• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Productions - Sick Puppy or Clitch-ware?

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is a bug, some issue with my setup or just an attack of the fingers:

Premiere Pro Version: 24.3.

Platform/OS Version: Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio 2/Windows 11 (fully up to date)

I have a little project in the works. It is shaping up as multiple related episodes and a few shared assets.  I checked out the Production concept and it sounded ideal so I thought I would give it a go.

=> New/Production {go through rigmarole} {display project and Production Window} CRASH

OK, that didn't go according to plan. I checked the drive and the Production location appeared in the right place and the presumably empty default (Unknown?) project was in it.  So I restarted Premiere Pro, opened the Production again and that worked {No Crash = Progress}. 

I should have quit while I was ahead. I then thought I would outline the Production as a set of folders with episode projects in each. And that's when the trouble really started.

=> New Folder {Enter Name} {Press OK} - Nothing (literally)

=> New Project {Enter Name} {Press OK} - More Nothing

Perhaps I pressed the wrong button, rinse and repeat, still nothing. Back on the disk, yep, there the folder/project is. The Production window is accepting my requests, doing them and then telling me nothing, i.e. not updating the display. Same story with New Project. To see anything, I have to exit the Production Window and then reopen it.  I have tried restarting Premiere Pro, restarting the OS.  Nothing changes.

As this stands, for me the Production feature is unusable so I am leaving it for now.  I would be interested in any solutions if anyone has any thoughts.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Hello Nick,

We haven't received any crash reports from your email address; sending those in the future, would help us provide useful guidance.

> => New Folder {Enter Name} {Press OK} - Nothing (literally)

> => New Project {Enter Name} {Press OK} - More Nothing

Bizarre. Can you reliably reproduce that behavior? I can't, mac or win. 

>for me the Production feature is unusable so I am leaving it for now.

Numerous feature films, YouTube channels and episodic shows rely on Productions every day, so I'm

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

It appears you have typed some (invisible?) characters into the Search/Filter dialog, at the top of the Productions panel.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

The creation of a 'trash' folder within the Production, when you have deleted items in the Production, is 100% by design behavior. 🙂

OneDrive syncing is guaranteed to create file access collisions; syncing your active Production is not at all recommended.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nick,

We haven't received any crash reports from your email address; sending those in the future, would help us provide useful guidance.

> => New Folder {Enter Name} {Press OK} - Nothing (literally)

> => New Project {Enter Name} {Press OK} - More Nothing

Bizarre. Can you reliably reproduce that behavior? I can't, mac or win. 

>for me the Production feature is unusable so I am leaving it for now.

Numerous feature films, YouTube channels and episodic shows rely on Productions every day, so I'm hopeful we can figure out what's going wrong for you.

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce, 

Thanks for the reply. The crash was a strange story in its own right.  The Adobe crash dodad (manager?) got involved and accused me of being on an old version of Premiere Pro and offerred my the opportunity to update.  I was pretty sure my version was the latest but I press update anyway, control passed to Adobe CC Desktop to manage the update. The latter said I was up to date. In the confusion, I lost the crash report and it hasn't happened again.

I agree, bizarre.  I can't imagine it getting through unit testing, never mind UAT, looking like that.  There has to be something in my setup causing the trouble but it is a pretty much out-of-the-box setup on a fresh machine (about 2 or 3 weeks old). And in answer to your question, yes, every time. I tested and reproduced it again this morning and took a short video of the process.  Hopefully I can attach here. No, fussy URL parser (valid URL, claims not, yes, I tested it).  Try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8uu3jq3d3ftllzmyrizfj/Recording-2024-04-28-133926.mp4?rlkey=hyoh2wjro...

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you have typed some (invisible?) characters into the Search/Filter dialog, at the top of the Productions panel.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce,

Well, I did another test and there is nothing in the search box that I can detect.  I check before (nothing), did the test with the same result, checked the search box again and still nothing.

...Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate the behavior in your video, if I have a space in the search bar. 

No one here can replicate the behavior in your video, without a space in the search bar. 🙂

If you put "somename" in the Productions search bar, and create a new bin or project named "somename", is it visible in the Production panel after you create it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce,

Things got a whole lot stranger.  Before I tried your suggestion, I did a couple of things:

• I selected one of the dud items in the Production folder and clicked delete (trash can).  Nothing obvious happend so I closed and reopened the Production window. I now have a entry called "Trash" that I can't seem to get rid of.  I will try Windows Explorer later.
  • I did it again on another folder and it worked as expected (expect for the window update of course.

I tried your suggestion.  Typed "somename" in search box.  This removed all items from the display as I don't have anything to show called somename.  Now, the New Folder and New Project icons are greyed out and unresponsive.

I then tried typing a space in the search box.  This too makes the New icons grey out. In fact typing anything does.

Finally, I have been getting a weird message from OneDrive about not being able to sync my Premiere Pro shortcut because it clashes with some other folder.  I can't see any reason why there would be a clash. I understand this is to avoid double sync-ing but I can't see how that could occur with Premiere Pro's shortcut.

So! Something is clearly wrong with my installation.  Unless you have any other suggestions, I might uninstall it and reinstall it again and see if that improves things.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The creation of a 'trash' folder within the Production, when you have deleted items in the Production, is 100% by design behavior. 🙂

OneDrive syncing is guaranteed to create file access collisions; syncing your active Production is not at all recommended.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate