Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 33 - The Phone Box

Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The red public telephone box is a common site throughout the UK although there are a few less of them now than at their peak.

Some folk have bought decommisioned boxes and , according to Wikipedia, the sale conditions include a clause that the buyer "shall not install, provide or operate any form of electronic communications apparatus (as defined in schedule 2 of the Telecommunications Act 1984) within the Goods." So old boxes have become used as garden sheds, artworks, libraries........ anything aside from a telephone.

With that in mind, this week, I bring you a rather tired looking phone box. Actually this one is a 3D model I created and rendered, loosely based on the "K2" phone box  introduced in London in 1926. What new lease of life and purpose will you give this phone box?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW33PhoneBox.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just beautiful, Dave—I do hope you get to do a Tech Wednesday on Blender!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane. I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with it.

Tricia has given the OK for a Tech Wednesday covering a workflow using Blender, Substance Painter and Photoshop so I just need to arrange a date, layer in the year,  with her.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Thanks Jane. I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with it.

Tricia has given the OK for a Tech Wednesday covering a workflow using Blender, Substance Painter and Photoshop so I just need to arrange a date, layer in the year,  with her.

Dave

I'm looking forward to hearing your Geordie accent.    An old buddy of mine had a strong Welsh accent, as did his son.  When the son joined the police, and moved to London, he apparently practiced for ages to adopt a posh BBC accent because he thought it would help his career.  So I hope you have stayed true to your roots Dave, because I am _so_ looking forward to hearing some 'oop north'. 

The first thing that occurred to me when seeing the phone box, is how well it would lend itself to Perspective Warp if it needed reshaping to fit a new environment.  It's off to a good start this week, with 11 posts before I got to see the new thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Great start for the weekend. This bodes well.

Jerry, coming from the UK I had to look up the reference to Logan's kiosk. Is it the airport self service kiosks that are maybe not going so well?

Rista, love the Superman idea. Has he got his shirt on inside-out though ?

Trevor - accent, what accent  

Pierre, Public toilets!  I hope no-one translates that idea into an image  

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Has he got his shirt on inside-out?" you ask.

That must be the way they write an S on Krypton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista12  wrote

"Has he got his shirt on inside-out?" you ask.

That must be the way they write an S on Krypton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Jerry, coming from the UK I had to look up the reference to Logan's kiosk. Is it the airport self service kiosks that are maybe not going so well?

Hi Dave -- It's supposed to be a take on the novel Logan's Run, set in the year 2116. They are waiting in line to go in, and they won't come out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doh !! Put that one down to me Jerry !!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a new use for it , but I'm a bit concerned about the leak.....

SFTW33PhoneBoxtank.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found another purpose -- should I be concerned about the leak too?

Outhouse33.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - Pierre (post 13 and 15) will be relieved

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

box1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retirement to a tropical beach, Derek - just the ticket. It looks a bit crowded in there though.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a good thing you put a phone in there, Dave—if it gets too crowded, you can ring for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I would do a two-for-one this time; simple AND obvious.

--OB

Mime A.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it OB. He's cleaned the windows with all those hand movements so that we can see him

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only 98 years to go

LogansKiosk.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week033.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew someone would get to Supeman before I had a chance to start! Rista, it is perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew unless I hurried up somebody would beat me to it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can easily see these booth's recuperated as public toilets. When you enter, it drop down into the sidewalk (it's also controlled via your smart phone). I think, superman used it that way. 😉

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

But years ago, I'v seen this in old Sydney (rounded john on the sidewalk). Of course in London, it should be square and vintage.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variation on a theme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is me....transported into the Phone Booth...in a Vineyard in Israel... wine was great~ Connection wit the phone was not so clear!

IMG_5797.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines