• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Morph cut - Analyzing in Background never completes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple headshot cutting to the same head, same everything a few seconds later.

All other transitions work find. I try morph cut and see 'Analyzing in background.' Never see sign of progress - should I see it chewing through frames somehow?

I have gone to project settings. Tried both rendering settings. One thing - When I do GPU acceleration my still frames look like garbage - example:

http://www.screencast.com/t/rPiWL6yL

Software acceleration looks fine. No idea if these items are related.

Have run through all preferences. Don't see anything that might be turned off. BTW - working with MBP 15" late 2013. Latest OS.

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Import and ingest , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Hello mbpm, and community,

I'm Kevin from support, one of the moderators here. Thanks for the bug report.

I apologize for the issues this effect sometimes causes. A product team member would be better at explaining this, but in my own experience using it, it's not a new effect and was created when certain workflows didn't exist yet. Reading through here, nesting can assist with legacy scaling issues, and transcoding can help with other unforeseen issues. The thread contains some other really g

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Hi @wisaq,

I read that you are having trouble with the morph cut effect. Please provide the community with more information so we can help. I'm sorry for the frustration. You can take steps to ensure the effect works much better, such as using a simple background, short clips, and avoiding scaling with clips vs. sequence settings (choose to nest). I hope the ideas help.

See:

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that's a rhetorical question.  Premiere is loaded with features that kinda sorta work.  This is one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, morph cut should be smarter and if a bunch of clips are selected it should always know not to add the transition to a clip with no adjacent clip (empty timeline).  It knows after it is added, why not prevent it from even happening.

Also, Morph Cut should never allow a render export to complete if it isn't done analyzing.   That should be a render option... Only allow render after Morph Cut finishes analyzing.  

Then that might help stop some of the bugs that cause program crash from time to time if not careful too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am attempting to merge 2 clips with Morph Cut in Premiere 23.6.0, but the effect does not ever produce results. The "analyzing in background" banner will appear for a split second, then dissappear, and the clips remain unchanged. I have tried increasing and decreasing the length of the transition, as well as tried testing on other clips to no avail.

I have tried this on my M1 Ultra Mac Studio as well as my M2 Max Macbook Pro, and it behaves exactly the same on both machines. Any ideas? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Hecubus114,

Sorry for the issue. Could you let us know what type of shots are you adding morph cuts to? A stable frame with a talking head is ideal for adding the morph cut effect. Please refer to this article for more information: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/premiere-pro/using/morph-cut.html

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I am attempting to merge 2 clips from a timelapse where there is a jump in the frames. I have done this before. 

The problem is that Morph Cut is simply not doing anything. Everything behaves as if it has been successfully applied, but the actual clips remain unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I think I have figured it out. I was trying to Morph Cut two halves of the same clip, with no frames removed in between. I could have sworn I did this before, and the clips still "morphed" together, but it was not happening here. Removing just one frame from either end of the two halves is now making Morph Cut perform how I was hoping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you found a fix! Feel free to reach out if there's anything else we can help you with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem on my video in sept of 2023. I'm so frustrated. I have a speaking video where I was editing out a lot of illeteration skips like um and so. The original video is 20 minutes long and with the pauses edited out it's just at 16 min. Editing out the pauses makes the difference in this video, but the morph cut is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a You Tube video that helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXDtqFlHzso. I'm going cut by cut and adjusting them to a smaller morph length (since it's easy razor cuts). It's tedious and time consuming. Fingers crossed. In the future, I'll set the individual morph lengths as I edit instead of using the auto size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well even ad the smallest poaaible setting, the warning still sows up. It's better to have a frame jump than a red line across the scree. How completely frustrating. I may abandon this project in Premiere Pro and go to another program.  20 min video and over 13 hours in editing it and reediting due to the Morph Cut errors. Ridiculous. I can only hope that as AI becomes more integrated, we'll be able to program it for vocal pops. Oy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not realize this has been a persistent issue for years. I already created three morph cut edits in two projects this week, but when I came back to the same timeline/project the next day, Morph Cut stopped working. It will not complete though it did in the same timeline with nothing changing the next day. I now have to find another workaround for my edits. Thanks, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morph has been an issue for some users, worked great for others. If you're one of the first group, total symapthies! I've watched this over the years, and for some users, there were clear things they could/should do differently, and it would work.

But for other users ... zero zip nada. Why? Dunno.

So for basic troubleshooting ... there's several things mentioned up above in this thread, have you tried any of those? Here's a few ...

• works either on 'full' clips or only short cut sections of clips on a sequence ... 
  • doesn't work on subclips (perhaps only in some projects) ...
  • doesn't work until the clip is nested, then works fine ...

And yea, troubleshooting can be a pain in the tush but is necessary to get things working at times. Or to get the best info to the devs on the specifics of when something doesn't work. As most of these buggy behavior things actually work fine for the majority of users.

Wbich is why chasing down why they don't work for the smaller subset can be a right pain for the devs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to work more consistently when sequence and footage settings are a match in 1080, but it's not a 100% reliable effect.

Moreover, it kind of stinks as an effect anyway.  I maybe like... 1/3rd of the results?  sometimes it actually looks useable; most of the times it looks ridiculous.

Kind of interesting reading complaints about users trying to put in numerous instances of it on a timeline.  Brave souls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. It needs better Ai, and I'd like to see accelleration controls so the effect can "ease in" and "ease out" more smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar results as you, about a third of the time it works ok. So I don't even use it much. When it does, it's great of course. But the other times ... unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIVE YEARS, ADOBE.

This thread (problem) has been arooud 5 years. Please either FIX or delete this an "effect".

All it does is (negatively) AFFECT our ability to work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I found is to put your playhead on the transition where you can read "Analyzing in background" until it finishes processing. Apparently, it only does the job when you can actually see "Analyzing in background". Although it is supposed to be actually "Analyzing in background". This way I can make cuts, morph them all at once, adjust transitions on the 2nd pass, and done!

See below:
Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to turn all of mine into nested subsequences.   This seemed to work.    Annoying, but works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same sequence, it works in 2023 version, but not in 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I never had this issue again since Premiere Pro 2023.4. Now I'm on 2024. Guys, just update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, don't know what to say... Premiere Pro 2024. The everlasting analysis...

5E17_0-1699544345360.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working, at least sometimes. Would be great if we saw the reason for it NOT working. Just keeps analyzing. Nesting (they are nested multicam clips) some more just produces  something like "accessing clips not possible".

At least the horrible playback was fixed from yesterday's update to today's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as soon as I'd posted that my Morph cut refused to work. Yeah, in 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!

That's painful. Period. Been there done the screaming at the monitor ...

While most of us users don't have the issue, or if we do, it's like one build or build series, it's a HUGE hassle when you do. For example/data, I only had this problem with one specific build a couple versions back, Drove me NUTs it did ...

But not since. No clue why some get it, many don't. Wish I did!

Yet some users still get this ... just ... wowza. 

The only things I can suggest help some with this issue, but cetainly not all. And may be worth trying for those reading this thread if they haven't already ...

1) Use Morph on relatively 'short' clips, 10 seconds of sequence time or less. I personally try to stay under 5. Which means judiciously choosing what needs stabilization, just doing those bits. Cutting clips into multiple sections at times, maybe even resizing the in-between to match the Morphed clips to either side.

2) When you gotta do long bits, like handheld "reality" shots, get experience with Morph's controls, so you both a) allow some level of motion to pass through, and b) set the type of stabilization applied to the clips.

That second part is crucial for many users ... learning how to modify the settings in Morph to get adequate service, but still getting through the clip analyzation being finished.

And ... 

3) as soon as you have a clip or clips finished analyzing, immediately do a full Render & Replace on the sequence! That way further playback is 'simple' for the computer, and crucially, you don't risk Premere losing the analyzation data ... which it can and will eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now it seems Morph cuts have stopped working altogether great. Now I have "anaysing in background" across all cuts that worked fine before the update and I can't deliver. Rolling back... 
Edit: this concerned certain clips that worked before. Switching multicam clip perspective, I got some new morphs to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate