• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not parse the file contents as a data set. The name 'background' is not a variable in the c...

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Could not parse the file contents as a data set. The name 'background' is not a variable in the current document." - when I tried to do variables

But it is there as you can see in the 4 pictures I attached. And yes, everything is spelled correctly everywhere.

I tried switching to UTF-16 but then it said it doesn't have enough data or something. I also tried every decoding to what but nothing worked...

So can somebody help please?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

To me it look like your CVS file is all wrong.  It has you template's layer names in the header columns  instead of  the variable names and the replacement rows  do not have three  file paths. Seem to be just file name file type no file path and drive.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-data-driven-graphics.html#define_variables 

image.png

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you're trying to use your layer named "background" as a variable name. Give the pixel replacement data a different variable name and set up your spreadsheet with the variable names in the top row. Then put the corresponding values in the rows below the variable names. See the example in the Data-driven Graphics section of my article on CreativePro's site:

Photoshop Automation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I did the exact same thing.

Also, I tried to remove the first column and the layer belonging to it and I got the same message with the current first column's name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a PSD and the CSV to go with that exhibits this problem so we can better troubleshoot? (link to CC files or dropbox)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I made an example csv and ps file for that.

(tested, and got the same issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it look like your CVS file is all wrong.  It has you template's layer names in the header columns  instead of  the variable names and the replacement rows  do not have three  file paths. Seem to be just file name file type no file path and drive.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-data-driven-graphics.html#define_variables 

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my god...

Yes, you're right. The funny thing is that I used variables in a couple of times before 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines