• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop can't open, freezes on splash image, uses all of ram trying to open then crashes.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have googled every possible variation of this problem and tried every fix for this problem, none of them worked. I have tried reinstalling photoshop, deleting everything even remotely related to photohop in the appdata, deleting custom fonts, restarting the computer, updating graphics and computer, and holding every possible combination of alt, ctrl and shift while trying to launch in administrator mode. The result is always the same. It opens the splash image, gets to loading preferences or brushes, spikes RAM usage to every last byte of RAM I have, freezes the computer, then crashes.

And no i'm not running it on a potato i'm running it on an Alienware Aurora 4090, it should have more than enough power to handle this and Photoshop ran perfectly fine for months. Then just today it crashed and has never started up again.

Photoshop version 25.11

Help.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

UPDATE

As the team investigates this issue, it has been determined that if you remove these beta apps:

• Media Encoder beta
  • After Effects beta
  • Premiere Pro beta and
  • Character Animator beta

your other Adobe apps should open as expected.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 711 Replies 711
711 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I have two versions of Photoshop installed on the Windows machine. Both versions got stuck.

Tried the following:

- Removing preferences

- Updated to latest version

- Reinstalling Photoshop

- Keeping Windows up-to-date

Windows 10 19045.4651

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, crashing

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since this morning, I've been unable to open Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't know the cause of the problem. I tried installing an older version, but I'm still facing the same issue. Photoshop gets stuck while opening, and if luckily Illustrator gets open then it will shows "not responding" or suddenly the application crash. My system has 32GB RAM. Please help me with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shane390200842vto try manually resetting your Photoshop preferences
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Remember to back up your settings before doing the preference reset
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

If that doesn't help try the Adobe Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have exact the same problem on my windows 10 machine . Photoshop and Illustrator are not opening anymore. Other CC programs (after effect, media encoder & bridge) are working fine. I've followed the advice of Ged_Traynor and run the adobe cleaner tool. Then fresh, new install, without any preferences. But the problem still persists. Any hints how to solve the problem? Kind regards, Walter

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue MB AIR @m2. Worked Yesterday evenung but stopped today morning. 
Hang up with memory usage of 44GB. 

Updating, installing old versions eetc didn't help

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ged_Traynor I have followed the instruction which was there and after doing everyting I am still facing the same issue. I found that while opening Photoshop or Illustrator the usage of memory is increasing.Screenshot 2024-08-06 162512.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Ged_Traynor's advice on my iMac and the problem still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helped the Beta software remove using Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me. I'm on Windows 11. Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign are freezing in the same way. What's even worse is that during the freeze, I experience a memory leak until the total consumption and the PC crashes. Last night, everything was working fine, but this morning, none of the three applications work (not even their beta versions). I've reinstalled everything using Adobe's remover... I've turned off the antivirus, but nothing helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I solved the problem!!! Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to remove all the BETA applications... ALL of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god, I tried it and Photoshop opened! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Photoshop, which was working 1 day ago, is giving an error today and cannot pass this screen.
I am using Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday everything worked fine but after updating to 25.11 (PS) and 25.12 (PS BETA) on macOS both apps froze during startup on the attached frame. I've tried restarting, reinstalling, deleting preferences, and holding shift to start without third-party plugins but nothing seems to work... Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured this out because only the beta applications were updated last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that worked for me as well. Thank's a lot Bogdan! Thinking logically pays off ... Moral of the story ... stay away from Beta's. Best, Walter

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou soo much @Bogdan Bobo You saved my day after removing the beta versions now I can easily use Photoshop and Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try resetting the preferences for both Photoshop and Illustrator by holding Alt+Ctrl+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac) while launching the apps. If the problem persists, update your graphics drivers and ensure your system meets the software requirements. Reinstalling Creative Cloud might also help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed both, beta and normal versions, with preferences deleted, and tried to install again, didn't help. but installing only oldest version (22.2) of photoshop, got some luck. Oldest version works for now, so at least I have photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I cannot open Photoshop - neither the release nor beta versions. There seems to be a memeory leak - upon launch, Photoshop just hangs on the splash screen, and gobbles up all my RAM (I have 128GB RAM and several TB of SSD space). I'm now launching PS Beta and looking at the Task Manger; it's going from 10GB...20GB....25GB (the splash screen just says "Done sorting font list.". Now at 40GB...50GB....I'll post this message before Chrome says it doesn't have enough memory to continue 'cos PS has gobbled it all up. (Ps is at 75GB now and rising quickly).

EDIT: I forced-quit Photoshop, and I'm now installing version 25.5 through the Creative Cloud Desktop app...

Upon launch of PS 25.5, it's doing exactly the same thing...currently at 50GB and rising. Ugh, Adobe, what have you done?! 60GB now....time for a force quit...now at 90GB...

I also tried 24.7.4....exactly the same problem. What's going on?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankk youu bro problem solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here after updating Photoshop Beta 25.12

Sincerely
Thorsten
Werbeagentur Schulz-Design 

Sincerely
Thorsten
https://www.schulzdesign.info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
Thanks for your tip.
No BETAs appear in my Creatice Cloud Cleaner tool.

Sincerely
Thorsten

Werbeagentur Schulz-Design 

Sincerely
Thorsten
https://www.schulzdesign.info

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Either Photoshop 2024 or the beta, both getting stuck at Halide Bottlenecks. When putting a 

~ in front of the according extension in the package, it just gets stuck at the next extension to load. 

This is SUPER FRUSTRATING since I need to complete a job and can't do anything. Cleaning all apps may be the workaround but that does not leave a professional impression to me regarding how Adobe handles this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate