• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FIXED issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4

Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in 23.5 which is now available.  Please update to get the fix.

We are aware of an issue in Premiere Pro version 23.4: when transcribed clips in a timeline are taken offline and relinked, clips shift and reset to the first frame. Effects, transitions, and speed changes can also be removed or impacted.  Our engineers understand the problem well, and we are testing fixes internally right now.  We have put a fix into Public Beta and will get the fix into an official release ASAP.  I will update this post with more details as soon as I learn them.

If you are experiencing this problem:

If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.

Workaround #1 – Restore media

1. Put the media back in its original location so no relinking is required.

* There are many cases where this is not possible; try one of the following:

Workaround #2 – Beta

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and ensure the sequence looks correct.
  3. You may choose to just work in Beta –or– save and open in 23.4

Workaround #3 – XML

1. Export XML (File > Export > Final Cut Pro XML) from the original system that has properly connected media.
  2. Import the XML into a new project on the new system and reconnect the media

* Please take note – not all aspects of the sequence will be reproduced by the XML

Workaround #4 – revert to Premiere Pro 23.3

1. Open Creative Cloud Desktop app
  2. Click on All Apps
  3. Find Premiere Pro
  4. From the three dots on the right, choose “Other versions”
  5. Choose 23.3
Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hello, 
This issue is fixed in Premiere Pro v23.5, which will be available the week of June 17. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 214 Replies 214
214 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: We went back to 23.3, which fixes the issue for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To echo what edwin said -- this kinda stuff is hair-pulling and Adobe really should focus on function above all else because this issue made me miss a deadline.  And I'm a loyal Adobe/Premiere user - since the early, early days.  But the BETA install does solve the issue.  Thank goodness.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beta did work I just had to go deep back in my auto saves and redo some work. Really unacceptable Adobe, think this might be the final push to Resolve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beta or downgrade to 23.3 will work. But only with a 'not infected' auto save for the project.

I work in a Premiere Production workflow, with over 500 hours of footage and 100+ hours of archive footage. This is spread over 20+ projects and countless sequences. It's unacceptable when such a bug creeps in and damages your project and thus the overall production on tilt. A swift permanent solution is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm also using PPro 23.4. I checked it on my surface pro (Win11) and on my macbook pro with intel chip on macOS Ventura 13.2.1.

I have multiple projects with this now and also need help urgently.

Thanks and best regards

Musicpham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully you didnt save a project in that state. There is a problem  with v23.4, check out this thread.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/known-issue-text-based-editing-clips-reset-to-first...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how else to phrase this... I had an interview edited and completed on a spinning hard drive. It was really, really slow to edit and export so I got an M2 SSD and moved the whole project folder to the new drive, verified it moved, and deleted the old one. The client wanted a change to the interview, so I opened the file, it recognized the new location for the media... and everything is broken. I still have all of the clips laid out and cut up, but when I play it it is just repeating the same section of the file over and over. I've cut up one big interview clip and used b-roll to splice different segments of the interveiw together, but when it goes to the next 'splice' it just repeats the very beginning of the original file. 

What happened? I cleared the cache and nothing happened. I have never had this happen to me before. Beyond that, some of the clips have completely different color correction now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The proper way to transfer the project is  with Project Manager. If it's not too late I'd try again while working with Project Manager, while working with the previous project, and see if you have better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah unfortunately it is too late. I’ve moved project folders hundreds of times like this and never ran into this I'm just baffled. This is the first even hearing of project manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using 23.4? If so it's proably be realted to this bug https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/known-issue-text-based-editing-clips-reset-to-first...

I also move my projects like you do and have never had a problem either so I'm thinking it was that relink bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RyanSalyer123,

As @James5FC9 links to below, it is almost certainly this bug in 23.4.0:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/known-issue-text-based-editing-clips-reset-to-first...

(Your post has been moved to that thread.)

This is fixed in the Beta. A fix will probably be in the next release update, but we don't know when that will be. Hopefully soon, but in the meantime, you need to keep working.

Once you relinked and saved the project, that project file was messed up. You cannot use that file anymore.

To use workaround #1, copy the files from the SSD back to the original location (keep them on the SSD also, and see below).

Make a copy of your most recent autosave/backup file from before the relink. In this type of situation, I always keep an extra backup copy of everything. Open it on the old drive. If it works, just suffer through the slow work!

Variation on #1: redesignate the drive letters and make sure the SSD uses the same path as the original. That may not be possible if it is your C drive. But if it is, try opening the backup project there. This might work. If so, you can finish the project on the new drive.

If neither of those work, see workarounds #2, 3, and 4.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lost an entire day to this re-syncing a bunch of social ads I was cutting that were on a tight deadline. Didn't have time to troubleshoot this far. This isn't even a bug. This ruins your entire timeline. Insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

通常通りカット編集をして保存して閉じた後、再作業のためにプロジェクトを開くとカットポイントから素材の動画が全て頭出しになります。音声は問題なく、ビデオのみ。

保存する前に作業している段階ではそのような異常はないのですが、一度終了してまた開くとこのような状態になっていることがあります。ちなみにオートセーブしているものも全て同じ状態なので、せっかく編集したものが使い物になりません。

現状、ビデオ以外の編集はちゃんと保持されているので未編集の素材に入れ替えてテロップに合わせるなどして再度カット編集しています。

このバグは大変困るので早急に対応をお願いしたいです。応急的な対策でもいいので提示していただければと思います。よろしくお願いいたします。

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is on the current "known issues" list ... and yea, it's a pain for those it hits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then, what do you do? I tried beta, and it didn't solve the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had you saved the project with all the scrambled timecodes? It doesn't undo that. Try an autosave version if that is the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out while installing beta on Windows, but it doesn't support gtx980.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so very done with Adobe. I mean this is disasterous and there still is no fix...  

[profanity removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry it's not fixed. infact you need to open an autosave version that hasn't touched 23.4. so really you end up loosing work. now.. ask me if i opened autosave versions when this problem first appeared. baking in the error into all my autosaves.... THIS IS A MASSIVE PROBLEM. and a MASSIVE let down for a full time editor. Can adobe explain this issue to my boss? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NONE OF THESE SOLUTIONS WORKED. What do we do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't even using text-based editing. I just moved a project to a new drive, and the SAME disaster happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What were you able to do? I had to trick the computer and move everything back to its original drive. Only thing that has worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please advise where to locate the download for public beta 23.6 build 02.

I don't see an option in the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy workaround. Found & downloaded the Beta on PC - didn't work.

Installed 23.3 on PC - didn't work. Installed on the 23.3 on Mac and it worked.

Moving that same project to PC/23.3- became unsynched again. 

Went back to Mac/23.3, exported XML, imported into PC/23.3 and it worked.

Insane. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randy, thanks for reporting what worked for you.

My understanding is that once the project is opened in 23.4 and SAVED, it will remain unsynced with any of the workarounds. Were you using a "bad" file and the xml worked? Or was it a file that had no been relinked?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate