• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 500,000 users go back to cs6 for three months while cancelling their subscriptions will have a HUGE (approx $10mil per mth) impact on their bottom line - I bet we will have an update within the first three weeks with all the 2019 bugs fixed and within the next month all the years old issues attended to.

I am prepared to fire up cs6 tomorrow if neccessary. heck, I still even have cs5 32bit running on windows 7 for times when I need some old plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, they want us crying here together in a closed room so nobody takes a notice.

There are now many reviews out on many sites about the new CC2019 features. If you comment there in the open blogs, this reach many more people so there can read about, check it, an discuss about it.

Maybe Adobe would react slightly quicker than.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This drives me nuts.

It's like a car building the clutch in the middle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of these so-called smart filters etc don't seem to reliably or consistently perform as advertised, it's almost as if they're one-trick ponies that don't behave predictably outside the scripted demo that I've seen repeated verbatim at product launch demonstrations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the same yestarday, but those users had to still have CS6 (that I stil use only, thoug have buggy newest one). It is generally still the same Photoshop, we could live with. But I think that wouldn't be enohg as CS6 is at bottom of their Ps releases, so we are still stuck to CC program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is good to keep around as an emergency backup when you have problems with the primary app or maybe need some esoteric backwards compatibility. 

That's why I kept CC2018 when I was pushed into upgrading to CC2019. New software ALWAYS goes on probation. Damn good thing I did, too. Needed Adobe techs to root around and fix settings so I could open the new stuff in CC2018, but everything seems to be back to normal now that I am rid of CC2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you once again but why you for the next time create new post instead of answering in subtheard that answer should belong too? 🙂 Probably that's mistake but if intentional then okey 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep totally agree. It's change for the sake of change and has messed with every single user's muscle memory. Whoever decided this needs a long hard think about what they have done. 

terrible decision. Why not take all the other settings and make them do the complete opposite of what they've done for many years? Sounds like a great idea right!? Nope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there was not subscription payment model they would not play with us so easily 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree with you more. The amount of bandwidth being spent on this topic is stunning. Adobe would have tested, retested, confirmed and turned it inside out before making this kind of change without user input...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today elapsed exactly 2 weeks you started this theard. It gives over 3 users per day unliking Adobe decision. This two weeks more would be sufficient also to find by testers most shocking truth how badly it affects everyday work in Photoshop since even if someone may be fine with new way of free / proportional transform it exploited about six bugs you find reading just this one theard refered to only one over 20 years working well behaviour before last mistaken release!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change says so much about Adobe it’s not funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop professionally since Photoshop 2.
Most of the time, updates had value and few if any were just plain unnecessary.
Changing how a selected layer is constrained has no apparent value.
Did it bring value to something else in the program? Probably not!
Two weeks ago  David Tristram, an Adobe employee, wrote the following:
"new feature, use Shift to *un* constrain.  Constrain to fixed aspect is now on by default"
What he wrote could be easily interpreted as:
You guys are all stupid and I am the Photoshop God. Therefore, we made this change and you will have to get used to it!  
Just imagine how nice it would have been if he had written a great explanation as to why this change was made!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree with you Dennis. I would also like to know if the difference between scaling text layers, smart layers, shapes and regular layers were intentional. If so I would very much like to know the exact reason for this and what Adobe think it will help solving?!? 

To me, I still sit with a question mark above my head of exactly what Photoshop CC 2019 brought to the table  that has made it a better than it was. Multiple Undos - all ready there (just forced changed the shortcut on us). Uniform scale was all ready there (just forced changed the shortcut). Color wheel is nice but too little and too late - we all ready got way better plugins for that. and any optimizations made to the program, I really cannot notice, in fact for me everything is just slightly more laggy (layers in particular).  If the adobe team need ideas on where to continue the development they should announce that...or was this just a good way to save a few bucks this year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely hundreds of thousands. I spent ten minutes trying to scale an icon and searching the web until I figured out they reversed the behavior. It's like taking every Xbox controller and deciding that "reversed" is the new standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that we seem to have a "fix" for this ridiculousness Adobe has foisted upon us, maybe we can move on and actually get work done. Everyone who's still  complaining I urge you to do the PSUserConfig.txt fix listed below and move on. It fixes the crop tool too. Bonus. What I have NOT seen is any official acknowledgement on Adobe's part that they royally screwed this up. The ONLY thing I've seen from our esteemed product manager is to use a modifier key when pulling guides mid transform. If  I were in charge of the Ps division, whoever was responsible for this mess would have been gone yesterday. But if I were in charge, it never would have happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have made stupid, unnecessary, default changes to a lot of things in the past few years and every time gotten hammered for it. Its like someone just can't learn from their mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget the Crop Tool change in PS CS6.... that was a masterful screw-up if ever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nolan - Yeah, they screwed that up too, but at least they put a Use Legacy checkbox there that worked. Check that box and you're good to go. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so confident that Adobe would not ever make a change like this that I developed a method of creating a shadow if a layer like a person that could be quickly adjusted and placed anywhere you wanted. It is fast and beautiful.
I paid over $400.00 to have it made into a Photoshop Script.
It is dependent on being able to move the center point to an appropriate pivot position and use the top-center of the DISTORT box to move it where you want it.
At the time, I didn't make it for sale. I did give it to a few people and now, if I want to sell it or give it away, I need 2 sets of instructions so people that want to use with the new version of Photoshop. Even that would be OK if there had been a good reason for the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They say it's to make it uniform to iPad (or something I never had anything to do with) were are no shift keys, or they are something unusual. So becuase everything must be the same in scope of their produtcs they choose probably to make workstation versions work same as those shortly many people will use mostly, new young comers that are future target for Adobe. We can't do anything (however I don't like it) that the generation of old users remembering first releases or those at least from 6 - 7 years shortly is going to die and not be profitable for this company. It's even easier to play with kids for them by those new unfinished updates than with 'real' users as younger ones are going to adapt that somehow faster using their flexible brains and not complain as we do.

They act like Europe Union that introduces plenty of unthought and unresonable stupid changes to old as world good working natural regulations. Of course they know what they do. So no matter they have no logic answer for that - as far as they can say people what to do they are going to use it to 'enslave' them, rule the world and have more money, managing those they not belong to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(...)what Photoshop CC 2019 brought to the table  that has made it a better than it was.
New users are not aware of this stupidly made action. So answer is there's really nothing that could be reason to release new Photoshop that couldn't be next update to previous one. The only what is important user who looks for such product is more likely buy something that is fresh as that must be better. Will anyone take a time to investigate what's true? Probably more time people spend on learning new stuff with no experience of how that was earlier. An when such user is going finally to be familiar with something that is initially too hard to look at as a whole there will pass more years before they start to discredit anything, that when beeing able to recognise something has no sense in Adobe doings, like for example now some of another controversial updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind a good solution, just do the job with 'PSUserConfig.txt fix' and move on. Probelm is is we will be silent one day they even won't give alternative. But I agree with everything else in your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid over $400.00 to have it made into a Photoshop Script.
Photoshop develeopers make their scripts for all releses starting by CS6 EXTENDED. Why if there is subscription letting us upgrade to newest release, so not like in Creative Suite times everyone got different Photoshop still? Because people don't want to have latest 'FREE' version as there is not only new stuff but often old removed or changed the way they don't like anymore.

We talk here of too small amount of money. I assume milion dollars were involved into new Ps that it could look the way as it is now. So why inconvenient for users? Probably because Macintosh paid Adobe huge sum to favour their own devices. It will make high sale of Apple products becuase their iPads(?) will be recognised as best to work with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess they don't listen to. It's their product and we can use it the way it's provided or not. All since they have monopoly so they don't have to care how 'much' we like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate