• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop creates a gude log while working with files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beim Arbeiten mit der aktuellen Photoshop-Version hängt sich Photoshop nach kürzester Zeit auf, d.h. die Bedienoberfläche und Menüs verschwinden und ein speichern ist nicht möglich. Folgende Fehlermeldung schreibt er in die log-Datei (gude-2022-04-14.log):

[WARN] WGudeRequest::applyAutoDetectProxyAutoConfigSettings Failed to autodetect proxy settings. WinHTTP Unable To Download Script. last error code = 12167

Hat jemand ein ähnliches Problem und kann mir helfen? Vielen Dank.

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Thank you everyone for your patience. This issue has been fixed with the release of 24.2.

Thank you,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 500 Replies 500
500 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just a bug Adobe hasn't seemed to have fixed yet. The pinned reply on this issue from Adobe has a date of May 13. I hope the amount of attention from customers in this thread will spur some attention on Adobe's part.

Temporary fix until Adobe gets their act together: Instead of opening images by double-clicking from Windows Explorer: Right-click the file and select Open with Photoshop. Or open the file from within Photoshop, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. This will avoid the whole gude log-file-thingy issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverting back to PS 24.0.1 also works. So it's a possible bug that was
re-introduced in 24.1. I'm still betting on it being some debugging code
that was not commented out in the final build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed a new Adobe Creative Cloud subscription of Photoshop 24.1.0 on Windows 11 (Home), and confirm that if you double-click to open a .PSD file, it will cause a GUDE log text file to be created in the same folder. If you right-click and open the file with PS, no log file will be created. There are useless GUDE files all over my image folders. Can Adobe please fix this in the next release? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Die Meldung von Fehlern auf dieser Plattform ist völlig sinnlos. Adobe ist das Problem seit Mai bekannt, aber anscheinend nicht an einer Fehlerbehebung interessiert. Auch die Aufforderung genaue Daten zum Betriebssystem etc. zu posten, ist nur Beschäftigungstherapie. Der Fehler ist reproduzierbar und kann somit von Adobe jederzeit selbst nachvollzogen werden. Auch die angebotenen Workarounds wie das Umschalten des Proxyservers auf manuell oder das Öffnen der Datei mit Rechtsklick sind nicht die Lösung des Problems, zumal der Fehler erst durch das Update im Mai auftrat. Auch der deutsche Telefonsupport von Adobe scheint mir wenig Einfluss auf die Entwicklerabteilung zu haben.

Reporting bugs on this platform is completely pointless. Adobe has been aware of the problem since May, but is apparently not interested in fixing it. Even the request to post exact data about the operating system etc. is just occupational therapy. The error is reproducible and can therefore be reproduced by Adobe itself at any time. Even the workarounds offered, such as switching the proxy server to manual or opening the file with a right-click, are not the solution to the problem, especially since the error only occurred with the update in May. Adobe's German phone support also seems to me to have little influence on the developer department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't care because customers need the product and will pay to use it, either with bug or not, people will pay, that's what Adobe needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same freaking issue - fix what you break!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is this "investigation" going to take?  I have the exact same issue when I double click from File Explorer (Win11) on a .HEIC file that Photoshop opens then I get a new file called gude-2022-12-23.log:

11:16:06:953 [ALWAYS] GUDE Logging Started
11:16:06:953 [INFO] SqliteResumeCache::SqliteResumeCache basedirectory is null/empty
11:16:06:953 [ERROR] SqliteResumeCache::CreateSqliteResumeCache creating resume cache pointer failure
11:16:06:953 [ERROR] Initialize resume cache pointer failure
11:16:06:953 [INFO] gude policy POLICY_USER limit (2,2,1) chunk 2097152, chunking (UL 0 DL 1), resXfer 1, adapt 0, NSURL 0, timeout 86400
11:16:06:953 [INFO] Initialized -- gude-lib version: v0.12.1 app: gude
11:16:08:209 [WARN] Ignoring attempt to reinit logging to \gude at level 4 retaining 3 days of logs
11:16:08:210 [INFO] SqliteResumeCache::SqliteResumeCache basedirectory is null/empty
11:16:08:210 [ERROR] SqliteResumeCache::CreateSqliteResumeCache creating resume cache pointer failure
11:16:08:210 [ERROR] Initialize resume cache pointer failure
11:16:08:210 [INFO] gude policy POLICY_USER limit (4,4,1) chunk 2097152, chunking (UL 0 DL 1), resXfer 1, adapt 0, NSURL 1, timeout 86400
11:16:08:210 [INFO] Initialized -- gude-lib version: v0.12.1 app: gude
11:20:07:793 [ALWAYS] GUDE Logging Started
11:20:07:794 [INFO] SqliteResumeCache::SqliteResumeCache basedirectory is null/empty
11:20:07:794 [ERROR] SqliteResumeCache::CreateSqliteResumeCache creating resume cache pointer failure
11:20:07:794 [ERROR] Initialize resume cache pointer failure
11:20:07:794 [INFO] gude policy POLICY_USER limit (2,2,1) chunk 2097152, chunking (UL 0 DL 1), resXfer 1, adapt 0, NSURL 0, timeout 86400
11:20:07:794 [INFO] Initialized -- gude-lib version: v0.12.1 app: gude
11:20:09:123 [WARN] Ignoring attempt to reinit logging to \gude at level 4 retaining 3 days of logs
11:20:09:123 [INFO] SqliteResumeCache::SqliteResumeCache basedirectory is null/empty
11:20:09:123 [ERROR] SqliteResumeCache::CreateSqliteResumeCache creating resume cache pointer failure
11:20:09:123 [ERROR] Initialize resume cache pointer failure
11:20:09:124 [INFO] gude policy POLICY_USER limit (4,4,1) chunk 2097152, chunking (UL 0 DL 1), resXfer 1, adapt 0, NSURL 1, timeout 86400
11:20:09:124 [INFO] Initialized -- gude-lib version: v0.12.1 app: gude

I'm running Ps v24.1.0

8 months since this was reported and several versions later and problem still persists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I may have found an alternative solution.

Disabling proxy auto settings and changing default program for impacted files (.psd or .ai) seems to have worked for me.

For my case, changing .psd default program and setting it back again has done the trick for me.

I don't know if both actions have made it possible or it's the proxy setting change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't help.  As soon as I started editing an image in PS, the GUDE logging occurs.

"GUDE Logging Started"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that, sadly no go ... same issue with these GUDE files keep getting generated.

I'm having a hard time understanding why Adobe haven't made it a CRITICAL issue to resolve?  ... 8 months an nothing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's latest update on this issue:

"This mail is regarding Photoshop GUDE file getting created while working on files. As discussed, this is a known issue and our engineering team are working on it to get it fixed at the earliest. We request you to be patient and wait for the update."

"Be patient and wait" is an absolutely incredible workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to use Bridge, but it's worse software than Windows Explorer!!

There must be a reasonable solution. If it does not exist, it means that Adobe service is not interested in solving the problems. And this is a much more serious problem. And unfortunately it has been going on for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening for me. see below

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did reset preferences in PS and tried turning off auto proxy...still same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started getting this issue too recently.

I rarely if ever open a file from within photoshop - I just double click the PSD in file explorer and work from there. Have been doing that for ever. In the last month PS has decided to leave this trail of gudes - a new one for every time I open the file. They do get to be a little numerous - lol.

Since this issue has been going on for quite some months now for some (May for goodness sakes!), it would be nice for the team to actually fix it. Taking so long to sort the issue gives the impression that it may not really be on the must fix list.

C'mon Adobe - you are better than that!

A fix today will be just fine - thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_1.jpgI'm wondering why as of Dec 25, 2022, this issue keeps recurring!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - as of yesterday,  December 25, 2022 - I'm seeing these GUDE-YYYY-MM-DD.log files everywhere

Nothing seems to happen if I delete them after Photoshop is closed... I can reopen PSD without any issues.  It's annoying to have all this "digital litter" all over my drives.  What's the verdict?  Uninstall PS and reinstall?

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found a sure solution other than to down-grade back to the
previous version.
Adobe's aware of the issue, and their current workaround is for us to wait
and be patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Any updates, please? Here in this thread it was said it would be fixed with versiob 23.3.1, but this very same issue started to appearing for me for the last few days. Using PS 24.1 and Windows 11

Thanks!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your declarative about the "same issue" could mean the creation of the log file, or the corruption element. Emotional declarations often fail to communicate precisely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem: An unwanted "gude*.log" file is created in Windows directories when opening a file.

Method: I did some testing via various cases, found some clarification, and a work-around. I do not cover every possibility:

Cases:

1. If Photoshop is closed, and you instigate it to open via either click or right-click/"Open" on a file; one & only one "gude*.log" is created. If you close the file out of Photoshop (even without editing it) the log cannot be deleted as an alert says, the file is open in Photoshop. (Whether "the file" means the log file or the image file is an open question but also irrelevant.) If you close Photoshop you can then delete the log file.

2. If Photoshop is closed, and you instigate it to open via right-click/"Open with"/Photoshop in the context menu, no gude*.log is created. 

3. If Photoshop is already open, neither clicking, nor right-click/"Open," nor right click/"Open with" creates gude*.log.

4. Using Bridge to view, open, or process files never creates gude*.log.

5. Conclusion, Starting Photoshop via clicking, OR via right click/"Open" command, creates a persistent gude*.log so don't do that!

Solutions (3): Starting Photoshop via right click/"Open with"/Photoshop does NOT create gude*.log., nor is one created if Photoshop is already open when opening files, no matter the method. Using Bridge as it is designed, to manage image files including opening, is the best solution (but daunting for new users).

~~~~

For the record, about editing files: Using Bridge to open files is a best practice (and it does not create log files). Familiarity with Bridge will vastly improve your speed of use of Photoshop, especially if you plan to do work in volume. You should add Bridge to the Windows Explorer context menu, then to view files in any folder, select a file then: right-click/"Open with"/Bridge.

Adobe has recently gone to a lot of trouble making Bridge better by being able to consistently display the contents of multiple folders at once. It did get slightly more complicated but Bridge's ability to filter, to display just the files types you want to see, while hiding those you do not, is a necessity for working with folder directories. It also tells you how many of each file type is in a directory.

The best advise is, if you use Photoshop, use Bridge! For confidence, users should create & name a custom workspace (just as in Photoshop) with the panels displaying that they prefer, because you can revert back to it if Bridge's many panels become mixed (right-click the workspace name, "reset to saved layout"). I've been using Bridge for decades and could not efficiently work in Photoshop without it. Bridge is the King of image organization, it will instantly display your images full-screen at 100%, plus do batch processing, batch renaming, or many custom steps in a row on any number of files.

P.S. All testing was on PSP 24.1 with Win 10. And as always, if I am completely wrong here, do let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem: An unwanted "gude*.log" file is created in Windows directories when opening a file.

Method: I did some testing via various cases, found some clarification, and a work-around. I do not cover every possibility:

Cases:

1. If Photoshop is closed, and you instigate it to open via either click or right-click/"Open" on a file; one & only one "gude*.log" is created. If you close the file out of Photoshop (even without editing it) the log cannot be deleted as an alert says, the file is open in Photoshop. (Whether "the file" means the log file or the image file is an open question but also irrelevant.) If you close Photoshop you can then delete the log file.

2. If Photoshop is closed, and you instigate it to open via right-click/"Open with"/Photoshop in the context menu, no gude*.log is created. 

3. If Photoshop is already open, neither clicking, nor right-click/"Open," nor right click/"Open with" creates gude*.log.

4. Using Bridge to view, open, or process files never creates gude*.log.

5. Conclusion, Starting Photoshop via clicking, OR via right click/"Open" command, creates a persistent gude*.log so don't do that!

Solutions (3): Starting Photoshop via right click/"Open with"/Photoshop does NOT create gude*.log., nor is one created if Photoshop is already open when opening files, no matter the method. Using Bridge as it is designed, to manage image files including opening, is the best solution (but daunting for new users).

~~~~

For the record, about editing files: Using Bridge to open files is a best practice (and it does not create log files). Familiarity with Bridge will vastly improve your speed of use of Photoshop, especially if you plan to do work in volume. You should add Bridge to the Windows Explorer context menu, then to view files in any folder, select a file then: right-click/"Open with"/Bridge.

Adobe has recently gone to a lot of trouble making Bridge better by being able to consistently display the contents of multiple folders at once. It did get slightly more complicated but Bridge's ability to filter, to display just the files types you want to see, while hiding those you do not, is a necessity for working with folder directories. It also tells you how many of each file type is in a directory.

The best advise is, if you use Photoshop, use Bridge! For confidence, users should create & name a custom workspace (just as in Photoshop) with the panels displaying that they prefer, because you can revert back to it if Bridge's many panels become mixed (right-click the workspace name, "reset to saved layout"). I've been using Bridge for decades and could not efficiently work in Photoshop without it. Bridge is the King of image organization, it will instantly display your images full-screen at 100%, plus do batch processing, batch renaming, or many custom steps in a row on any number of files.

P.S. All testing was on PSP 24.1 with Win 10. And as always, if I am completely wrong here, do let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this, see my post "Solution for unwanted "gude.log" file creation issue in Photoshop."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this, see my post with both "solution" & gude*.log in the title.

Votes

Translate

Translate