• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2019 – Color Blend Mode Buggy

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the new CC versions and opened the file I last worked on in Photoshop 2019. I was surprised to see a severe color shift on the paper in the center:

768px Swing White Heat.png

This is how the file looks when opened in Photoshop 2018:

MBSW-White-Heat.jpg

The image of the paper has a color blend mode of a sand color, but appears greenish!

color blend mode.jpg

The background layer is just a solid rectangle. When color blend mode is chosen it becomes greenish and there is a stripe in the paper.

color blend mode solid.jpg

The file still is displayed correctly when opened in Photoshop 2018!

What can cause that issue? Bug?

Marcus

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Can you go to Preferences and check 'use legacy compositing' and try it again

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, im having the exact same issue, when i use and adjustment layer with solid color and use with the layer blending mode "color" it becomes almost unsaturated dark purple, which didn't happened before the update. Below the example, it was supposed to be bright

red:

(i need this fixed asap, its affecting my work...)

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > …

davescm , have you seen documentation on what the difference between legacy and non-legacy compositing is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not seen specific documentation. The option to use Legacy Compositing suggests there have been changes to the compositing "engine".

Ged - thanks - could you add that to the bug report I linked please

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure will do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely gone a bit loopy

It's quite easy to break, even just using 8 bit RGB documents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm back in the office now and can reproduce the issue. I can also confirm that Use Legacy Compositing resolves it.

I've raised a bug report here , to which you can add comments

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/color-blend-mode-broken-photoshop-cc2019-r24

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I got after playing around with the color modes, I noticed that changing the blend modes on the fly wasn't updating on the document either and Zooming in and out doesn't seem to work.

I was able to replicate the crash quite easily

It's actually quite easy to break, Zoomed in @ 12800% document does not zoom in and to go Image size and you get this + a crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for the quick reply. I tried and turned on "legacy compositing" and it fixed the problem, now the red appears red with the "color" blending mode (see below).

Now for curiosity will this be fixed with a future patch? And what legacy compositing does exactly? Will it affect other tools or effects? Thank you

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pedrol97482746  wrote

will this be fixed with a future patch? And what legacy compositing does exactly?

That's what we would all like to know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are Photoshop users the same as you - so cannot guarantee a fix. However experience shows that these things do get fixed particularly when they are at the core of functionality like this one.

Anything you add to the bug report will help get it noticed and show that it is a common issue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave!

As can be seen in this comparison between legacy mode and 2019 mode the problem is not only the wrong color, but also the stripe with no color that is created. Something is really off.

Legacy-2019 Blend Mode.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, it's found in Preferences / Performance and the section titled "Options" and the checkbox is titled "Legacy Compositing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was struggling to find the setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color Blend mode now works correctly, with the new compositing engine i.e. legacy compositing unchecked,  in CC v20.0.1 released today

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU MAN!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue in some blend modes where random squares are introduced (see red in image), and I had photoshop hang on me and get really slow in select and mask mode. Legacy mode seems to have fixed the blend mode issue, dont know about select and mask lagging though. Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 8.54.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That last one looks like a video driver issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't have that issue in the latest 2018 photoshop, and as I mentioned, it went away with legacy compositing on. IDK if its helpful, but these are my computer specs:

Macbook Air 13 inch early 2015

1.6ghz intel core i5

Memory 8gb 1600mhz ddr3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536mb

Edit: Operating System: High Sierra 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate the issue on both my work PC AMD GPU and home PC with Nvidia GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Surface Pro LTE 2018 and a Asus i7 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti. Both Win 10 17134.

I can reproduce the issue on both machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both CC 2018 and CC 2019 installed on my Windows 10 System and the adjustment with solid colour using the 'Color' blend mode works correctly in CC 2018 but not in CC 2019.

Blending a red or cyan adjustment layer in blend mode 'Color' produces a grey monochrome effect on the image below. Blending adjustment layers in other colours in 'Color' blend mode produces weird colours.

I've followed some threads here and have enabled Legacy Compositing and that has rectified the problem in CC 2019. Why though?

I don't understand the first thing about Photoshop's compositing engine and why CC 2019 is different so would appreciate it if someone could explain.

What is the difference between the legacy and non-legacy compositing?

Here's my OS specs

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Version 1803

OS build 17134.345

(10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

DirectX version: 12.0

GPU processor: GeForce GTX 970

Driver version: 372.70

Direct3D API version: 12

Direct3D feature level: 12_1

CUDA Cores: 1664

Core clock: 1215 MHz

Memory data rate: 7010 MHz

Memory interface: 256-bit

Memory bandwidth: 224.32 GB/s

Total available graphics memory: 20409 MB

Dedicated video memory: 4096 MB GDDR5

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 16313 MB

Video BIOS version: 84.04.36.00.71

IRQ: Not used

Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3

Device ID: 10DE 13C2 29783842

Part Number: G401 0010

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between the legacy and non-legacy compositing?

A valid question and something Adobe has not offered a lot of information (or any) on … (Edit: or at least I failed to find that information so far.)

Do all the affected parties work on Windows, though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The compositor crunches layer data for screen display, and there is a LOT of performance upside to upgrading it. The differences between Legacy on or off are too numerous to mention, but you are not losing out a bit if you find it necessary to use the Legacy option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines