• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Photoshop, what is going on? Are you intentionally trying to upset your loyal user base?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm literally losing the will to live ... So I opened photoshop this morning - now I don't even see handles with the move tool selected !!!

What the hell are you guys doing over there at Adobe ... 

Spent 45 minutes googling to see if any one else has had this - and I find the following:

"Switch to rgb and then back to cmyk and they appear"

Which insanely makes it work - but honestly that's the solution - like somehow making the software refresh itself - it's a joke ... 

Honestly your strapline of:

Creative Cloud for business - Everything your organization needs to do exceptional creative work.

should have the sentence ... in the most inefficient and unprofessional way we could think of ... 

added to it ...

Adobe you have honestly blown my mind with how poorly you firstly executed this and then managed the fall out from it - with still seemingly no solution in sight ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that always preserve the exact color of the original? I would not trust that if color is critical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mean to start a post about the transform controls disappearing unexpectedly, reapearing of the color mode is changed?

The issue will likely get proper attention of you start a new thread. Also be sure to include your OS, PS version and GPu infro.

While I ‘ve had plenty of unexpected things happen in PS over the decades, the Free Tranform controls have always been visible when expected. It’s defintaggrivating to have them not be there when you need them to be.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing to CMYK and then back to RGB is likely to result in reduced colors if using Image > Mode. An undo, of course, should return the document to the full RGB color gamut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in my post - (although not explicitly)  i'm going from being already in CMYK - then "switch to rgb and then back to cmyk" -  so i'm not losing any color honestly ... as the gamut expands in rgb then goes back to what it was before ... the other way around of course - would be an even bigger nightmare than it already is ... 

warren ... I put it here as it's all part of the same mess as far as I can see ... that whole control has been half-assed changed and it seems they don't really know what they are doing ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me, like it does to Warren, that this is likely a separate issue—the transform was a decision, while this is an issue of disappearing interface elements (maybe a refresh/video card issue?). It's not been reported extensively, while hatred for the decision has been. I know I've never had a problem with controls not showing up.

The main reason for you to post this separately,  I should think, would be to get attention for a new "symptom," if not an entirely unrelated bug. Along with your System Info, it should get their attention. Maybe what you're doing is forcing a redraw and there's an even simpler workaround they can find for you while waiting for a proper fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm pretty sure its not redraw - every other control works ... and if I fish around the artboard  off screen I finally get the cyan lines  for the extremities of the layer I pasted in which flick on and off  as i roll over them ... i'm on a new macbook - plenty of memory space and hard drive for cache ... and never had it before this debacle started either ... plus the file size was like 4mb max ... as it's a tiny lable artwork background ... 

I'll start a new thread - but its definitely related to this whole thing ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case there’s any confusion from the thread....
CMYK to RGB to CMYK should not result in any color shifts (narrower color gamut to wider color gamut to narrower)
RGB to CMYK to RGB is likely to see color shifts (wider color gamut to narrower to wider)

A reply mentioned possible color shift, so I was just chiming in one when it’s likely to happen.

Or course, this shouldn’t be necessary for showing PS user interface controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> i'm on a new macbook - plenty of memory space and hard drive for cache ... and never had it before this debacle started either ... plus the file size was like 4mb max ... as it's a tiny lable artwork background ... >

Most odd. I can't find anything other than Cmd-H that will hide Transform controls in a CMYK file. I'm on an older MBP running High Sierra. Mojave seems to be involved in a lot of oddities, but I also hear people saying that Adobe runs perfectly in Mojave on their machine. I hope they can find the problem quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The middle handle isn't working as before — how can I make a rectangular selection wider or higher?

Pulling the middle handle will now enlarge the selection, not change proportions.

Pressing command key will allow me to drag in one direction, but will not constrain the enlargement to a 0 degree direction.

Do you get it? I use this all the time in Photoshop, so what happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this one rhetorical? It makes the point about the now former behavior of holding the Shift key for constrain pretty well, actually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just wanted to make it clear that to me, this is the real problem in my workflow, not being able to use the middle handle as before. I'm actually not able to extend a selection to make it wider or higher. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I thought I tried the shift key but obviously didn't.... sorry for the waste of time guys, this works for me now 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally every post I've seen about this change talks about how much they hate it. Even when I get used to this change, Marquee tool and every other adobe program still has hold shift for proportional scaling. It disrupts everyone's workflow when they have to consciously switch back and forth when using different tools and programs. PLEASE just pick one set and stick with it for all programs and tools.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this going to be fixed or not?  I am going to roll back to a previous version I guess.  I have been using photoshop professionally for over 20 years... and I can not believe this was changed.  Keyboard shortcuts and fundamental things like how to resize objects are second nature. I have been fighting to relearn this stupid way of resizing objects since this version came out.  Here's a goofy thing too, when copying and pasting from illustrator, the first transformation still uses legacy shift constraining as you place the image.  wtf adobe?  you dont have to change something just to ensure i will continue paying for it. if it works LEAVE IT ALONE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Deon,

You've switched to the MENA composer and Middle Eastern text layout.  Check out my video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17gM33tB1Hw

The most likely way this happened, in case you didn't switch it yourself, is that you opened someone else's doc set this way and created a new type layer.  Because settings in PS are sticky, that new doc would then have the MENA layout.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe, Listen to your users!!!

By adding an option IN PREFERENCES (not a hack job of adding configuration files) to revert back to the legacy behavior, you are still able to proceed with whatever crazy ideas you have for transform, while giving us users the behavior we expect and the consistency we need!

This request isn't a crazy unheard of feature! You already have options for legacy behaviors for things like cropping.

This alone is holding me back from upgrading to version 20, and getting any of the useful upgrades that i'm paying for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone else confirm that the Legacy Transform Preference wasn't added to 20.0.4?

What was that one developer talking about 3 versions ago regarding a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe team, I understand why you may have wanted to change this. You got it wrong 20 years ago—defaults should have been that aspect ratios are constrained unless the user specifies otherwise by holding down a hotkey.

But it's TOO LATE now. Millions of people have been trained by countless hours in Photoshop that holding down the Shift key constrains proportions. And most others in the industry adopted this convention long ago, including other Adobe apps.

My co-workers and I have spent MONTHS trying to unlearn this muscle-memory in Photoshop, and still every other day I hear audible frustration as people get it wrong yet again. The decision to not apply it to all layer types just makes it even more rage-inducing.

Photoshop Team: No matter how much you are convinced that a UI decision was wrong and that it needs to be fixed, you CANNOT CHANGE ESTABLISHED RULES long after they've been established. And if you still feel the need to do so, it MUST be done in a way that can be changed in the user preferences. It's downright hostile and insulting to your users to make changes the way you did in this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will this be changed back.
This is driving me crazy.
It slows me down and pisses me off EVERY TIME. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So another months has gone by and still no reply or solution to this desaster ?
What is going on ? 
Jeffrey, this is what you wrote 3 !! Months ago:

Jeffrey Tranberry, Sr. Product Manager, Digital Imaging

• 15320 Posts
  •  
  •  2221 Reply Likes

Official Response

"Sorry. The improvements I mentioned in the official answer did not make it into the 20.0.2 update. I’m hoping they make it into the next update. I’ll update the thread when the change is available."

I am a full time retoucher, often on set so I see how everybody working profesionally  struggles with this and nobody updates or uses the older version.

What's the plan ?

Andi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2019 in whole and especially this issue really is a very sad story ... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE make a way to revert the scaling back to the way it has always been.  Those of us using Adobe products for years are accustomed to using shift for proportional scaling and not using shift for non-proportional scaling.  To force the change of working artists is cruel and unusual punishment.  If you believe this is a good change as a default that's fine...but we should have a simple box select option in preferences to change it back to the way we've always worked.  ESPECIALLY when other adobe products are still operating the old way.  This seems like a VERY obvious fix to an extremely disruptive change...does not have to be this difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may call today myself. This is ridiculous. I’ve just stumbled across several more bugs in the latest 2019. So with a combination of bugs and intentional “fixes”, 2019 is almost unusable. I’ve reinstalled 2018 for the time being, hoping there will be a raft of changes coming from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate