• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lazy Mouse (Brush stroke smoothing)

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lazy mouse feature in PS would be great. (like the one in Zbrush)

There is an external program called Lazy Nezumi, but this only 'works' on PC, & not on Mac (sadface)

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
Photoshop CC now supports brush smoothing. Details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
68 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this out! Hej Stylus! a Lazy Nezumi equivalent for Mac, coming very soon! http://hejstylus.com, thanks to Eilert Janßen and to Patrick Deen (maker of the awesome Animators Toolbar add-on for Photoshop) for letting me know about it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news. Thanks for sharing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try this this weekend. If this works, it will be awesome 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no trial though. I would like to see how it works and if I like it before unloading 12 euros on it.there are various types of stabilization, Im not so sure I like the type this software uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, but this feature is important to me, so I'm willing to risk it. I'll share my experience if you like 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that'd be great, thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I picked up a surface Pro 4 back in December and have been using lazy mouse with it. I wish they made it four Macintosh too since that is my primary workstation. I cannot say enough good things about the software is hard to believe that it's an ad on. Adobe should give him a bunch of million dollars and built it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested this rather quickly last night and it works as advertised. The lines I get are much smoother, especially the longer lines that are drawn slowly. This is a huge benefit I think, because my strokes look really bad normally when I go slow. This gives me more accuracy. There is however, some more lag, and much less responsive when I draw smaller lines like small circles. Then I have to go REALLY slow to let the calculation catch up. My computer is not super-powerful, and the image I tested on had a high resolution (3400 px X 3400 px). I suppose there will be less lag with a more powerful computer or a smaller image, but I haven't tested this.

There are 4 (or 5, I can't remember) standard settings and a slider which control how much smoothing is being calculated. I found it work best at the 250-setting. Disabling the smoothing requires a left-click on the symbol in Finders menu-bar, so it's really easy toggling between on/off smoothing.

An annoying bug is that the brush-size slider (and keyboard shortcut with alt+ctrl and clicking/dragging) doesn't work properly when Hej stylus is activated. I had to manually type in brush-size or click on the slider to change size. I did get the keyboard shortcut to work, but it jumps around a bit. This is my biggest gripe with this (at least so far). But doing line-work that's supposed to look like ink, I don't really change the brush size that often, I do that a lot more when painting.

Of course I can't say if this is something that will be used in the long run, and I definitely need to test this on some proper artwork before I can sing it's praises. But these are my "right out of the box"-experiences 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Catherine, thanks for reviewing Hej Stylus! Your comments are noted and I'll put it on the future features list. I also see what I can do about a demo. @bridgette: I can give you a refund if you don't like it. 😉 Cheers, Eilert

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's wise, I think more people would consider your program if they had a chance to test it first 🙂 And this is something we've all missed, so I'm really looking forward to using this in future artwork. Good job - and thank you! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know - but I liked the idea of making this public as soon as possible. Niceties vs. Necessaries - some fancy things had to fall- but they aren't off the table. Hej Stylus! is 1 day out now. I'm looking forward hearing your feedback. Everybody approaches his/her work differently - share your thoughts - or drop me a line. Cheers, E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej Stylus! works pretty amazing i must say. It might not have all the settings as lazy nitsumi, but after testing it, i must say, that this is the holy grail for all mac photoshop illustrators!
i am SUPERHAPPY: Eilert made my day.
And the pricing for the brushes on top are supercool: i just bought them all:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A stroke stabilizer is built into just about any other bitmap drawing and painting software I am aware of:
- Krita
- Sai
- ClipStudio
- Photoline
- OpenToonz
- AZDrawing
- MyPaint
- Gimp
- AD Sketch

And so on. Photoshop is most conspicuously missing in this list, and users have been asking for years and years for such as feature.

Well, there are two plugins now that "fix" this. But it should really be part of Photoshop's brush engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to have a "Smoothing" option to auto-correct brush strokes. I use the Lazy Nezumi extension, but it's only for PC and I primarily use Mac. Manga Studio has smoothing and think it would be a great feature for Photoshop. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A stabilizer? or a Fade out tool? Gimp has this tool where no matter how crazy you draw your lines they always "fade out" or have resistance so the lines wont look super scribbly and creates nice smooth line. I would LOVE for that too to be in photoshop. If it's not already. Paint tool sai has something similar where it creates nice smooth lines especially helpful for those with unsteady hands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that photoshop brush option there is smoothing, but it doesnt seem like it really even does anything noticeable. Why not make use of that option and expand it. Give the user the option to auto smooth they're strokes like you can in flash. You can make a slider that chooses how much smoothness and how little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see a stabilizer feature for the Brush tool added. Let's make this happen for an update! Please!!!
I'm a illustrator who jumps back and forth from Photoshop and illustrator. Having a stabilizer for the brush tool would be fantastic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Photoshop CC now supports brush smoothing. Details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate