Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Frame substitution attempt aborting error - .MXF Files Fixed in version 25

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 10-14-24:  

MXF file frame substitution errors has been fixed in version 25 of Premiere Pro 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen a number of posts about this, and am now running into the problem myself. Although there are a few differences I'd like to share that I'm hoping may shed more light on what appears to be a longstanding issue.

Specs: M3 Max Macbook Pro (64GB RAM), Sonoma 14.3.1, Premiere Pro 24.1.0

The .MXF files were shot XAVC-I from the Sony FX6 shot on a V90 card. I copied the entire memory card structure to my internal drive, and imported the clips using the media browser. The clips are 59.94 fps and 23.976 fps on a 23.976 timeline.

As I perform regular editing tasks (slowing 59.94 clips to 40%, adding clips to timeline, scrolling through), I get these error messages.

BUT, here's the kicker: I'm not actually seeing dropped frames yet. For one of the clips I received the error on, I decided to go to the source window and scroll through frame by frame. I didn't see any black frames, but scrolling through did create 9 new error messages at different frames.

Aside from the error popups being annoying, this is a project that many people are depending on. If these dropped frames actually do end up showing, I'll be in a bad spot. It seems as though with every new project, I have to factor in at least a day to deal with errors or bugs in Premiere. I shouldn't have to be constantly fighting with the tools that allow me to do my job. Moreover, the C70 and FX6 both shoot in .MXF and are fixtures of video production. Frankly, I'm taken aback that there hasn't been more meaningful support from Adobe on this.

I'm currently creating ProRes Proxies to see if that may solve the issue, but I'm concerned that this will only solve the problem in editing, and the error (dropped frames) may show up once exported.

Does anyone have thoughts on why this may be happening? Is it time to switch to Resolve like everyone seems to be saying, or could this be a workflow issue on my end?

Many thanks!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Import and ingest , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 385 Replies 385
385 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Xavier36342062hxms - Can you please try the beta version 24.6, we have made some updates that have helped with your media.  In the creative cloud desktop app under apps there is a section on the side labeled beta apps.  This is where you can download Premiere Pro beta 24.6.  Always remember to hold down shift after new installs and clear your media cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Timoooo - in the creative cloud desktop app under the apps section there is a beta apps category in the side panel.  This is where you can download Premiere Pro beta 24.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems stable. But the reaction time when you start reading is long, it's not very smooth. We have the same style of problem when we make a project with rushes from different sources DJI + Canon + Sony... I already had a solution with the first version of 2024 but thanks for your help. That said, it's shocking that a company like Adobe releases a version that skips Canon rushes.

I'll end up taking a look at DaVinci if it continues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abobe Premiere version 24.6.0 BETA (Build 30)

Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried everything that has been said in this thread. Nothing works.

Fernando Alves
Editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @fernando alves - Please try updating your beta to build 60 or later you can open the creative cloud desktop app and select check for updates in the upper right corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rranney_0-1721653358926.png

I am still receiving these errors with the most recent beta (24.6 Build 74). I use Canon C70 .XMF files that are 4k 10bit 422 LongGop 150mbps. Here is a look at the media file properties of the footage I shoot for every project:

rranney_1-1721659266698.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere version 24.6.0 BETA (Build 30)

Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @jamieclarke ,

Can I update to the last version and this issue has been solve? Is the last Adobe Premiere version (Beta and non Beta) working well with MXF files?

Thanks a lot!

Fernando Alves
Editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the latest beta today and cleaning cache did not prevent glitchens and frame substitution erros.

Christiaan1_0-1721725590870.png

Back to 25.3 again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ghuff - Checking in on your issue.  Were you able to try out the beta?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, with the latest Premiere Beta that I was able to install (version 24.6.0 Build 74) I am still getting these messages with XF-AVC 50Mbps 1920x1080 29.97 NDF footage even while not scrubbing, the timeline is merely open.

There is also a 3-second lag to start playing the timeline, which feels even worse than it is in the current release version. The Thunderbolt 3 RAID-5 array that this footage resides on routinely reports 1GB/s read speed in my tests.

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 10.40.59 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ghuff - Thanks for getting back to us.  Do you use markers in your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do occasionally, mostly to mark spots where I need to return to in the future, but this particular timelime had no markers and this whole project probably either does not have any markers in all the timelines (there are 15 timelines in this project) or has 1-2 in the whole project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking if the files that you are recieving the recursion frames on have markers on them?

Confirming that you have held down "SHIFT" while launching premier and clicked the checkbox "clear media chache files" "disable third party plugins one time" and "Reset plugin loading cache"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That absolutely helped, but did not eliminate it entirely, plus it added this new error I've never seen before (Audio not found) and this is on one of those 18Mbps Proxy clips.

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 5.31.43 PM.jpg

Also, there are markers in the XF-AVC footage, as the C300 adds markers every time there is a "Face Detection". I will say I have only ever seen these markers in the Canon XF Utility software and never in Premiere.

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 5.40.18 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ghuff - Thanks for the information, this is interesting.  Do you have any of the XMP settings on in your preferences under Media?  Would you be able to send me one of these files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my settings in the Premiere Beta for that (they also match the non-Beta latest release version of Premiere on my system).

Screenshot 2024-07-25 at 11.07.39 AM.jpg

And here is a link to the XML file from that exact clip from before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ghuff - I received your file, unfortunately I haven't been able to repro your issue.  Can you try one more thing, 

Go to the location of your media cache files, usually at Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common. Then can you manually delete the folders,  

“Media Cache”, “Media Cache Files", "Peak Files”.  Launch Premiere and let me know if that helps. 

Just to confirm no plugins installed right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have plugins installed, however those errors I took the screenshot with where after I booted it with "no plugins" when holding down the Shift key.

If this means anything, the clip was in a Multicam sequence that I was editing in a timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ShadoworksWade @jamieclarke - I am having the exact same issues as described.

I am on M3 Pro, MacOS Sonoma. My files are stored on an external NVME SSD which has a tested and sustained speeds of R:2700MB/s and W:2850MB/s

I have manually deleted my cache and will await the issue to reoccur.

Has been happening during comparison view, and scrubbing timeline. Only working with XF-AVC footage - 2 C200 cameras with same settings. I do not get a sputtering playback or timeline issues at this stage.

Am awaiting confirmation of fix to be deployed @jamieclarke - or should I be confident to use beta? Given stable release isn't stable maybe those things don't matter with adobe products?

This is a pretty unacceptable problem to be dealing with with such a mature camera model and software...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed - still occurring after manually deleting and clearing media cache. Will transcode for this project. And begin the migration away from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ghuff - Can you go to the wrench menu and try setting your playback and pause resolution to half in your source and program monitor.  Do you have high quality playback enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the playback set to 1/2 and I do not have "High Quality Playback" is not enabled throughout this whole process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your paused resolution at?  Can you try setting both to full and let me know how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The defaults Premiere has always used in my experience is playback at 1/2, paused at Full, and High Quality Playback disabled. I have not changed these defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2024 Jul 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting lot's of warnings related to footage from my Canon XF605 .mxf files (see attached).  They don't seem to be really affecting anything, but they are frequent and concerning.  The other 4 cameras in the project are not reporting warnings.

Canon XF605 File Properties:

Type: MXF
File Size: 13.54 GB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 23.976
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 24-bit - 4 Channels
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - 4 Channels
Total Duration: 00:41:00:12
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Color Space: Rec. 709
Color Space Override: Off
Input LUT: None

MXF File details:
Wrapper type: MXF OP1a (type: SingleItem SinglePackage MultiTrack Stream Internal)
File generated by: CANON, XF605 (1.00)
AVC Long GOP High 4:2:2 Profile 10-bit Unconstrained Coding

Votes

Translate

Translate