• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's exactly my problem as well, I wrote that as well before, to rotate the mouse needs to be close to an anchor point. Exactly this is one reason for not updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup. Unfortunately they designed that behavior for people who use Ps once a year and couldn't figure out how to hit return, enter or double-click... which appears to be the direction a lot of features are going these days...

Meanwhile, those of us with jobs in the industry are struggling with getting our jobs done, which has been made much more difficult by the recent "updates."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my, this click/transform has been on my nerves all week, because I am doing a lot of transform motif work lately.

It's amazing how much time - it's not just literal time - it's is the breaking up of a smooth workflow that disconnects me. I used to be very smooth with these things, could do with my eyes closed.

Now I have to zoom in and focus on the tools, like when I was first starting.

All of these things, this entire thread is in existence because They did not think to make these things user preferences.

It also scares me that these aren't quick fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am starting to get the feeling that Adobe wants us to use this forum as a way to contain the blowback. This is the emptiest echo chamber I have ever been in. I bet they dont even read this sh&t!

I have moved most of my comments to Twitter and I also link to some of these responses on Twitter. 

I would recommend we all abandon this empty plate of complaints and take to Twitter where more people are listening and Adobe fears that platform's voice.

Just do a search for "photoshop shift key" or #photoshopshiftgate and you will see there is a ton of good feedback and lots of complaints — from seasoned AND new users, young and old — around all of these issues.

Adobe has created this forum to silence us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep mentioning @adobe and @photoshop for every post and they will start to get nervous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe had no problem raising my subscription price. The benefit of the subscription model is that I always have the latest version of the software. If I revert to an earlier version, I lose that benefit. I could not help but notice that my productivity was suffering due to changing this behavior in Photoshop only. Out of my frustration, I called Adobe and complained. The salesperson would be happy to transfer me to someone who would help instruct me on this new "feature".  I had to reason with him. I asked if he drove a car. No. A bicycle? Yes. So I asked how he would feel if he took his bike in for a tune-up and when he got it back, he was told the new feature of his upgraded bike meant he needed to pedal in reverse to go forward. I asked how he would like that. How would he feel if I offered to have a tech help instruct him on using this new feature. I asked how he would feel after riding for years pedaling one way to now have to unlearn that, and get used to the new way of pedaling. I got him to agree that there would be some time where his bicycling would be inefficient. He wouldn't get to places as fast or efficiently. Then I said I respectfully ask that you refund me four months of my subscription to compensate me for my lack of productivity. Then he said he could give me three. It occurs to me that this might be the only way Adobe listens, so I thought I would share it to the forum. If enough users told Adobe how they screwed up, and asked for compensation, and it is a reasonable request, it might get their attention. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is awesome.

Now go to Twitter and tweet a link to this comment.

Adobe isn't listening to anyone on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I feel this forum is just a way for us to bitch and that Adobe doesn’t care one bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe had a reason to make a change. They still have that reason, so going "back" isn't likely to happen. Creating a new feature that offers the choice and flexibility we asked for in the first place is more likely what's going to happen, and creating a new feature without breaking half the rest of the program is obviously not something that gets done overnight.

Jeffrey promised they're working on it, so as annoying as this is (primarily for me it's moving between apps and having it all change again AND the click to commit),  we need to have some patience. We don't want to be just as angry if they release it so a) not everyone can feel taken care of and b) we  find a lot of critical features broken as a result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I too find the change in the use of the modifier key to transform a layer extremely frustrating, I'm very happy that Adobe publishes Photoshop in the first place.

It's good to know that one can get a credit for a few months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They practically added this "feature" overnight, so why so hard to revert it?

Why even drop in a feature like this, if it could break half the span of a 2 decade software program? 

I'd like to think they would have considered it for much longer.

I have no space for any excuses for them. I'd be fired on the spot if I ever did something like this. Anyways, the only choice available is to be patience, or use an older version.

In the meantime, I will use this space to occasionally vent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton

We do pay an ever increasing subscription for professional features and some level of corporate trust - right?

I'm actually fine with the change, what I can't stand is the half-baked implementation which has inevitably lead to jaw-dropping inconsistencies, then no real acknowledgement, and after months, no fix.

If it's a fundamental change to the way 'shift to constrain' works, do it properly and do it everywhere. Why would anyone think that changing something so fundamental on 1 tool, in 1 app, would be the way to go? 

The whole thing is mind-numbing corporate nonsense of their own making, we've all been in meetings where people in power make these kinds of silly decisions - right?

Just revert it until you can do it properly, it doesn't have to expose such obvious incompetence. Such a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree! Revert the behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be amazing if we could see more parity across Adobe applications.  Right now, I think Photoshop CC2019 and Premiere Pro are the only two applications that default to scale being constrained by default (unfortunately, Premiere Pro doesn't respond to using the Shift key at all - you have to go into the Effect Controls and turn it off).  Could you imagine the uproar if the behavior of the Shift key changed in Illustrator and InDesign and After Effects like it did in Photoshop?

Have you used the new Content-Aware Fill yet?  It's amazing.  Or noticed that we can finally do basic math in text fields?  (Talk about catching up with Ai, Id, and Ae.)

The transform issue has been acknowledged and there are a few workarounds (none of them ideal); however, that's been lost in that a new thread pops-up about it with very, very high frequency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two people responsible for this change:

1. Terry White
2. Scott Kelby

They should be petitioned to read this thread, and get through their heads how bothersome this change was, and for how many actual professionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea how to reach them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Social Media, their websites, ...
I would suggest starting with social media, and go from there. There are other forums who have posts regarding this insanely stupid change. There's one on Reddit...etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be amazing if we could see more parity across Adobe applications
That was one of the stated goals of the original CS suite, we've been waiting a LONG TIME for that! Some things have improved but the differences in the way apps accomplish the same tasks is huge.
Could you imagine the uproar if the behaviour of the Shift key changed in Illustrator and InDesign and After Effects like it did in Photoshop?
If you identify the 100s of places it needs changing, then actually change it in those places, then announce it and explain why and give people time (you know, roll it out properly) then you'd get a lot of grumbling, which passes.

But this is half-baked and creates anger-inducing inconstancies for pros because we spend our lives avoiding the same mistakes in behalf of our clients. At least take pride in knowing you did it right. I can't imagine breaking something so fundamental to a client's website or app, then fumbling the fall out. I'm sure you couldn't either - right?
 The transform issue has been acknowledged...
Let's be frank, it's was acknowledged about as well as it was announced! Hence "...no real acknowledgement". Somewhere on this 'Get Satisfaction' website, an Adobe employee said the change came about because some users were used to resizing windows in the same way - what does that even mean?
 ...and there are a few workarounds (none of them ideal)
First thing I did so I don't have to worry about this change (for now). But I do worry about what this change says about Adobe - what is going on over there? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that every time I've commented about an  PS, LR or Bridge issue on Twitter I've been told by Adobe people to post to this forum. It's just a way to kick the can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. But i think that is a ruse to get us OFF Twitter. They cant control the story on Twitter like they can here — or rather flat out ignore it like they do here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree — anywhere but on here. Or more to the point, everywhere and on here.

But if we only post on here they are going to ignore us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a link to one of the better comments from here on Twitter this morning and a rep responded immediately. It was an insufficient response but a response nonetheless.

The rep was completely out of touch with reality and lacked a general knowledge of  UX principles.

Here is a link to it:
https://twitter.com/AdobeCare/status/1103371716955385856

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Twitter

Terry White
@terrylwhite