Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't render PNG image sequences in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

I'm an animator and I frequently export my work from photoshop as PNG image sequences because I need my animation exported with an alpha channel.  I've literally done this hundreds of times but for some reason now that option (as well as several other formats) are grayed out.  I already updated photoshop, restarted my computer, and my file is set to RBG mode with an 8 bit channel.  Anyone know how to fix this or why this might be happening?

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 5.39.28 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

There is a bug in Photoshop v19.0 and 19.0.1. Adobe have acknowledged it.

From a frame timeline - PNG image sequence is available but using it gives a Program Error.

From a video timeline PNG is greyed out.

See here :

Photoshop CC 2018: PNG Image Sequence Export Not Working | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

HI checkout todays release 19.1 r.238

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see if I have a Frame Animation I can render out a PNG sequence however if I convert that Frame Animation to a video TimeLine Png is grayed out like in your screen capture.  If you have a video timeline try converting it into s frame animation.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah that's interesting but I need to keep my animation layered in a video timeline so that it's still editable.  That's a good workaround, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in Photoshop v19.0 and 19.0.1. Adobe have acknowledged it.

From a frame timeline - PNG image sequence is available but using it gives a Program Error.

From a video timeline PNG is greyed out.

See here :

Photoshop CC 2018: PNG Image Sequence Export Not Working | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh okay- I just updated Photoshop last night to see if that would fix it but I didn't know about that.  The odd thing is that I haven't updated Photoshop in a few months and that feature was working on my computer recently so I'm not sure why that would suddenly change on it's own, but if Adobe has acknowledged it I guess that's probably it and I'll have to wait until they fix it.  That's a pretty devastating bug for animators but oh well.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems only to affect PNG so the alternative formats still work in the meantime.

If you need PNG you can re-install CC2017 alongside CC2018 and use that to render

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I installed 2018 and reinstalled 2017 which is a great temporary fix for that issue, but I didn't think about keeping both and just using 2017 for rendering.  Smart!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh weird- the PNG export feature is fine but I'm only now realizing that Photoshop can't read my file.  The whole screen is black and I can't see any of the layers.  Guess I have to go back to 2018 no matter what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im an Animator at Brand New School in NYC.  Im finding this same bug in the latest photoshop version..   Here is a plus one for this needing to be fixed by Adobe.  This will definitely hinder photoshop animators.. Its a biggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI checkout todays release 19.1 r.238

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it works with the new update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are still experiencing problem make sure your file is in RGB mode. This solved my issue with PS CC2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a different issue. The original post was due to a bug in PS2018 (v 19.0) and was resolved in v19.1

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines