• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4.2 update coming...

Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey kids - just read this and thought I'd pass it along...good news indeed.

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/adobe/story/matrox_and_other_3rd_party_i_o_vendors_with_cs4/

AVC-I native support...it's finally here. And after I just bought an EX3....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Shucks, I don't get to break the news on anything anymore...

Premiere Pro 4.2 does in fact add AVC-I and offers some additional fixes too.  Should be out soon.

Regards,

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 212 Replies 212
Engaged ,
Sep 28, 2009 Sep 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo Dennis (how'd you know I have a Brooklyn accent?? Even worse, born in Jersey. lol!), I'll make this request a good one, because I think there's something big happening here. I've now had Production Premium since it shipped last year and the 5D2 since January, and most of 2009 has been welding all this together. We'll get there! And skip all the whiners and gripers, this 5D2 is from another planet (especially for still images, it's nuts). I'm not sold on the 7D yet, cramming 18 million cells on a crop sensor just makes them too small, you lose the great low-light advantage of a full frame sensor's larger cells (over 6 microns...). But, we'll see what Canon did in the firmware, they have some excellent engineering over there.

Hunt, thanks for the advice, I'll keep it as lean as I can... nobody reads 4-page resumes any more either. Oh, you can drop the "n" in my name, I think that's for dames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PaulieDC wrote:

Yo Dennis (how'd you know I have a Brooklyn accent?? Even worse, born in Jersey. lol!), I'll make this request a good one, because I think there's something big happening here. I've now had Production Premium since it shipped last year and the 5D2 since January, and most of 2009 has been welding all this together. We'll get there! And skip all the whiners and gripers, this 5D2 is from another planet (especially for still images, it's nuts). I'm not sold on the 7D yet, cramming 18 million cells on a crop sensor just makes them too small, you lose the great low-light advantage of a full frame sensor's larger cells (over 6 microns...). But, we'll see what Canon did in the firmware, they have some excellent engineering over there.

Hunt, thanks for the advice, I'll keep it as lean as I can... nobody reads 4-page resumes any more either. Oh, you can drop the "n" in my name, I think that's for dames.

Okay, last post of the night.

Fuggedaboutit!  Jersey?  What exit?  Mine's 7a.  Really...  I've lived in NJ for nearly my whole life and in a humorous turn of events defend it on the airplane when people give me that look when I tell them I'm from Jersey.  It's called the Garden state for a reason you know!

Yup, know all about the 5D vs. the 7D and am inclined to go with the 5D.  Saw a rumor site that said 5D can do 24FPS with firmware update but the rolling shutter artifacts are too extreme right now.

Anyway, right now, the simple way to use 5Dmk2 footage is to convert it.  I know, bummer, but it works and it works well and it works in the background.  Create a watch folder with AME convert it to a file of your choosing (I use P2) and cut hard...

Cheers,

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a watch folder with AME convert it to a file of your choosing (I use P2) and cut hard...

OK Dennis, you have GOT to expound on that a little, I'm so new to AME I'm still wearing the shrink wrap. I encode to the preset that I know will work, but what does "cut hard" mean? (Told you I was a noob).

BTW, I used a preset recently that said 23.97 so I gave it a whirl, and the final video looked more like film to me, thought it looked pretty neat. But I figured, nahhhh, that was too easy. The entire planet earth is whining and complaining about no 24p on the 5D2, so this couldn't be the answer.

Oh, to answer your question, Exit 100, GSP. Grew up near the shore. I'm very familiar with 7a, Great Adventure of course! Then spent my final years up near Hoboken before moving out in the 90's. Can't shake the accent though, lol!

Ba da bing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PaulieDC wrote:

Create a watch folder with AME convert it to a file of your choosing (I use P2) and cut hard...

OK Dennis, you have GOT to expound on that a little, I'm so new to AME I'm still wearing the shrink wrap. I encode to the preset that I know will work, but what does "cut hard" mean? (Told you I was a noob).

BTW, I used a preset recently that said 23.97 so I gave it a whirl, and the final video looked more like film to me, thought it looked pretty neat. But I figured, nahhhh, that was too easy. The entire planet earth is whining and complaining about no 24p on the 5D2, so this couldn't be the answer.

Oh, to answer your question, Exit 100, GSP. Grew up near the shore. I'm very familiar with 7a, Great Adventure of course! Then spent my final years up near Hoboken before moving out in the 90's. Can't shake the accent though, lol!

Ba da bing...

AME = Adobe Media Encoder.  Go under File and create a Watch folder which is basically what it says.  When you drop media like the 5dmk2 into this folder, it will have instructions on what to convert it to.  P2 is a format by Panasonic that I think is pretty decent for a digital intermediate workflow (IOW when you have to convert)

Yes, any flavor of 24FPS is going to give you a more 'film' look

Cut Hard - a phrase used by some editors.  You cut your videos - Cut Hard... Play Hard.... etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that we're getting OT here, but this comment deserves a response:

I'm not sold on the 7D yet, cramming 18 million cells on a crop

Good friend, who shoots Canon and has a couple 5D's, got the 7D and loved it. However, while he was packing up and testing for a trip to the San Juan Islands, his new 7D died. He was heartbroken, though it was under warranty. He really enjoyed it, for the short time that he used it.

Now, I'm on Nikon, he's on Canon. I'm on PC, and he's a Mac-ophile to the core. Still, we are great friends and share fine wines.

Wish I had some great things to say about the 7D, but those will have to wait, until his replacement comes in.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt, what a shame that happened to your buddy with the 7D. See, that's a concern: Canon can barely kep up with the 5D2 demand, and many lenses are still out of stock... I hope they're not just throwing these 7Ds together to get them out the door.  What a shame that happened right before a trip. 
btw, I'm halfway on your side, I'm Canon and PC.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sold on the 7D yet, cramming 18 million cells on a crop sensor just makes them too small, you lose the great low-light advantage of a full frame

I made that statement a few days ago, seriously concerned about that. Yesterday, CanonRumours.com posted their hands-on review of the 7D:

I will say that this camera is a lot noisier at ISO 400 than the 1D Mark III. It’s not even close. I didn’t see any difference between the 7D and 50D as far as noise goes in print. The “noise pattern” was a little more appealing in the 7D. However, if you’re looking for a clean high ISO performing camera, get a 5D Mark II or wait a while for new EOS-1’s.

I was afraid of that. They did state that the 24p looks quite good. That's dandy if you're shooting in the daytime I guess. Noisy at ISO 400? That's not good, although in some situations, noise is artistically acceptable. Look how much the Blair Witch Project pulled in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just added my feature request to the pile for the 5D2. And I hope Adobe will jump on this request with both feet! There is such a demand for this camera that even B&H can only get 300 pieces at a time and those sell out as soon as they arrive.

The 7D adds 24fps and 720p, but is not a full-frame sensor, so you'r right back to limitless DoF and limited wide angle lenses. The real draw of the 5D2 is the ability to shoot with an 85mm f/1.2 or a 17mm f/4. I agree that, if Adobe can get this right, there is a whole new market waiting for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to jump into this 5D2 and 7D talk (I use a 5D2, CS4 and Cineform) I think the 7D is going to be an absolute winner in the video world.  It's going to leverage off the success and hype of the 5D2, cost $1000 less, plus have more advanced video capability (25p, 24p).  It has a little less low light capability, a little more DOF, but is still head and sholders ahead of any other video camera close to its price range and it takes spectacular video.  Unlike with the 5D2, Canon should be able to really crank up production to meet the high demand.  The video forums are going nuts over this camera.  In my case I always keep a full frame Canon with an APS Canon as a backup - I'll be trading up my current APS for a 7D - this will give me a video backup as well.

Yes, learning to edit with the very high bit rate 1024p from the 5D2 has been tough - but Cineform now has good CS4 add-ons that work well.  Native editing in CS4 would be great, but Adobe support to 3rd party providers like Cineform and Matrox is equally important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good feedback here! Honestly, after much sweat and forum-squinting over the last 10 months, I think we have a good workflow with NeoScene and an i7 920 to the rescue. BUT, I still think Adobe can seize the moment by shining the spotlight on this newcomer (the DSLRV that is) and not just expect the still photogs to know what to do and where to turn now that big video is in their life. I'm on the photographer boards and believe me, they don't have a CLUE, they need guidance. they think Roxio 8 will probably work for them. On my own I inhaled Lynda.com videos and Adobe CIB for Premiere and went everywhere I could to understand video over the last several months. THIS forum is advanced, you guys probably don't think so, but your normal speak would make a new guy shaky. I eat it up when you talk video. That's why I say Adobe could become that big brother to all of its Photoshop devotees that are totally clueless about what NLE even stands for or what timebase means (I was there). I mean, for pete's sake, Adobe has all of the TOOLS to offer, but because Vincent Laforet used FCP on Reverie, they figure they're supposed to (seriously). I want to break that assumption and start waving the Adobe flag. Imagine an ad with the purple/black Production Premium box next to a 5D2 or 7D with the caption "The Perfect Match", with smaller text talking about how much the new DSLRV shooter can do with PP CS4. Us still guys would leap all over that. It's not too late with the release of the 7D.

Yes, I'll copy and paste some of this in my plea to Adobe. Where's that Marketing Director, we need to talk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the photographer boards and believe me, they don't have a CLUE, they need guidance.

That's why video professionals exist.  If you want video, call one of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want video, call one of us.

Exactly why I've been driving you guys nuts for the last 6 months! I admit, I'm bit by the video bug... it's complex compared to output of still photography, but it's exciting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys do realize that nothing ask to be included in the update will happen just because you put a good argument for it on this thread. The fixes are locked and being tested right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Josh - where you been? Have seen you around these parts in awhile...how's your feature coming along?

And, you're most likely right - outside from any small fixes, most of the bigs things are probably locked in and being beta tested by people now. But you never know - there may be a 4.3 update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you never know - there may be a 4.3 update...

Hey, I already lost my bet that the next release would be CS5. I'm staying out of any CS4.3 discussion - I'm broke!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fixes are locked and being tested right now.

I should have mentioned that my 5D2 support dream is a hopeful for CS5. Being a software developer for 11 years, I know they can't just "pop" it in... I'm whiny but realistic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly why I've been driving you guys nuts for the last 6 months!

I meant call us to do it, and then pay us for doing it.  It's no good people trying to do our jobs on their own, and then asking for free advice when they can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for seeing this late in the day.

Bravo for saying your piece. I don't know why Adobe is not out in front of this. A whole grass roots industry sprouting up to support these Canon cameras, and here we are loyal Adobe customers wandering about in the wilderness searching for clues how to use our footage in Premier. I applaud your positive attitude later in the thread when you are encouraged to enter your ideas in the wish list, but that's ridiculous.

The idea that the product team needs a hint about an inescapable groundswell of creativy, energy and COMMERCE is frankly frightening. Adobe's response to this emerging market is wholly inadequate. Please Adobe, pull your head out the sand and lead us out the wilderness before FCP wins by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2009 Oct 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UCDG - Where on the Adobe site do you see anything that says Adobe will not support the Canon 5D and similar cameras?  Adobe can play them right now natively, just not very well.  We offer a transcoding solution through the Adobe Media Encoder today.  Finally, we have every intention of supporting it better via native solution as soon as possible.

Let me be clear - Adobe has the best native support in the NLE space today and we don't plan on changing that any time soon.  The problem becomes supporting the most important ones as quickly as possible.  Right now the Canon scores pretty high in this area!

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll comment on Canon support.  I'm a 5DII user, very happy with CS4, but I use Cineform AVI as the editing format.  Very early on Cineform jumped into supporting the 5DII, and have done an outstanding job.  Their style is to be very hands on with customers, they are small enough they can do this, and this lets them quickly work through all the issues.  At this point they have more or less become the default format with Canon DSLR users, and with the add on as low as about $89 it is a very easy step.  I don't think there are lots of 5DII users sitting around waiting for a native solution, they have mostly moved on to other issues.

In the things I do I often do lots of pre-processing anyway, so Cineform AVI is a godsend.  And I've moved up to Prospect HD with First Light which has amazing capability.  Prospect HD is just a release or two away from real time multistream processing with CS4.

The point is that Adobe doesn't have to be all things to everyone with Premiere.  My hope is that Adobe concentrates on supplying a super stable platform, with a good SDK for other suppliers to work with.  And then 64 bits of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not have said it better myself, CineForm is entirely in its own league for quality.
Additionally, they have a great lossless codec so that the files will be far smaller but still lossless and this in a 4.2.2 collor space:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that Adobe doesn't have to be all things to everyone with Premiere.  My hope is that Adobe concentrates on supplying a super stable platform, with a good SDK for other suppliers to work with.  And then 64 bits of course.

Exactly! Amen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dennis, I didn't get a chance to respond the other day when you asked why I don't use AME to convert 5D2 files to an editable format in Pr CS4. Get ready, here somes the big answer: I didn't know you could! (DOH!!). OK, it's probably a no-brainer, but here's a perfect scenario of how all of this DSLR/Video stuff has gone in the last 12 months. This may be long but I hope it adds insight. The events:

• 5D2 gets release, and many of us still-photo shooters buy one (when you CAN) and go bananas over video. We're hooked, plain and simple. Veteran video folks start rolling eyes all over the country, lol.
  • We get the camera, and realize we need Photoshop CS4 to open RAW natively, and while we're at it, we need Premiere, so we figure, just hunker down and spend the bucks on Production Premium CS4. I actually preordered it 4 months before I even reeled in a 5D2. ::::bowing left::::   :::::bowing right:::
  • We load up PP CS4 and try our hand at video, and notice out three year old computers sort of choke and sputter. We have no idea WHY (remember, we're still clueless at this point, we think Roxio 8 from 2006 will probably do us just fine).
  • So we hit the PC boards and discover we're insane trying to edit video on a Dell laptop or a HP with a P4 processor, SO, we (meaning "I") build an Intel i7 rig with 12GB ram and three disk systems and two graphics cards SLI'd together (then sell one of the cards when we later discover that Premiere doesn't leverage GPU, and yes, I know that's coming!!).
  • Now our raw 5D2 .MOVs play smooth as silk in QT and WMP! Yahoo!! So we import into Premiere, and chunk, chunk, chunk... barely editable. OK, now what?? Back to the forums... come across a bunch on video editors who aren't all that accomodating (not Adobe.com, I'm talking other sites... hadn't found you guys yet), but one of them states that Premiere cannot edit 5D2 video, you need FCP. Huh??? So now I have this wrong notion that Adobe "can't support" my camera, and I should have taken out a mortgage and bought Mac hardware and FCP. Ouch. (hang with me, it gets better).
  • I come across this thread that talks about this NeoScene thing, so out goes another $99 (at VideoGuys.com, cheaper than Cineform's site BTW). I get it, convert files, and it works!! Smooth editing video in Premiere! Yippee! I then notice my audio is out of sync. NOW what?? Why did that happen?? Plus the files are DOUBLE the size now, which is OK, but backup space eats up real quick-like. (BTW, turns out the 8/12/2009 NeoScene update fixed the audio issue).
  • Finally I'm churning out projects, and everything works. Hooray! After months of hair pulling but I finally pieced it together (BTW, have a look out there on other sites, many 5D2 owners are still whining, not knowing all this, and still expecting their 2004 HP $399 desktop to edit video). NOW I have to really dig into Premiere and learn this app and editing in general.
  • So the time spent recently has been in Premiere CiaB and Lynda.com videos about Premiere and downloading Podcasts for my iPhone about, you guessed it, Premiere (including instructing in general editing in an NLE regardless of version). I've got several books and websites marked. BUT, there are other parts of this puzzle, called AME and AE and Encoder and bears oh my. How do I use those to my best ability?

Now, you came along and tell me I've had the ability to convert my 5D2 files with AME! That's great! But as you can see in the progression of events, how or where would I have found that out at this point in time, right? I'm still eating Premiere, I haven't had a chance to even eat any part of the AME or AE or Encore elephant yet... good thing I know Photoshop inside and out, one less elephant to eat. So THAT'S why I wouldn't even know you could convert 5D2 files with AME. Of course, NOW I realize it should have been something obvious to try, but, I can only eat one elephant at a time!

So, you keep hearing "what about native support in Premiere? FCP has native support!". That's because most still photog's are 100% absolutely clueless about what video is all about (I'm getting better, I actually now know what timebase and 4:2:2 means... ).  FCP doesn't natively support the 5D Mark II, FCP happens to have, by coincidence, the right H.264 support (I guess that's why raw video runs in QT OK?). Plus, I've never heard that Apple embraced the 5D2 specifically at all. Here's where all that comes from: when Vincent Laforet did the Reverie video in September 2008 with a pre-prod 5D2, people saw it and went nuts and wanted to do video (yeah, me included). Reverie hit 1 million downloads the first weekend and literally shut the Canon servers down, something they never expected (this will make sense in 10 more seconds). In an interview, Vincent says" the 5D Mark II is incredible and with a few good lenses you can make amazing video so easily." He then states "the 5D Mark II files open right up and edit smoothly, just a breeze to work with." THAT was the line that most people got "confused" with. Vincent was a sports shooter for the NY Times, but his father was a major movie and video producer and Vincent was on sets in his growing years all the time. He had LOTS of exposure to movie and video production. Plus Vincent has these insanely powerful rack-mounted Apple servers in his studio, as well as the full FCS. No KIDDING he was able to edit video smoothly (translation: he also knew what he was doing, it's not just the gear). However, many interpreted that as "Buy a 5D2, pop the files on your PC and be a happy video dude."

Naturally when I bought Production Premium I expected the same ease Laforet talked about. It didn't happen, and you read all I went through. So when NeoScene got discovered and "saved the day", we all believed it was the ONLY solution to edit in Premiere, so hence the outcry of "why doesn't Adobe make Premiere support the 5D2"... see the connection? Premiere will work. Us inexperienced newcomers need direction on making it work. We don't even KNOW that AME can help us, however that would be. That's where Adobe could seize the moment and captialize on the DSLR newcomer. I'm talking marketing marketing marketing, the tools are there, and the training is there. Us video newcomers need to be told we need it. Then our responsibility is to do the work of learning the video world properly and thoroughly. For me it's been a blast! I was crazy enough to drink out of a firehose for the last 12 months but others will need some coaching.

I've submitted all of this to Adobe in the feature request, but really it is marketing advice. There's not so much a needed feature in Pr, photographers just need some help in knowing how to make their DSLR video work in Premiere, just to get started. Presets that say Canon 5D Mark II or even 1080p DSLR Video would be a huge start!

Hope this long-winded soap-box shed some light on the new brand of customer Adobe now has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paulie,

Your lengthy entry deserves a response to which I don't have the time at the moment.  Rest assured I will respond.  Thank you very much for taking the time to write and care.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's OK Dennis, there's bigger fish to fry. You don't really have to respond (unless you'd like to), I just got chatty and decided to publish "Confessions of a Newbie".

I admit, I'm a die hard Adobe nut, look at all we can do these days...

It's a good time to be a videographer, editor and/or photographer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines