• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC won't edit pictures of money, and newspapers need to be able to

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at a newspaper. Sometimes the AP sends us photos with money in them that we want to use in our editions. Photoshop CC has an anti-counterfeiting routine in it that keeps it from opening these pictures. Can a "newspaper" plug-in be created that will let people who legitimately need to edit pictures of money do it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Work-arounds exist, if I remember correctly on a Mac one can open the files with Preview and save as either psd or tif – one of those would then open in Photoshop.

Check out this thread:

Photoshop: Why can't I open pictures of paper currency?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

@Happy Co , this thread was started in 2015, so your claim that this is a »new feature« in Photoshop seems nonsensical. 

Aside from that I think the issue was raised even earlier over on the now defunct feedback.photoshop.com because the feature has existed in Photoshop CS5 already. (Not sure if it existed even earlier.)

Please read this

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/cds.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work-arounds exist, if I remember correctly on a Mac one can open the files with Preview and save as either psd or tif – one of those would then open in Photoshop.

Check out this thread:

Photoshop: Why can't I open pictures of paper currency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it, because it would leave the newspaper and be in the hands of counterfeiters before the morning was over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this link:

currency editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are mistaken. I just took a shot of a 50 dollar bill by itself and with other object in the frame. PS CC 2015.1 opens RAW image fine and saves the RAW file as a TIF.

Trying to open the same images from the JPG I do get a warning but if there are any other object in the frame no such warning and the JPG opens fine.

So what is the exact reason for your post. If these AP photos have any other subjects, objects, in them PS will open them. It is only images of money itself and only JPGs that PS won't open.

P1000211.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happened to me twice. The first time, the picture was of a $10 bill being held with two hands, with the whole bill in the picture. That was about a week ago, and I was thinking "the whole bill is in frame, maybe it just can't see the hands."

Last night's picture had some other stuff in frame BUT only about a quarter of the bill was in frame. It wouldn't open that picture either. These things arrive as JPG, so "you can do it in Camera Raw" isn't much help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open a jpg in Camera raw... did you try that?

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sad, sad..... stuff like this is what created Napster and others. Babysitting controls should be removed immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sad, sad..... stuff like this is what created Napster and others. Babysitting controls should be removed immediately.

By @G.Abs

Have you read this page? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it with a $1 and a $20 -- no problems loading, resizing and printing (b&w).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good lord, why are there so many responses like this? just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people. this is obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The warning dialog that comes up when you open currency images has the link for information on how you can legally use currency images.

If you work with currency images, you should already know this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a fellow graphic designer.

I may have figured out a solution..

I took my PSD document and opened it up in Illustrator.
A popup window asks if you want to keep the layers or flattening it.

Click "Flatten the image" and it will open. I just printed a PDF and as well as exported it as a JPEG.

(Moderator's note: Crop your ad to the currency if you want to show your work. Advertising a business is not allowed in any of Adobe's forums.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMS is right!

Bring image to illustrator, open new photoshop canvas Paste image from AI file et voilá you are in your way to glory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Genius! 
I did put mine in illustrator  - saved as illustrator file - opened the file in photoshop - no issues. 

GENIUS! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem. Best workaround for me was to:

1. Place the image in Illustrator

2. Make a WHITE BOX over the money and place it on it's own layer

3. Export as a high-res layered rgb PSD file

Opens in Photoshop with no problems, turned off the white box and exported my flattened jpg. However, I had to keep a psd version of the image with the white box over the money turned on to be able to open it again. Still wouldn't open the flattened jpg with the full view of the money even after all that. Extremely annoying!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open it in PREVIEW on a Mac, and export as a PDF. Photoshop allowed me to use the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recognize why this is a big deal- money shouldn't be counterfeited, but the US Gov't allows artists to use images of money as long as it meets a few criteria, such as being single sided, and larger or smaller than the actual bill.  Youy would think Photoshop would have a way to allkow an artist to do what the government allows without jumping through so many hoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is massivly stupid. it's not photoshops business to babysit what people do with it. It's not adobe's business, either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, Adobe implemented Counterfeit Deterrence Technology in Photoshop nearly 20 years ago because they were asked to do so by the world's central banks. So it's been there for a couple of decades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been editing money in Photoshop for more than a couple of decades and have never had a problem opening money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear.

Which version of Photoshop? What kinds of images? Which currency or currencies do you edit? Got any examples you can post? What do you do with the images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines