• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

icon covering layer masks

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really sure how to describe this problem.  I believe it is part of the latest Photoshop CC release for Mac.  I noticed today that all of my layer masks have a weird square icon with a circle in the center, in the preview.  It's covering up about 50% of the mask, so i cant tell which mask is which by lookign at them.  I'm not sure what this is supposed to indicate but it's really annoying and I am looking for a way to turn it off, so i can see my layer masks.  see screenshot below.

I'm running Photoshop 2024 25.1.0 release on Mac running Ventura 13.6.1

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 4.10.45 PM.png

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

@Primary22381017g6ii @StephenWebster this is an option in the panel menu in an upcoming release.

EDIT - version 25.2 has been released and the option can be found in the layers panel menu. By default it is now off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having updated to PS25.1 today, I see the layer mask icon has changed and there is now a mask icon bottom right of the mask icon. 

This means you have no quick check as to how your mask looks in entirety - you have to view it full screen. 

Which is a real nuisance. I wonder whether it was actually asked for, or whether someone just had a bright idea? Maybe they thought that no one knew what the layer mask icon meant?

Is there any way we can restore the legacy and much more useful plain mask icon which gave an adequte preview, or do we have to roll back to 25.0. (Which then disables auto updates!!!) There has to be a little folder of icons somewhere, where one can go and swap the old for the new. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@meyrickgj you'll either have to wait for a future update or downgrade to version 25.0, not sure why Adobe thought the icon was a good idea as it serves no purpose that I can see

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/layer-mask-icons-in-25-1/m-p/14189781

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it would be great if we could have a legacy option to turn this off. I'm also noticing some different behavior with masks since 25.1.0 and I am continuing to test them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this very disturbing that the layer mask is now partially blocked.  I am hoping there is a way to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @meyrickgj ,

Thnx for flagging.

Hopefully an oversight.

Best

mj

iMSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being unkind at all, but why add yet another preference that has to be read, slows startup and just adds bloat
It would appear to be an utterly useless addition: get rid of it in entirety. Just put it down as a bad idea.

Get Outlook for Android<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, no worries, I know you aren't being unkind. I would rather not have the icon at all, either. But if it must be there, setting a legacy preference is the next best thing. I once joked that we might be offered a legacy version of Photoshop to install one of these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 to remove this icon change. What is the point of it? It totally obsructs the view of the mask!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a terrible change! Creative cloud just updated itself and I find this change which breaks my workflow of many years. I can't believe it was implremented without a way to keep legacy behavior. +1 for a quick fix. Luckily I still have Photoshop 2023, but it looks like I need to uninstall 2024 since it sets itself as the default application. I hope we will be notified if/when this is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Along with rolling back to the previous version, you can also use the beta version that has an option to disable the layer mask badges, or, if you have the screen space, set thumbnails to large which makes the badges far less intrusive.  I am sure the option to turn off will be available real soon.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rachel.kleinman We're all adjusting to this - its an icon indicating a masked layer. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to disable at this time. Since this isn't really a bug - I can move this to the Ideas forum where if users can upvote a control, it may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure where someone got the brilliant idea to cover ½ of the mask preview with that….isn’t have the mask itself, enough to indicate it’s a masked layer??? My team are all reverting back to older versions of photoshop. It’s insane.

Thanks.

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes of information security, AI-powered support capabilities, and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy. Your privacy is important to us. Accenture uses your personal data only in compliance with data protection laws. For further information on how Accenture processes your personal data, please see our privacy statement at https://www.accenture.com/us-en/privacy-policy.
______________________________________________________________________________________

www.accenture.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please let the user turn this icon off - it is extremely annoying not being able to see which mask is which

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, this is a step back IMO and serves no purpose for people who know what a layer mask is. If someone is confused what that layer is just press the backspace key (\), the masked areas will show up. This 'new' badge is annoying, please Adobe make it a Preference to turn on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree; get rid of it or at least provide an option to do so and revert back to just a layer mask icon indicating the mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worse than that, I  can no longer paint on the mask; trying to do so invokes a new blank layer and applies paint to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree, don't see any use of adding this icon. I just hides a part of the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worse than that, I  can no longer paint on the mask; trying to do so invokes a new blank layer and applies paint to that.

By @TrikinDave

I'd be interested in what workflow is causing that to happen for you?

Can you describe the steps so we can test it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

111.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe- Stop "fixing" issues that were not broken. Please allow those of us who know it's a mask to see the mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Primary22381017g6ii @StephenWebster this is an option in the panel menu in an upcoming release.

EDIT - version 25.2 has been released and the option can be found in the layers panel menu. By default it is now off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Rachel. The mask badge is extremely annoying and distracting!!! I hope that there will be a fix very soon !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely obsolete function without any other purpose than stealing 1 hour from my morning at work after the old version magically dissappeared from my CC App and I had to install the current version only to then install an older version again. I would be very interested in an explanation by Adobe, somehow the requirements for commercial users seem to be irrelevant. This function has no purpose, it only slows Ps even more and makes my companies workflow impossible. Also looking forward to the 25th legacy option in the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelieveable, I wasted all morning trying to figure this out after I did the latet update. WHY MESS WITH SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT NEED TO BE MESSED WITH!

Votes

Translate

Translate