• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We pay $500+ a year to use Adobe products and the competition for them keeps getting tougher — Sketch, Procreate, Affinity Designer, et al.

You would think they would care about how to make their products better. Thing is I WANT to continue to use them. But stuff like this is just rude and insensitive to users and will eventually hurt their bottom line if they continue to alienate users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's really frustrating for me is that these days, Game Developers are much more responsive about issues with any new release and will generally post a patch within a few days. Game Developers! Those bugs aren't affecting people's jobs and yet they patch 100x faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed agitpromo...One would think that after all the complaints, and if Adobe really cared about their users, they would have already put it back the way it was and then work on making changes that the user could elect to use or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The time I've spent trying to decipher all these months of "getting nowhere" comments, to cut through the anger and ridiculous, unproductive BS, simply to try to find an answer of how to simply get back to how we are used to work with "shift or no shift" (trained by adobe products no less) is ludicrous. I can be "retrained" but seriously... at the very least, there should be a quick work around, and there should be an EASY and direct way to find an answer to something that have so many people struggling. I personally do not want to hold shift down to to purposely transform/distort imagery.  We've simply been trained otherwise, and it's not consistent with other adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping silent about this Issue is so wrong on many levels.

I don't think Adobe really care or worry about the handful of users who are complaining about this.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done that! First thing I did agitpromo . I also suggested people reach out via other social media platforms using hashtags. Adobe needs to listen to their customers.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about AIGA, Ad Club and other legitimate associations, can they be informed of this and summoned to help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For gods sake learn your lesson - YOU CANNOT CHANGE DEFAULT BEHAVIOR LIKE THIS !!! It is NEVER EVER ACCEPTABLE nor desirable. Another one of those stupid "improvements" that everybody hates and Adobe has to roll back. Who the f ... signs off on these things? Insane. Could we PLEASE get through 2019 without anymore of this "improvement" crap ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michael Madsen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I noticed there is an update for photoshop, however, when I click the "What's New" link it takes me to this page: https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/features.html?mv=product&mv2=accc#!
which doesn't seem to have been updated since 2018!
So, how do I know what precisely was updated?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexandra, you can find what issues were addressed here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rosa. I don't see anything on Free Transform yet, so I don't think I'll update. However, should I update it just because others have experienced these issues? I haven't. TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using PS 2018 alongside PS 2019 but I've kept 2019 updated and since the 20.0.3, I must admit that there have been no other performance issues for me, other than the bothersome Free Transform/Constrain Link issue. I sometimes forget how the tool has changed but other than that all seems to be fine 🙂
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohh ok. I only use CC19 for the new Content Aware now. Thank you, I updated it just so it's updated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please!! No more stupid 'improvements' that wreak havoc on those of us who use this program on a professional basis!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had terrible times with this. On the mac, proportional transform seeems to work by pressing the fn key instead of shift. But that is an unecessary workflow disruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content Aware SCALE does not work. Tried to strech layer horizontal but it stretches all the selection. 
1. Select area i want to stretch. 
2. Edit, Content Aware Scale
3. Try to strech just the horizontal sides. 
But no, it stretches the whole image which is pretty unusual because it has worked before for me with no problem. I had to end up using Content Aware Fill...
No idea what is going on. Help please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I can impart a little humor in this situation. Here goes:
As the story goes, one afternoon a couple just leaving a costume party as a Cow decided to take a shortcut home across a field.

We will call the guy in the front of the cow costume, Mr. User. Let’s call his wife who was the back end of the cow, Mrs. User.

Mr. user and Mrs. User began their journey across the field. Romping along, they were having a great time, until they saw Mr. Bull, we will call him Adobe, was charging toward them.

Mrs. User said in a panic, “What are we going to do.”

Mr. User said, “I’m going to bend over and eat some grass and, if I were you, I would brace myself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the love of god can you PLEASE give us back the old behaviour ... or at least the choice. This is doing my head in.

While I am at .. this forum utterly confusing, where is the reply button to a post ? I have to keep making new posts because there doesn't appear to be a simple reply button. I find this forum to be the most frustrating/confusing to navigate that I have ever used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can confirm that content aware scaling no longer works... i'll file a bug report about this. In the meantime, you can revert back to CC2018 if you need the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CAS is a transformation. Hold shift and you can stretch just the horizontal sides. Be sure to release the mouse BEFORE releasing the shift key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to have their heads completely in their hinnies with the new changes, and you are correct Michael Stephenson— this forum is the biggest joke of all that Adobe has forced us to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Jeffrey Tranberry !
You promised a solution that works for everybody ! Now it's March! Whats going on ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah c'mon, we are all hoping for a solution. please Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t mind the new function that switches Proportional Transform behavior, I’m ok with that.
What REALLY IRRITATES me it’s the Transform being still applied even if I click with the mouse when I’m outside the transform box area. 
Pressing the Enter key already did that.
IT’S UP TO ME TO DECIDE WHEN TO APPLY THE TRANSFORM, AND USING JUST THE ENTER KEY WAS THE BEST WAY!
WHY DID YOU CHANGE THAT!? 
As example, if I want to rotate things in fast mode, now I SIMPLY CAN’T! Because to do that I have to point exactly near the handle area; if by mistake I click just a bit away from there, Transform is applied.
Another frustrating example? If I have to tweak long using the Warp tool and accidentally click too far away from there... again, Transform is applied!
I DON’T LIKE THAT, I DON’T NEED THAT, IT’S NOT USEFUL! I’M SURE NOBODY WANTS NOR NEED THAT!
WHO’S THE GENIUS BEHIND THIS BRILLIANT NEW FEATURE!? TELL ME!

Votes

Translate

Translate