• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can an application detect photos that's been photoshop even though the image is flatten?

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently accepted a job where I need to take pictures that is strict on no editing. I had this one case where the picture is a little blurry and I had to insert a signature through editing. Is there away to detect wether the photo has been edited?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this is good for you.

Forensicallyβeta 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's skillfully done there's no way to detect it in the pixel data.

However, it will leave a trace in metadata. If that company policy is on forensic level, don't do it. Even if you edit metadata, chances are you won't exactly replicate the "virgin state" of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to erase the metadata entirely? Does snipping the photo erase the metadata?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may do it manually in Photoshop. Create transparent document with same dimensaion & resolution (+ maybe same color profile) as original image and holding Alt, drag original layer (from Layers panel) to new document canvas. Resave it on the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ancestors metadata will record the paste operation. It won't be a "fresh" file. And in any case, the missing camera metadata will give it away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say paste but drag, you can try (also by duplicating the layer to new document).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kukurykus i tried and still got the full set of photoshop metadata fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do as I wrote and compare metadata in Br for 2 images, the exif data for 2nd is empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can u attach final image? (contents no matter, it may be crop 1x1 px)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used 2000 x 2992 x 300 photograph (.jpg). I cropped it to 1 x 1 x 1 and saved as Before.jpg. Then I created new document of same dimension and resolution and dragged the first one on to save the second as After.jpg.

I don't see any data by Bridge unless there is some other block of hidden code that keeps the same metadata, but not for user display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some of the metadata associated with the camera really disappeared, but photoshop still added its garbage

---- IFD0 ----
Orientation                     : Horizontal (normal)
X Resolution                    : 1
Y Resolution                    : 1
Resolution Unit                 : inches
Software                        : Adobe Photoshop 22.5 (Windows)
Modify Date                     : 2021:09:05 17:43:44
---- Photoshop ----
Slices Group Name               : Untitled-2
Num Slices                      : 1
Pixel Aspect Ratio              : 1
ICC Untagged                    : 1
IDs Base Value                  : 3
Photoshop Thumbnail             : (Binary data 535 bytes, use -b option to extract)
Has Real Merged Data            : Yes
Writer Name                     : Adobe Photoshop
Reader Name                     : Adobe Photoshop 2021
Photoshop Quality               : 12
Photoshop Format                : Standard
Progressive Scans               : 3 Scans
---- XMP-x ----
XMP Toolkit                     : Adobe XMP Core 7.0-c000 79.1357c9e, 2021/07/14-00:39:56
---- XMP-xmp ----
Creator Tool                    : Adobe Photoshop 22.5 (Windows)
Create Date                     : 2021:09:05 17:43:44+02:00
Metadata Date                   : 2021:09:05 17:43:44+02:00
Modify Date                     : 2021:09:05 17:43:44+02:00
---- XMP-photoshop ----
Color Mode                      : RGB
Document Ancestors              : adobe:docid:photoshop:64280e24-583b-5d43-96e5-91cfc417c3c0
---- XMP-dc ----
Format                          : image/jpeg
---- XMP-xmpMM ----
Instance ID                     : xmp.iid:1dba674f-1f6c-134a-8af8-345dc1c5a451
Document ID                     : xmp.did:1dba674f-1f6c-134a-8af8-345dc1c5a451
Original Document ID            : xmp.did:1dba674f-1f6c-134a-8af8-345dc1c5a451
History Action                  : created
History Instance ID             : xmp.iid:1dba674f-1f6c-134a-8af8-345dc1c5a451
History When                    : 2021:09:05 17:43:44+02:00
History Software Agent          : Adobe Photoshop 22.5 (Windows)

I don't think that if someone checks the author's files, he will limit himself only to the bridge;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find metadata in After.jpg taken from Before.jpg, or fresh one, created while saving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, it's extremely difficult to hide the fact of editing an image.

Yes, after.jpg does not contain the original file's metadata, but it does contain flags to indicate that the file has been edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After saving you can clear (without using Ps) the metadata created while last saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check tomorrow on this method.

On a related topic:

Script to remove all meta data from the photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can completely or partially delete individual blocks of metadata (as well as delete individual keys of the Software type in IFD0) using ExifTool by Phil Harvey.

However, even in this case, there can be problems - there are many time stamps and fields that change when you edit the image. The complete absence of metadata in one of the images can also lead to certain thoughts.

exiftool allows you to copy metadata between images. This function works very well, but some of the fields still change (primarily access timestamps). Perhaps this problem can be solved, I did not dig that deep.

exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile e:\_Output\source.jpg -exif:all e:\_Output\edited.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I recently accepted a job where I need to take pictures that is strict on no editing."

Remember that you are a novice and there will be forensic experts examining your image and metadata.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jane. I think the discussion should stop here. If the job description says don't edit, then any attempts to circumvent that is bordering on fraud. I don't think we should encourage this in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assisting with fraud is not something we should be doing on these forums. 

Tagging @Pete.Green and @J453 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaulto98d4wu9relu wrote:

I recently accepted a job where I need to take pictures that is strict on no editing.

If your job says don't edit, then don't edit. This is something that makes the newspapers when photographers get caught and then fired from their jobs. 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your job says don't edit, then don't edit.

By @jane-e

Yes, that's what it boils down to. End of discussion.

If you made an honest technical mistake when shooting, just say so. That always goes down much better than trying to cover up and then getting caught.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hard to believe that this question is being asked ! Someone is employed on a strict no editing basis and comes on an open forum asking about covering up an edit!

The bottom line is that altered metadata sets the amber light flashing at which point a forensic look at the image data is going to find the tell tales of an edit. 

After that, depending on the purpose of the image, both you and your employer could be in deep hot water. 

Don't start your employment like this.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it comes down to it, digital imaging forensic software/trained people will surely catch you out.

Even if you strip out metadata, it will likely be re-ordered or otherwise changed from the original, at least leading to a suspicion that something may have been changed.

If you save into JPEG, each program leaves an often unique "fingerprint" in the DCT which can be detected, so for those that know how to look, a JPEG saved directly from a camera is different to other cameras or software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, do you really think you should try to do something illegal in your job, then do additional steps to hide the fact that you did it?

Some structures that do not allow editing, permit it under the condition that it would be clearly disclosed, in metadata, in the image caption, and sometimes by an overlay clearly stating that the image has been edited...

There are entire industries dedicated to image forensics...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines