• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please support PixelBender in CS6/CC

LEGEND ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why pn earth would Adobe drop this hugely successful and uniqe set of plug-ins/filters! I know a lot of people are very unhappy about this. I really hope Adobe changes its mind and comes out with an upgrade/patch to fix this problem.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Photoshop no longer supports Pixel Bender.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013
FYI - Legacy downloads for the Pixel Bender plug-in that are compatible with Photoshop CS4, Photoshop CS5 (12.0) and Photoshop CS5 (12.1) have been relocated from Adobe Labs and consolidated here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pixelbend...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012
Thank you all for your interest in and enthusiasm for Pixel Bender. Pixel Bender has been offered in the past on Adobe Labs as a technology preview. As of CS6, we're no longer providing Pixel Bender as a Labs technology. Photoshop CS6 has taken the Pixel Bender filter most popular with customers, Oil Paint, and turned it into an official feature in CS6. Photoshop CS6 no longer supports Pixel Bender for 3rd party development.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 211 Replies 211
211 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, you got me: that's an estimate for someone familiar with writing code.

(in college, it took me less than half an hour, and that included reading the documentation)

Since he mentioned scripting and Java, I assumed he was somewhat familiar with programming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then there are those of us who loved PB that know nothing about code and programming...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with skills in Scripting, Java or even C++ Programming the SDK is quite challenging. And when you have made it to a working formula you are coped with the problem of building a gui for your parameters. All this was very very well done in the Pixelbender Plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we hold photoshop accountable. It was something developed by a photoshop team and offered by photoshop on a photoshop site for a photoshop product. To say that it was never part of photoshop is silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this goes against the "corporate" mindset, but would Adobe ever consider releasing pixel bender to the Open Source world? I could then be further developed as a Plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it was not developed by the Photoshop team. PixelBender was developed by another team inside Adobe, separate from the Photoshop team.

It was never part of Photoshop, only offered by the other team on the labs site as a technology demonstration/test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no alternative for the droste fx!
:-(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can the droste effect be otherwise be added to CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the oil paint effect in CS6 does not work the same, why is that? i cant get the same look as in Pixel Bender. By the way everyone, just keep CS5 installed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first time in my memory - and I've been using Photoshop since version 3 - where I have felt it necessary to keep the old version of the software installed.
And yes, Robert Kirkwood is correct - the implementation of the Oil Paint filter in CS 6 is not the same as the version in Pixel Bender, and it is not possible to get the same subtle look you can with that older filter using the new one. Someone at Adobe actually got paid for producing this port of the filter, which is the real joke in all this. It's actually a kind of genius to make money by making the product worse. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you should be a government lawyer. It was developed by Adobe employees and posted, presumably with Adobe permission, on the photoshop website. Seems like Adobe made the decision and now you just can't say it's not ours but it seems Adobe said it is an Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see Pixel Bender continued, too, but for all I can tell you make a plainly and simply false claim, David Schreier.
As far as I can remember Pixel Bender was posted on the Adobe Labs website, not the Photoshop website.
The distinction is relevant even if it should be lost on you.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/pi...
A quote:
»This release of the Pixel Bender Plug-in for Photoshop CS5 is a technology preview. You can find the full release notes in the Read Me within the download package.«

And I wonder if you consider »government« and »lawyer« derogatory terms that are supposed to reinforce one another ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only discovered Pixelbender within the last six months. i have recently upgraded from Photoshop 7(!) to CS6 and discover this is not available to me with the latest version. This is just WRONG!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After following this topic for a few months now, months before it even landed in this forum, It seems to me that unequivocally, everyone who used pixel bender absolutely loves the darn thing.. contradicting the original Adobe reply that "there wasn't enough interest:.

It's nice to see an active discussion here, but it seems more and more that there just isn't anything that anyone can do.. and that just plain sucks for everyone.

Bye Pixel Bender.. Goodbye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that Matlab can be quite expensive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matlab: very expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I can't say I used PixelBender a lot, it was a great thing to play around with to get new creative ideas. It's a disservice to drop support for it. Please reconsider and make a version available to us CS6/Creative Cloud subscribers. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone tried the Pixel Bender Toolkit? Looks like it is a freestanding Pixel Bender.
Any significant differences from the Photoshop version?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pixelbend...

I had not used the original PS 4 or 5 version, so I can't judge it, but it seems to run a bunch of the PB filters on the Exchange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a code developer's kit for people who want to write their own plug-ins. Could be interesting, but I don't have time for that. Also, it's not clear whether this is CS6 ready either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't work with CS6, but it will load filters that are already created and run them on images that you load into it as a stand-a-lone program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a copy of Photoshop CS6 to understand the technology behind Imaging and Photography. I tried writing Photoshop plugins but you have to stand on your head to get them working with Xcode 4.3 (which is what we all should use and not Xcode 4.5 which we all will use next month). Writing Photoshop plugins is not for the faint hearted. The Dissolve Plugin sample does not compile out of the box unless you make some changes to the source basically commenting out header files.
I got experimenting with Pixel Bender and was extremely pleased at how easy it is to create filters. Then I learnt that I cannot use it under CS6.
I see no reason why Adobe cannot support Pixel Bender as just from the training perspective it is the best tool I have found so far to write Pixel Benders.
My question is what is the next best choice for writing Pixel Filters from the perspective of understanding digital imaging and photography.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2012 Jul 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree, make it happen. People love it
-Kerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the droste effect plugin be installed and used on photoshop cs6? it requires the pixle bender plugin but adobe no longer supports this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please disdiscontinue it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,