Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Frame substitution attempt aborting error - .MXF Files Fixed in version 25

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 10-14-24:  

MXF file frame substitution errors has been fixed in version 25 of Premiere Pro 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen a number of posts about this, and am now running into the problem myself. Although there are a few differences I'd like to share that I'm hoping may shed more light on what appears to be a longstanding issue.

Specs: M3 Max Macbook Pro (64GB RAM), Sonoma 14.3.1, Premiere Pro 24.1.0

The .MXF files were shot XAVC-I from the Sony FX6 shot on a V90 card. I copied the entire memory card structure to my internal drive, and imported the clips using the media browser. The clips are 59.94 fps and 23.976 fps on a 23.976 timeline.

As I perform regular editing tasks (slowing 59.94 clips to 40%, adding clips to timeline, scrolling through), I get these error messages.

BUT, here's the kicker: I'm not actually seeing dropped frames yet. For one of the clips I received the error on, I decided to go to the source window and scroll through frame by frame. I didn't see any black frames, but scrolling through did create 9 new error messages at different frames.

Aside from the error popups being annoying, this is a project that many people are depending on. If these dropped frames actually do end up showing, I'll be in a bad spot. It seems as though with every new project, I have to factor in at least a day to deal with errors or bugs in Premiere. I shouldn't have to be constantly fighting with the tools that allow me to do my job. Moreover, the C70 and FX6 both shoot in .MXF and are fixtures of video production. Frankly, I'm taken aback that there hasn't been more meaningful support from Adobe on this.

I'm currently creating ProRes Proxies to see if that may solve the issue, but I'm concerned that this will only solve the problem in editing, and the error (dropped frames) may show up once exported.

Does anyone have thoughts on why this may be happening? Is it time to switch to Resolve like everyone seems to be saying, or could this be a workflow issue on my end?

Many thanks!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Import and ingest , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 385 Replies 385
385 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rranney_0-1720642039741.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have just started to get this:

AntonK_1984_0-1720642266982.png

Restarting Premier helps for some time, but then it comes back.

Premier 24.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-07-10 181338.pngInterlaced. From Canon C70 and no, going back to 24.1 doesn't address the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert26002911p8fm_0-1720664861767.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AntonK_1984 - Sorry about this issue, this may have been fixed in later builds.  I'm sure you have but please remember to clear all media cache and see if that helps.  I really appreciate your help troubleshooting and helping to solve this issue.  Besides the black lines are you experiencing any frame recurssion errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issues are showing up on 3 different systems in the following builds:

• Premiere 24.3.0 (Build 59) (Rolled back - still failing)
  • Premiere 24.4.1 (Build 2) (Rolled back - still failing)
  • Premiere 24.5.0 (Build 57) (Rolled back - still failing)

Issues:

• Stuttering or frozen timeline playback
  • Corrupt Frames in preview or during rendered output
  • Corrupt frames in transition effects.
  • Constant “Red Flag” errors from Adobe when importing footage
  • Major lag or freezing in footage linking and re-linking within the bin.
  • Screenshots are included

All of the above issues only started happening following the last series of software updates.

• Nvidia Drivers updated to most current for the Quadro RTX 4000 on Windows 11
  • Nvidia Drivers updated to most current for the RTX 2080 Super on Windows 11
  • Nvidia Drivers updated to most current for the RTX 3090 Laptop on Windows 11

Media Cache has been dumped.

It seems to only be impacting the following footage formats:

• Camera Codec XF-AVC / Canon Log 3 / 3840x2160 YCC420 8 bit / SD Card
  • Camera Codec XF-AVC / Canon Log 3 / 1920x1080 YCC420 8 bit / SD Card
  • Apparently some of our Sony MXF shooters are having similar issues.

Camera C200 Latest Firmware 1.0.8.1.00

Converting the footage to a generic MP4 or 10-bit QuickTime format bypasses the issues…  but that is a Band-Aid not a solution. This is not a rare or exotic format, and I cannot stress this enough, it was working without issue until the recent wave of updates.

.Screenshot 2024-07-10 101556.pngScreenshot 2024-07-10 100010.pngScreenshot 2024-07-10 100035.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On version 24.1 - No recursion errors.

I do clear caches regularly. 

Now, I've tried the Beta and MXF files, and they seem to work fine there. What is the timeframe we'll get it released?

Thank you, Jamie. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamieclarke, I have no reply to my post, can you guys resolve this please? I have reverted to 24.3 (Build 53) I'm still getting "Errors receiving frame 652 and Frame substitution recursion" I have to render and replace to be able to edit, in 24.5 I cant render anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WTF. Jamie is working with us on the problem. Dont be that rude to him!
He is looking for solution, but they need information from users.

A bug is something, that doesnt show up in programming. It shows up at the users, because of thousands of different computer setups.

Adobe and Jamie are working on the problem.

First fix is: Use the 24.6 BETA, because there is no problems anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lukas Adam, Steady on there, who's being rude...YOU! I was nearly asking for some comeback and Adobe to fix this, but no direct attack or rudeness to Jamie!

We all want this rectified by "Adobe" That is my point, we have all gone to different versions and tried different things, so it needs to be fixed, if you or Jamie think I was being rude then that was not my intention, I'm frustrated with Adobe not Jamie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have made some updates in the beta.  Please download the latest beta (24.6) and let us know if you have any issues.  Please make sure to clear your cache after any new installation.  Thank you all for your feedback and help troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have made some updates in the beta.  Please download the latest beta (24.6) and let us know if you have any issues.  Please make sure to clear your cache after any new installation.  Thank you all for your feedback and help troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anaëlle R - It seems there was a bug updating projects that would cause the behavior you see.  If you hold down the shift key while opening premiere and check the box to clear your media cache these problems should go away.  Also, We have made some updates in the beta.  Please download the latest beta (24.6) and let us know if you have any issues.  Please make sure to clear your cache after any new installation.  Thank you all for your feedback and help troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At a first glance, it looks like the 24.6 Beta is more stable with my Canon C70 .MXF 4k 10bit 422 files. Going to run a non-crucial project through it to see how it behaves on longer edit sessions, but this is encouraging!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting numerous frame retrieving and substitue errors for mxf files in the 24.6 beta. I did empty the cache before using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What build are you using?  Can you post a screenshot your media?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least for now, I advise saving yourself a lot of grief and switching to 2021 v15.  I had the errors over 2 years ago with my MXF files. I switched back to that version and rarely get a crash.  It does occasionally give the error but restarting the program fixes it. I also no longer get the "black frame" on certain scenes with this version. You won't have the latest features but can edit with peace of mind. I agree that it is ridiculous that this bug has been around for more than 2 years with no solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having an issue with MXF wrapper (XF-AVC) and I'm continuously having crashes with 422 10bit Log (Canon C70)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sony mxf files work a bit better in the new beta version on Windows but nothing like the older versions of PremPro.

No problem no lag with the latest version of Resolve on the same machine.

come on Adobe this is basic stuff to get right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update, getting these errros quite a bit with XF-AVC 1920x1080 29.97 NDF LongGOP footage and even with the 18Mbps XF-AVC 8-bit 4:2:0 proxies as well. Constant recursion errors. Footage all resides on an ArecaTech Thunderbolt 3 6-bay RAID in RAID-5 which routinely reads at around 1Gb/s.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 9.42.08 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no improvement, the application still crashes with many error messages before the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The status of this bug report is updated.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ghuff - We have made some updates in the beta.  Please download the latest beta (24.6) and let us know if you have any issues.  Please make sure to hold down shift and clear your cache after any new installation.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stevec99374408 - Can you provide us some more information?  What type of computer are you working on?  What version of Premiere are you on? please provide the build number as well You can find this information in the About Premiere.  Do you have any plugins installed?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my rushes are shot with a Canon camera in slow motion at 50 fps. I have several PCs with up-to-date premiere pro. They crash all the time with frame recovery errors even if I move the project to an internal drive. I empty the cache... Nothing helps. Apparently the only solution is to go back to the first version of 2024 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate