Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop (v25.5.1 & v25.6) opening with black/blank home screen

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks! 

I was working with photoshop and illustrator, then I went to lunch and closed both apps. 
When booting them up again, Photoshop "home screen" is black. I can't open recent files. 

When I open a saved .psd, the file opens correctly.

Already updated to the 25.5.1 version.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

The team has been informed about this. We advise against renaming UXP folders as various other Adobe Apps share this directory, which may result in unexpected behaviors & broken workflows. 

Update: Follow the steps here to refresh caches for an essential Creative Cloud component. 

Steps for Windows (Steps for macOS shared below - click 'Jump to reply')
  1. Quit Photoshop.
  2. Go to C:\Users\useprofilename\appData\roaming\adobe\ccx welcome
      Press Windows + R & type in - %appdata%\Adobe\CCX Welcome  &
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 207 Replies 207
207 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 5.37.19 PM.png

Hello everyone,

I’m encountering an issue with Adobe Photoshop 2024 where, upon launching the application, I am met with a blank startup screen without any open documents or the usual welcome screen with options to create or open a file. The menus and options are accessible, but there's nothing on the workspace – it's just a dark background.

Things I’ve already tried:

• Restarting Photoshop
  • Rebooting my computer
  • Ensuring my system meets the hardware requirements for Photoshop

Before I consider reinstalling or resetting preferences, I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue and found a solution. 

Any advice on how to resolve this and get back to editing would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it fixes it for me, it makes Photoshop think that it isn't up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will give that a try.Pretty bad to pay good money each month and the crap not working like it has before the last couple update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and photoshop support has failed 4 times, even when they take control of my pc they come up empty. I'm windows, i did every step I could find online. Sadly reinstalling did nothing for me either and all my pc hardware and software are up to date, everything was working fine 6 hours ago but support keeps trying to say it's my PC and not photoshop. hope a solution is found. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_2293.jpeg

my photoshop crashed and it's been stuck like this. i deleted it and installed it 5 times. need helppp

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I ran many steps prior to the current solution my home functionality worked but at the cost of my history not showing up. If you haven't ran any steps and you're using the latest version, you can open the Creative Cloud Desktop app and navigate to Apps and click the three dots icon on the bottom left of your photoshop app and click other version and install version 25.5.1, make sure to save your work and close out any instances of photoshop. This will restore function to the home screen and hopefully your works are still there.

If you did run some testing to try and resolve the issue by renaming files and what not, you can try this (im on windows): windows + R key, type %appdata% and hit enter. Go to the Adobe folder and then Adobe photoshop 2024 and look for a settings folder that'll most likely be named Adobe Pohotoshop 2024 settings.old or one without .old, the .old will have your works, you will delete the other one and rename the one with .old by simply backspacing the .old till it just says Adobe photoshop 2024 settings and then open photoshop again and your works should be there.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Non of those tips works!

Thank's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - Blank screen - nothing working........... Re-installed Photoshop 2024 to my 64g Mac and still same thing - I hope years of work are not gone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me about an hour ago - it ain't all of our machines being the issue as alluded to earlier.  This is bad timeing for me ... Hope Adobe can pull off a miracle........(and not blame our machines) I'm on a MAC so odd it is happening to other people with Windows too................................

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi! when i open photoshop 2024 on my macbook it shows a black image and it doesnt work. i tried with shuutting down my mac, reinstalating adobe creative cloud and photoshop. i even restarted my mac and refformating it but it doesnt work. what can i do?

Captura de pantalla 2024-03-19 a la(s) 12.40.21 a. m..png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on a brand new M2 Max and on my 27 imac.It was the only thing i added to the new one so i deleted it and installed 3-5 times still nothing. So i did a factory reset on the new one and its still the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue! The only work-around is going to "File" then "New, "Open," etc. I've also tried installing older verisons of Photoshop – but, nothing else is working. I am also utilizing the latest MacOS – yet, both PC and Mac users are having this issues, so it must be Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Pressing ESC should bring you to the Workspace with no documents open, as a near term workaround. We don't know yet why the Start scrren is failing. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One minute I was closing the program to reload and when I opened it back up, the thumbnails of my recent projects were gone. I don't exactly understand what happened as I tried to find the setting where it states to show thumbnails of recent projects, but it was gone. the whole menu is also gone (create new and open buttons, the sorting settings) Literally everything! The only ways I can access my files is via "files" and then open or through the creative cloud app. 

Please fix this, this is very annoying to deal with!

Screenshot 2024-03-19 180953.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For apparently no reason, Photoshop today just started closing the workspace when I close the image I am working on. And if I restore the default workspace, then close Photoshop and restart, there is no workspace again.

When the Photoshop window is blank, going to Window->Workspace shows that "Essentials" is still the chosen workspace (see screenshot).

If I go into Window->Workspace and just re-select "Essentials" or "Photography", etc, then the workspace returns.

I have tried resetting the prefs (Shift-Option-Cmd at startup) but no fix. I have made no changes to any settings otherwise. I have no 3rd-party plugins installed.

I have searched these forums, and the web, and can't find any reports of this happening elsewhere.

Am I going crazy or is this a bug?

Thanks for any help. Regards, M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, it seems that the cause is that the Home Screen has spontaneously stopped working. I notice that it's not there anymore. As soon as I disable it in Settings->General (untick "Auto show the Home Screen") then my workspace stays visible at all times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I've tried everything above, including installing the pervious version and am getting the same blank screen. Hoping Adobe can get this sorted out quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mickjs Photoshop 25.6 is still in Beta, try reporting the issue on the Photoshop (Beta) forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sofia361681747iih can you post your Photoshop system info, in Photoshop go to Help > System Info, hit the copy button and paste the entire thing into this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you. I had no idea I was getting beta releases! The CC app says that 25.6 is the "latest version". Could you please tell me how to stop getting beta releases? I honestly can't find such an option in the CC app. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cari35140126ha2w try manually resetting your Photoshop preferences
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Remember to backup your settings before doing the preference reset
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry, that was a dumb question. I do subscribe to the beta version of Photoshop, but according to my CC app, 25.6 is the release version. Can you please clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 19.15.22.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mickjs looks like you have indeed the 25.6 stable release, I wasn't aware that it was released to the public yet, there's no mention of it here

2024-03-19 08_23_48-Photoshop ecosystem - Adobe Community — Mozilla Firefox.pngI'm not getting the option to update at the moment, so can't test on my end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for following up; much appreciated. Out of interest I just checked the latest beta 25.7 (here) and, somewhat ironically, it doesn't seem to have the "home screen" issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate