• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2019 Mac Pro 7,1 w/ Vega II - CRASHING Premiere (update drivers??)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this message every time I try to open 2020 Adobe Premiere Pro on my New Mac Pro 2019:
"Premier Pro could not find any capable video play modules. Please update your video display drivers and start again."  
Specs:

2019 Mac Pro: 16-core, Vega II solo, 192gb ram (OWC)

10.15.2 MacOS Catalina

Restarts don't help. Any ideas here or anyone else experiencing this issue?

I need this addressed ASAP as I cannot get premiere to open on my brand new machine. 

This article does not address the issue with the Mac Pro 2019. 

Error "Premiere Pro could not find any capable video play modules" | Startup 
(but I'm the admin with permissions. I'm not sure what they mean by renaming folders)

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kwinzeler, definitely not an issue with the new Mac Pro or Macbook Pro 16".

Did a detailed troubleshooting over the last few days and shared it here.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premier-pro-2020-after-effects-media-encoder-audition-is...

It's not just PP but its accompanying video audio software as well. Hope someone from Adobe addresses this asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues with the same exact specs.  Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to post an update for anyone having the same issues with these specs. 

In a rush to get my machine running against tight deadlines I did a bunch of stuff that so far has gotten my Premiere to get up and running:

- Disabled my second monitor, running on a single monitor
- Manually reset permissions on all adobe app and app support folders in library, made every user available able to "read and write"

- Used Digital Rebellion's app and trashed all preferences and ran every single possible fix to fix permissions everywhere
- Sacrificed my first born to the vengeful tech gods
- Restarted three times

So far I seem to be stable for at least this one working session.  I'll update if it anything else happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your machine still working with this solution? Do you think it's related to the second monitor being plugged in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a persistent bug that is still going on with my system. The current workaround is this, regardless of peripherals if, when I boot the system up, I immediately open Premiere and After Effects and open a project then I am able to use the machine no problem.

If I do another task not involving Adobe, and attempt to open Pr and Ae 15 minutes later it will give me the "no module" error or a blank comp in Ae.

So then I must restart and open it immediately. 

So frustrating, what is triggering in the first 15 minutes that breaks Adobe.  It seems so arbitrary.  I've asked for help, but been told to simply downgrade to 2019 and wait over the past 3 months. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running 14.01 and now 14.0.3 on 10.15.3 on my MP7,1 with Vega II with few problems for months.  I work all day most days on Premiere and Ae, and finish a new project on average every three days.

If you haven't tried these, and your issues persist on multiple projects with different kinds of media, maybe you should: 

uninstall Premiere then reinstall (I've done this at least ten times on CC2020.)

boot into the utility and reinstall Catalina (at least five times)

^^^ Do either or both after you've trashed prefs, caches, video previews, etc. to no avail, and ruled out corrupt project, sequence, or media.

If CC 2019 is working for you, then that's great.  IMO, the only new features in 2020 worth having are the increased speed ramp values and audio gain.  I could easily live without either, because I already have for my entire life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 Premiere installs and 5 OS wipes!  Nice.

Do you have the Pegasus RAID setup as well?  Some people are suggesting that may be at play here even though it doesn't quite make sense as we are looking a video module issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you do what you gotta' do.  I can attribute at least some of my fixes to reinstalls.  When Pr stops working as expected, either a pref delete or reinstall fixes it.  When the Finder disappears, or app switching stops working, reinstalling Catalina fixes it. 

I have gigabit ethernet, so reinstalls of Pr take 5 minutes, and Catalina 15 minutes.  Not as bad as some prior one-hour reinstalls with High Sierra, etc.

I do not have a Pegasus RAID, and I agree that seems a remote candidate for the video module issue.  I have three other external RAIDs attached to my MacPro at various times.  Some times, all three have been running while I phased out the oldest one.  Two of them have proprietary drivers - ATTO and OWC (SoftRAID).  AFAIK, all they do is affect RAID operations - mounting and RAID health monitoring.

You can easily eliminate the Pegasus as a suspect by uninstalling the hardware and drivers.  If the issue persists, that exonerates the Pegasus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applaud your patience and determination.

If it were so easy as to just reinstall Adobe + Catalina for me I'd do it monthly but with the dozens of apps and plugins I have it's a journey.  Imaging would only work if we got it to a stable point so that's a solution for another day. 

Thank you for your insights. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to reinstall plug-ins.  They don't get wiped when you uninstall.  I have dozens of audio plugs, and they have to be rescanned after a reinstall, and that take about three or four minutes.  I have dozens of video plug-ins and scripts as well, and they too are unaffected by uninstalls. 

Even the Adobe Cleaner tool leaves dozens of files behind.  I don't recommend using that - ever.

Reinstalls aren't as bad as they used to be.

I didn't mention imaging, but I clone my boot disk before doing OS updates, just in case; and weekly to have backups of my mail and documents.  I don't use Time Machine.  I only let Spotlight index my boot disk, too. I exempt all my RAID drives from indexing.

BTW, when I got this new Mac, I did a clean install of EVERYTHING with the latest installers.  It took a day and a half.  I only used Migration Assistant to bring my Documents over from my previous system.

Anyway, you're welcome, and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the Catalina reinstall doesn't wipe the plugins?

Perhaps my mentality about this has been stuck in the past.  Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, a reinstall of the OS just does the OS.  All your documents, plug-ins, apps, mail, settings, etc. are safe - as long as you don't use the "erase and install" option.  Since the only utility I've found that works on Catalina is the Apple Disk Utility / First Aid, a reinstall is the only thing that clears up OS related problems, as far as I'm aware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar new MacPro, and I did a clean install  of everything except my User documents that I migrated with Migration Assistant.  So far, I've concluded that Catalina and Pr 2020 aren't ready for pro use.  I suggest you use 2019 and stay away from 2020 until it's been debugged.  There are posts here on downgrading Pr projects, or just do a web search for "premiere project downgrade."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have exactly the same issue. New Mac Pro with Vega II.

Every second(!) time I try to start Premiere it crashes prompting this massage: "Premier Pro could not find any capable video play modules. Please update your video display drivers and start again."  

Adobe can you hear us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silimar machine. Same issue(s):

i.) SLOW START-UPS

ii.) CRASHES

iii.) "Premier Pro could not find any capable video play modules. Please update your video display drivers and start again."

Applicable applications: AE, PP and Media Encoder

By chance, are any of you having these issues with a Pegasus HD (or the software from PP)?  I have a R4i PP MPX Module installed and heard that it may be the cause. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cjpmsp, according to Adobe it is a Pegaus Drive  issue but I faced this same issue on a clean install with only Adobe CC 2020 installed and detailed it here actually:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premier-pro-2020-after-effects-media-encoder-audition-is...

Believe it's an issue with Catalina and Aodbe CC but still worth it to try the fix from Adobe on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Just a FYI: I have a 16" MBP and PP, AEF, Media Encoder work like a charm. I'm on latest versions of Adobe and OSX. That said, it leads me to presume that the issues on my MACPRO are having to do with Vega card and/or the Pegasus MPX module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines