• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Detailed Report: Premiere Pro 2024 has Some Severe UI Issues

Participant ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, Apologies I recently made a post about this before but i thought it was rushed and i feel i can explain this issue at a lot more detail. As there is multiple issues i shall split this post into several sections (Please Check Last Section For Technical Specifications And Other Notes On My Tests)

Premiere Pro 2024 has Some Severe UI Issues. (Beta Included)
READ THIS :
THIS IS A MASTER THREAD FOR THIS ISSUE. WHERE I WILL BE POSTING EVERY SINGLE FINDING I POSSIBLY CAN. IF YOU SEE THIS POST AND ARE SUFFERING FROM THIS ISSUE PLEASE HIT UPVOTE. 

AND COMMENT YOUR PC SPECS AND SPECIFICS ON YOUR EXPERIENCES. EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO ADD JUST A COMMENT SAYING THAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS BUG IS ENOUGH TO PUSH MORE TOWARDS A FIX. IF YOU FIND ANYONE EXPERIENCING THIS BUG ALSO IN ANOTHER FORM PLEASE REDIRECT THEM HERE SO THEY CAN COMMENT AND WE CAN HAVE ONE SPACE FOR THIS ISSUE AND EVERYONE EXPEIRIENCING IT. 
REGULAR UPDATES ON MY FINDINGS ON THIS BUG WILL BE DOCUMENTED HERE ALSO. 

ISSUE: Timeline Zooming__________________________________

In Premiere The Timeline Can Be Used To Zoom into Specified Areas Of The Timeline For Precise Adjustments. Or Zoomed Out to See More Of The Project Done By Either The Scroll Wheel. Or The Zoom Bar On The Ui Located At The Bottom Of The Timeline Panel

Also Doing This In Premiere 2024 Is No Longer Usable

This Feature Also Drops To 1 Frame Per 3 Seconds. 

Unlike Issue One, This Issue DOES subside if the timeline isnt as complex. This includes zooming in

BUT Once The Timeline Is Zoomed Out Fully. And it has to draw ALL the Timeline Items. It Drops To 1 Frame Per 3 minutes.

The Testing Sequence i used had thousands of audio tracks, video tracks and clips and Was Used Across Multiple Versions Of Premiere Pro From 2018 -> 2023 -> Beta

NOTE: ON THE TEST PROJECT I ALSO DISABLED EVERYTHING WITHIN THE GEAR ICON OF THE TIMELINE TO MAKE SURE IT WASNT AN ISSUE WITH AUDIO WAVES OR ANOTHER ELEMENT THATS DREW ONTO CLIPS ON THE TIMELINE. AND IT MADE LITTLE TO NO CHANGE WHAT SO EVER TO THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS FEATURE.

Premiere Pro CC 2023 Build 23.2

The Results In This Version Were Perfect. The Zooming On The Timeline Worked and ran at about 10/20 frames Per Second and doesnt slow down REGARDLESS of the audio or video clip quantity
I Would Consider This a Usable Standard For Premiere
This Result Is the Same in my Tests From CC 2018 -> CC 2023 Build 23.2

Premiere Pro CC 2023 Build 23.3

Timeline Performance Differs For The First Time Since 2018 Here. Going from 20 Fps on Zooming Out. To 7/10 fps zooming out.
This Is Still Usable BUT WORSE
[i cant seem to find an online backup for the change notes of build 23.3. so i cannot analyse them to see what change could have caused this issue to start.]

Premiere Pro CC 2023 Build 23.5

Timeline Performance Becomes What It Is Today.

1 Frame Per 3 Seconds. This Continues To Produce The Same Results If Not Worse Through to The Latest 2024 Build To Even Beta

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS_______________________________

These Tests Were Done Apon 2 Machines. Both Running FRESH installs Of Windows 11 Pro. With ALL Drivers Up To Date. And Windows Also Up To Date

MACHINE 1 
Processor          : RYZEN 9 5950X (Chipset Drivers Up To Date)
Ram                   : G.SKILL F4-3600C17D-32GTZR 64 GB (16 GB x 4 DUAL CHANNEL) (XMP ENABLED)

Drive 1                : Samsung 980 1 TB NVMe M.2 3500MB/s (MZ-V8V1T0BW) 
Drive 2               : Crucial P5 2TB CT2000P5SSD8 NVMe M.2 3400MB/s
Motherboard    : MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (BIOS + DRIVERS UP TO DATE)
GPU                   :  PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 (Studio Driver : 551.61 AND TESTED 528.49)

MACHINE 2

Processor          : Intel Core i7 8750H (Chipset Drivers Up To Date)
Ram                   :  32gb Ram

Drive 1                : SABRENT M.2 NVMe SSD 2TB 3200 MB/s (SB-RKTQ-2TB)
Motherboard    : N/A (BIOS + DRIVERS UP TO DATE)
GPU                   :  1070 Max-Q (Studio Driver : 551.61)

FIX ATTEMPTS___________________________________________

Monitor : Issue Did Not Fix Using A Non GSYNC Monitor, Or A 60Hz/120hz/144hz/240hz Monitor, nor did anything change on a resolution change from 16:9 or 21:9 even 32:9. the only thing that showed any difference was if the overall screen resolution was smaller. as there was less pixels for the timeline to render. as premiere stopped showing cuts sooner.

Nvidia Control Panel : 

• Threaded Optimisation : No Change
  • Power Management Mode : No Change
  • Low Latency Mode : No Change

Nvidia Drivers :
Alternate Drivers Other Than The Most Recent Studio-551.61 Only Produced Worse Effects.

Mouse Polling Rate:
This DID HELP ALL Versions of Premiere. But The Issue Still Persists Regardless. Just Slighty Faster Across The Board. moving polling rate from 1000 to 125 via the razer synapse app.

GPU SETTINGS : 

• Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling - No Change
  • Optimised For Windows Games - No Change

Windows Startup:
Every Unneeded service was disabled and startup programs were all disabled. i even booted into safe mode to see if the issue persisted and it did.

Premiere Pro Memory:
Set it as low as it could go and as high. and no change was seen

Operating System: 
i havent tested windows 10 for the same effects but my comment on this is, its most likely the same.
i have been told on mac its not an issue. but windows 11 it is. i cannot test as i dont have a mac.

Fresh Installs: 
DDU was used every time to install GPU Drivers
Both Machines Have Been FULLY Reset Twice During These Tests.

Power Plan:
No Change When Changing To ANY Power Plan.

Footage Type:
ProRes422 
Audio Is Uncompressed 32bit 48k

Audio Settings: Setting Input To None Did Nothing.
growing files made no change.

Unsure to whats causing this. but im hoping it can either be patched soon or in some way have a solution so i can get this video to my employer soon... without having to use outdated versions of premiere.
ive attached a video below showing the issues. in comparison to 2022

EDIT:
A fresh windows install with nothing on it other than gpu drivers. chipset drivers and premiere still shows the same results
SO I'VE ATTACHED MY TEST PROJECT. please download premiere 2022 and premiere 2024 with this project and view the differences in timeline performance. the footage will be offline but thats okay as the issue is specific to rendering items on the timeline, NOT the videos themselves

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Hello @Aiden Soave,

Thanks for the detailed post. I hope the team can get to the bottom of this nagging bug. I have seen it from others but cannot reproduce the error myself. I have an 11th-generation Intel CPU and an NVIDIA GPU at my home studio, so I must ask the engineering staff to further troubleshoot this problem (I'm not on the Premiere Pro development team, sorry).

I do think the information you gave and others seeing similar issues in the threads you provided is proof enough tha

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
46 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that beautifully laid out, detailed post! An amazing listing of issues with specifics for replication, along with complete details on hardware. Just ... wow.

@Trent Happel @WesHowellPPro @mattchristensen  ... I think this is for you folks on staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i feel like i just checked my university teachers notes on my work after being praised for it haha! 
hope this can be sorted soon. i'm resetting my pc once more and installing absolutely nothing to see if it still performs the same.
hopefully ill be able to dive deeper into if windows 11 versions have an effect on this or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can confirm when clicking and draging in the Program monitor, I get the jumpy motion seen at the end of the OP's video. This with scaling, position and  rotation. This with a UHD clip, same clip with a HD Cineform Proxy, and also a 720x480 avi. Even dragging around a PSD.

However I don't see the problem when using the default transform controls in the ECP. In addition my timelines seem to scroll OK.

Win 23H2, PP 24.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the issue didnt appear unless as seen in the video. i went ahead and copied the audio down once or twice to add more complexity to the timeline. then zoom all the way out. its like theres a limit on how many assets can be drawn on screen at one point. 

try opening up the project again. and putting a few thousand individual audios down lasting a few seconds. and zoom out. this lags in 2024 but doesnt in 2023.

i understand most test projects wouldnt always reproduce the same effects which is why i made the test seen in the example 10x more complex with copy and pastes than it needed to be

im 99% sure if you did that. it would react the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a problem once, (not related here), but I did and suggest you do the clean Windows install and  then PP only, and give that a try. The time I had the issue, I got past the initial problem with just Windows and that. Then adding other software, and would test after each one and it kept going like that, and I was about to give up on the testing, but fortunately I tested right after installing the printer drivers, and boom! There it was. Turns out there was a bug in one of them and rolling back on that solved the problem. 

So, if Windows and just PP (creative cloud has to be installed) works, then add things one by one to get up to your build, and test in between. But I'd appreciate to find the cause or for this to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: 
Reinstalled Fresh Windows
Installed GPU Studio Drivers
Installed AMD Chipset Drivers
Installed Creative Cloud
Installed Premiere Pro CC 2024
Opened The Test Project.

All issues are still present. 
although i am convinced the reason this issue isnt showing up on the end of others is due to the complexity required on the timeline to reproduce this effect. so im attaching my test project file above in the original post.
i recommend installing premiere pro cc 2023 V23.2 and no later.
or Premiere Pro CC 2022

And Comparing it to the latest install of premiere. from fully zoomed out. to slighly zooming in. 
The footage will remain offline and thats okay. as the issue is not a footage based issue. its an actual ui drawing assets apon the timeline issue.

other than that have we came to a conclusion on the viewer scale controls being a universal issue that is a real dev bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Updates on if that Test Project File produces the same effects for others?

also if possible if anyone who has these issues or simular and is just hovering on the thread. can you please click the upvote button so we can maybe get this seen by someone working for adobe ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the similar results that I got previously with my project, in that the scale, position, rotation and Anchor Point don't work well in the program monitor, but with this project I get the same jumpy changes I see in the Program monitor when using the Effect Control Panel. On my simpler project, I got smooth changes using the ECP.

I have the same good results in scrolling the timeline using alt+scroll wheel in both projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you can create a new project, add other media, and replicate the behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil's post got me thinking, I went back into your project to check PP Preferences, didn't find anything there, as you said, all the acceleration items are checked, but then I saw your Sequence settings, set to 60fps. (Personally I don't use it, as for me, it's more a shooting fps rather than editing.) Anyway, when I changed it to 24fps, I got back to good effects movement from the ECP controls. (And my scrolling timeline was working well in your project previously and now) and the moving, resizing, etc in the program monitor remains pretty bumpy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont understand why my timeline scrolling is so madly slow? especially across 2 different machines. with fresh installs of windows AND premiere. and no matter what footage i put in or what settings i use it still remains slow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh i must also note that if your on mac. supposedly this issue is not present. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH and i forgot. remember in my original post to take screen resolution into count. if the screen is 1920x1080 or 1440p you may need to try a higher resolution display to get the same results

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found another form post of this issue also. this one was on mac tho so maybe my studies were wrong.
His version when it started getting bad almost lines up EXACTLY with my research tho. so it must be something more common

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/scrubbing-and-scrolling-on-a-long-timeline-is-extre...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video similar to yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay if you can. duplicate every track up one. twice on that project. and view timeline scaling speed at that point.
now this may be a BIT extreme of a test but. it highlights the issue better as 2023 deals with much more complex projects at a higher ui frame rate 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: One thing i have found is the timeline SIZE matters.
so again if your running a 1080p screen this issue wont effect you. once you move to a larger screen with more pixels premiere starts drawing more items on the ui. smaller the ui the more it cuts out when you zoom out. bigger the ui the more it keeps. 

not sure why this is an issue to begin with but my theory is that. if the timeline exceeds a specific size. its kinda like.. the draw distance on a video game. it sets it to the max. and the program cannot handle it. for some reason. i imagine this reason is the thing that was changed in 2023 towards the end. unsure to why

im download a Virtual machine to test windows 10 and ANOTHER clean windows 11 install to see if the issue continues

my OTHER theory is that this issue is specifically ryzen based. and intel systems wont suffer from it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. 😞 Well, I think I've tested enough for you. I duplicate it three times, and it was marginally less smooth scrolling the timeline. And my mouse has scrollpoint button... which is very smooth, much more so than a wheel.

So for me, it's only moving, rotating, etc... in the program monitor, and everything else is working OK.

MyerPj_0-1709853401375.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you perhaps using OS scaling? I would say the majority of people that have 4k monitors need OS scaling to bring things to a useable resolution. (Thus eliminating the very purpose of having such a monitor). Mine is 2560x1440, running the specs you see in the video. (Full preview, High Quality Playback, pause and playback on full, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apologies if i came across a bit blunt i do appreciate the help a lot and you testing it. i am just VERY sure that this is reproducable on every system if given the right circumstances. 
the proof should be mostly that you did see it get marginally worse. on 2022. you wouldnt see ANY difference. and this is wherte my issue arrises.

now on a screen thats 1440p. thats prob all your gonna see. a marginal decrease. but if you were to set the screen scaling in the nvidia control panel to 1.75x and try 4k (not saying to test this for me i understand your at your limit this is more for just explaining sake)
the "marginal" difference would become a MASSIVE difference. 

to answer your other question. my windows scaling is at 100%. and no more or less. everything is at complete windows default. the thing with this is i think the issue would subside if i set my scaling to 200% (just tested this. it is true.)

its almost as if the panel cannot handle more than 100/200 cuts on screen at once before performance starts to degrade. and the higher your monitors resolution. the more it does it. the bigger the timeline is set to be. the more it degrades. the more the cuts add up the more it degrades. which makes me think its a program issue. timeline performance has degraded to a point thats un-noticable until the timeline reaches a specific amount with a specific resolution with a specific scaling and positioning of the timeline panel where it starts slugging down. which is unnoticable for most but as someone who runs a 32:9 monitor running 1440 x 2 i imagine the issue stands out to me more. 

something was changed in 2023 that has caused the timeline to not be able to render assets onto the graphic ui timeline with the same efficency as before. and simply being able to get a marginal difference is proof enough of this. as that marginal difference only grows once other factors are included. i really think there needs to be an adobe employee here. but all ive seen so far is community members which i appreciate a lot. again i must restate i didnt mean to upset anyone by being blunt in my responses. but this really is an issue i think NEEDS to be addressed by adobe themselfs.
especailly if one of their new big focuses is remaking the timeline ui in the beta as ive heard and seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE. ive found even more form posts from last year even with comments lasting up till now with this issue
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-2024-lagging-when-inserting-cli...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ANOTHER UPDATE:
taking a look at the reacurring version where this seems to happen. v23.5/ 23.6 as everyone has stated

the only changes in 23.6 were better "ARRIRAW" support
and in 23.5 there was a SPECIFIC update made towards the timeline UI to make it "run faster" 
my theory is this change fundimentally broke something in the timeline ui rendering. and this has stayed burried in the premiere pro code for a while. festering. id reccommend anyone at adobe have a look at what was actually changed to the ui in version 23.5 or .6 and see if theres any way it could have caused some issues with the timeline performance overall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Post highlighting the same issue here. ive reached out to the creator of this post on twitter to see if a solution was reached or if hes still using older versions of premiere pro
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/premiere-timeline-ui-performance-has-been-getting-w...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mod note: The content of this post was deleted. Adobe Engineering asks that you do not discuss altering the settings of the internal engineering tools. These are not to be altered or changed by users. Do so at your own risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mod note: The content of this post was deleted. Adobe Engineering asks that you do not discuss altering the settings of the internal engineering tools. These are not to be altered or changed by users. Do so at your own risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate