Exit

Video file not opening in Photoshop 2020

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, since updating to Photoshop 2020, I can't open a video file 😕

Getting an error messsage: 

Could not open “filename.mp4” because the video file could not be opened.

Getting on my nerves a little bit, updated to the lastest version, I am on Catalina 🙂 I have tried a few different other video files, same errror and can't seem to find a fix 😕

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

This happened to me. Restarting my Mac worked

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Solved!

Amazing that this was the problem. I had installed the Insta 360 software a few years ago, and have never even used PS to edit those files. Unreal, I'm honestly going to reach out to Insta to let them know about this issue.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Alright, 2 years have passed, but looks like updating my Mac to Monterey & Photoshop to Photoshop 2022 seems to have the glitch fixed 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 110 Replies 110
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, 2 years have passed, but looks like updating my Mac to Monterey & Photoshop to Photoshop 2022 seems to have the glitch fixed 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

surprising, since I'm updated as well, but there is still no option to import video without using Rosetta. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using photoshop 2022 in a new M1 iMac - BigSur 11.4 and suddenly the Photoshop stopped opening any video file.

I tried opening videos in different formats (mov, mp4) and even tried opening photoshop video files that I had worked on 2 months ago on the same machine. The message is saying that "can't recognize this type of file"

Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it?

If Adobe is trying to push people to migrate to Premiere, why not just remove the function from the app?

It doesn't make any sense....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I found out, that, if I open Photoshop 2022 (23.2.2) with Rosetta on my MacBook Pro M1 Max, the video import is working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works with opening Photoshop with Rosetta for me, but not when it is unchecked on my M1. Hopefully Adobe will fix in future update so Rosetta is not needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening with Rosetta works for me as well. Using an M1 Mac and haven't been able to open any video files in photoshop any other way without it. Hopefully they fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is persisting and annyoing! I am on macOS monterey 12.4 / PS 23.3.2 / M1 Chip

I can't open any form of video files anymore and I can't create a video timeline either, only "Frame Animation".

Sorry Adobe, but the amount of bugs in all of your products is just insane. I would switch in an instant if it weren't for your monopoly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening PS in Rosetta is a work around. So please fix your "supposedly" M1 ready software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding Photoshop to Folders Privacy settings solve the issue for me. Add Documents folder to list.Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 11.36.19 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help? Why can't I open video? I can open in other apps, I changed from .mov to .mp4 and same thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure the MP4 file uses AVC (H.264) codec and not other codecs like HEVC (H.265)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines