont't have a fix from neither Adobe or Apple
- we have three workarounds

1. To get the object out, but without the edit-save-autoupdate:

a) right click - export contents - it will automatically save a pdf file - open with Illustrator
b) from the properties window - convert to linked - it will automatically save a pdf file - open with Illustrator

2. To open in Illustrator, with the ability of the edit-save-autoupdate:

a) open the Libraries window - drag-n-drop the file - doubleclick - it will automatically open in Illustrator - edit - save - it will automatically autoupdate in Photoshop; downside - it will make the object linked file, which means that if you share your file with other people you should embed it again

b) whenever you doubleclick the object, Photoshop will create a temporary file, that means the following steps:

doubleclick the smart object - get the error - ignore the error - go to photoshop temporary files - open the file in Illustrator - edit - save - it will automatically autoupdate in Photshop.

How to safely get to Photoshop Temporary Files Folder: open Terminal - insert command: open $TMPDIR - you should find the folder named Adobe Photoshop 2022 (or the version in use) - you could make a shortcut of that folder on your desktop for easy acces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @ogutuie I was unaware of this b option but I'm creating that shortcut right now to use till the fix. THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only work around is to export all smart vector objects in your file and then upload them to Adobe Libaries and update the smart objects from that location. THEN it will recognize Adobe Illustrator. Wildly annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate