• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow customization/hiding of the splash screen

Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, put that in the preferences... It used to annoy me in the past... but now with the hideous CS6 splash screens it's simply a necessity.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 256 Replies 256
256 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the "About" trail for PS 2018 from the program to the About concerning the artwork/artists.

Apparently, this artist also provided the splash screen for the 2015 InDesign app. 

My guess is that Adobe may have paid for this artwork and as a consequence would be reluctant or perhaps even contractually restricted from either removing it or allowing customers to remove it.

That would be a shame. While the InDesign splash screen seems appropriate and non-controversial to me, the artwork for Photoshop 2018 is anything BUT non-controversial.

The subject seems to have been the victim of some type of tragic event or crisis. To me, the eyes are pleading for help -- which may be the artists' goal given the samples on the page for the artists.

Wouldn't most companies want non-controversial splash screens rather than something that is polarizing? Although the art may be, to some, an excellent piece of art (obviously not to others given the comments in this thread) I just don't think that it is appropriate to the usage as a splash screen.

You blew it, Adobe. Admit your mistake, pay off the artist's commission, and allow for the elimination and/or replacement of this art for your splash screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a pity…

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can bring this up for discussion here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Unfortunately can't say how long that will take if at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To disable the CC 2018 splash screen just add this switch to the target path of your Adobe CC shortcut

"-NoSplash"

Ex : "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Photoshop.exe" -NoSplash

Note there is a space before the switch but none within it.

AFAIK this has always worked for each new PS release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, Gaz, thank you! This splash don't bothers me but Photoshop starts then faster. Small addition for those who are unfamiliar with params for exe file - on windows, if we have link to file at desktop - open properties of link to Photoshop and add as Gaz sad  -NoSplash to the path.
If you have Win10 and link to Photoshop is pinned to task bar - unpin it, start Photoshop from the link at desktop with param, and then pin it to the task bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. I doubt this will ever be addressed by a preference setting. They need to remove the image.
RONC

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version of Windows 10 (Version 1709).
I have a link to Photoshop pinned to my taskbar. I did not have to unpin it to get this addition to work. I simply modified the properties of the photoshop link that was on the taskbar.

There is an interesting side benefit to disabling the splash screen: Photoshop no longer forces its way to the front but instead will load in the background like every well-behaved app should load.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Lightroom. The no splash switch seems to work in Lightroom as well, but it still forces its way to the front and refuses to load in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening, Gaz. Thank you for you tip. I'm running on mac. Should you say me how I can do to remove the image ?
Thank you by forehand,

Koenraad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has a setting in Preferences > General to toggle "show splashscreen during startup" which does the job nicely.

As for Photoshop not showing anything at all during the load... I prefer a program to show something as it is loading, as LR does even without the splash screen, so that I can see I activated the program. Having Photoshop show nothing during the load is kind of weird as I have to wait many seconds before I know whether or not my click worked.

I'd prefer the ability to simply choose another image or the standard icon, but Many Thanks, Gaz, for this shortcut solution.  NoSplash is better than the nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aghh. Spoke too soon. If I start Photoshop from Lightroom, LR of course does not seek out the shortcut with the NoSplash option so I get the ugly splash image. I will have to remember to start Photoshop from the link before calling it from Lightroom.

Please, Adobe, give Photoshop a simple NoSplash toggle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please disable or permit us to disable the terrible splash screen art on startup. I thought the last several "clip-art ads" were awful. The new 2018 "ad art" is intolerable! I detest being forced to view this every time I start a Photoshop session!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is truly vile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have shipped Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 with a surprisingly unattractive splash screen image. Perhaps your criteria need to be revised. I can understand if you want an image which shows off a number of attractive features of Photoshop, but the image itself should not be ghastly. Surely an accomplished organization like yours can do better. I'd be happy to provide one of my own images if you like www.kennethmorrislee.com. Thanks for listening !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I being forced to look at splash screens that are totally not to my liking? You'd think Adobe would have realized that the designers who use their products are opinionated about how things look... I have no desire to deface the splash screen, but I wish I could at least put something in there that's tasteful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feedback : Displaying a custom user made splash screen for all the Adobe CC 2015 applications is not giving me a professional image of Adobe. The user should be able to decide if they want to see this splash sreen on the loading of the application. Sorry but everybody doesn't like the pictures you picked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah the new PS 2018 splash screen must be pretty hideous. This feedback has had a lot of activity in the last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"-NoSplash" is a Windows-only solution. There doesn't seem to be a corresponding startup argument for MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kenneth,
Since you are publicly critiquing someone else's work, I hope you won't mind an observation of your own work. 

In my opinion, you could learn a thing or two from the graphic designer Janusz Jurek and photographer Elizaveta Porodina, both of which have very well rounded portfolios.

Incredible work, including the splash screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe glance down at your phone as your software loads so as not to be affected by alternative aesthetics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people don't have anything more important to do. Lack of work, probably.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen - Thank you for your suggestions.

I should have been courteous. I should have qualified my remarks (as you did) with  "in my opinion".   I forgot that art is a matter of personal taste.  Fortunately we are all different. 

Given another chance, I would have simply asked that there be a way to either override the splash screen with an image of our own choice,  or disable it altogether.  

Best wishes,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a convenient solution but if you launch the application from the MacOS Terminal, you can specify a startup argument of  --hide. This will launch the application without the splash screen and the application will remain minimized on the Dock. It comes up pretty fast this way.  To do this, you have to first navigate to the Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018/ directory, or the corresponding directory on your computer.

open -a  "Adobe Photoshop CC 2018.app" --hide

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also object to the advertising component in all of this. Next to each splash screen illustration, is a link to each artist's work, which can usually be purchased as "Stock" clip-art through Adobe's CC App. I get enough unwanted advertising shoved at me already. I pay for all of it one way or another, but I don't believe that this incessant marketing of spam every time I use a product  I've already paid for, is fair.

I also notice that some who disagree, characterize us as having nothing "more important to do." Good for them that they are so busy, they can't take the time to point this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind the link to the artist's work. I'm happy to read the name, happy they got the exposure, and perhaps would like to follow the artist. That said, if someone from Adobe wanted to spend a lunch hour designing the splash screen so the image was a component we could swap out, that would be fun. Art is, after all, very subjective, and my taste doesn't always thrill to someone else's choice.

But I wouldn't consider this important enough to take away from the needs of the rest of the app.  More a "for fun JDI" if someone at Adobe feels like it—perhaps bored on a Friday night.  '-}

As for the marketing angle—this one doesn't bother me, but the CC App always opening to Stock does. I like access to Stock in my CC Libraries, not in the CC App. I expect that complaint is falling on deaf ears, though, if it's proving at all profitable to keep it the default opening screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate