• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop and measure tools not working in Photoshop CS2 [was: directed here by adobe customer service]

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a chat with customer service about a 15 year old PSCS creative suite2 program i bought through a college book store. This is the full package - not just elements.

The crop tool became more andn  more erratic and is now not functioning at all. The measure tool is also starting to act up.

My question is can this be corrected by uninstalling and reinstalling via the cd's? I have installed the program on 2 computers. First one is my machine from 2005 with windows XP. Second is also an older machine with windows 7. Crop and measure tools on both are not working properly if at all.

If what I describe will work, what are the steps?

I have the original cd box and the liscense code in hand.

Any help appreciated.

david

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

update

It wasn't the cpu. It was a bad mouse. problem corrected

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You don't state which version of PSE that is installed on your machine, but in the older versions one can reset each tool via a little triangular icon on the tool's option bar, top left.

You can also reset preferences to default:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Mac: Option+Command+Shift) immediately after Photoshop Elements begins launching. Click Yes to delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements settings file.:

2. If you uninstall your old version, be sure to deactivate prior to uninstalling. Even these old versions are probaly capped for use on 2 machines, though I am not100% sure about this.

3. Probably the the most pragmatic course of action is to purchase the current version of the software to go along with a modern operating system.

Try the free 30-day day trial. If you like it, you may purchase it.

Download and install Photoshop Elements (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hatstead wrote:

2. If you uninstall your old version, be sure to deactivate prior to uninstalling.

@david17605409i3su 

David, please note that these instructions are for Photoshop Elements, not for Photoshop CS2. As Jeff said, Photoshop CS2 cannot be reinstalled as the activation servers were taken down several years ago.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not uninstall any creative suite 2 programs, since adobe has taken down the activations servers, you won't be able to reactivate your cs2.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

The best course of action is to go for the preference reset as suggested by hatstead

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Mac: Option+Command+Shift) immediately after Photoshop cs2 begins launching. Click Yes to delete the Adobe Photoshop settings file.:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the option mentioned above - didn't work.

One would think that a $1200 program would have continued support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have thought that, I don't think many would. Support continued for 5 years after release. Adobe expect customers to continue to buy upgrades (or, today, continue to subscribe), of which you've missed over 10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to get the dialog to reset the preferences?

pref.png

This photoshop cs2 your asking about?

Can you describe in more detail what is wrong with the crop and measure tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I got to that window and clicked yes.l

When trying to pull out the crop box with or without a set size no "marching ants" appear. this is my major problem. The measure tool skips spaces when being pulled out. this is a minor problem - don't really need that tool, it was just nice to  have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem solved. it wasn't the PS program but something is broken in my computer that is causing the tools to not function

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

update

It wasn't the cpu. It was a bad mouse. problem corrected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines