• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4.2 update coming...

Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey kids - just read this and thought I'd pass it along...good news indeed.

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/adobe/story/matrox_and_other_3rd_party_i_o_vendors_with_cs4/

AVC-I native support...it's finally here. And after I just bought an EX3....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Shucks, I don't get to break the news on anything anymore...

Premiere Pro 4.2 does in fact add AVC-I and offers some additional fixes too.  Should be out soon.

Regards,

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 212 Replies 212
Enthusiast ,
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"lol...alors ça c'est marrant!!!!"

lol translates as mdr (mort de rire) for what it's worth.

Je dirais même plus, c'est hilarant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"je dois admettre que ma grammaire n'est pas le meilleur. "

En effet, je m'en rends bien compte.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mawlawi,

I've forwarded the link and some of the information over to the Premiere Pro team and that's the extent of what I can do.  I will add that we are committed to RED and other digital workflows and continue to innovate.  Adding AVC-Intra is just another step towards that.

It's my opinion (and only that!) that we're still doing pretty good in RED. Let me know when other NLE's bring in .R3D files natively, expose RED source settings and the ability to drop resolution to be able to play on sub-par systems. 

Cheers,

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennis,

Thanks for the reply and like I said, I LOVE what Adobe has done with the RED workflow. That is the reason why we switched to CS4. But we are now so spoiled with that awesome workflow that it's extremely hard and frustrating to have to switch back to the lame FCP workflow...lol. The whole point of my post was to make sure that Adobe is indeed aware of the changes that were implemented months ago  in the new build 20/21 and that they are working on supporting those features. Every day there there is someone posting on reduser.net asking "when will Adobe support build 20/21".... Adobe has now quite a fan base among RED camera owners.... As a matter of fact...I think someone should be representing Adobe on the RED forum.... 😉

Thanks for passing that info along to the Premiere team.

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think someone should be representing Adobe on the RED forum

I'd take that job.  I just need someone to get me a RED camera...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't related so much with the 4.2 update, even though I am extremely excited about it. I wanted to thank you Dennis for all the help and inspiration you have given us with your knowledge and tutorials. They have really motivated me to go further with my projects. So thanks for all you are doing!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Brown, thanks. 

All of the guys in my group really love what we do and genuinely like to play with this stuff all of the time (witness my response on a Saturday night!).

More importantly, for as many times as we hear what's not working, it's nice to be told that what we are doing is helpful to some - so from me and my guys to you - thank YOU.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennis,

Can you give us any more details on what was fixed in 4.2?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to see preset for using all favor of Panasonic’s Gh-1 camera.  Including support for third party board like Black Magic Design and Matrox with the new preset.

KiMW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would like to see sony HVR-HD1000N fully support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 15, 2009 Oct 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a little more info from Dave H of Adobe:

I like the part where Dave mentions improvements to HD to SD down convert.

Thanks for the post, Dave.

I’m looking forward to the 4.2 update - thanks for the heads up!

Posted byEric Addison  on  09/25  at  03:59 PM

Do you know if this will include any updates for Encore CS4 and it’s Blu-ray burning capabilities?
We have been having numerous problems and were thinking about going with Sonic but if there is a update coming I might hold tight for a little while longer.

Please Let me know!

Posted byjbandy1  on  10/02  at  08:40 AM

In the 4.2 update there are a couple of major changes in Adobe Media Encoder which could help Encore CS4 in some cases. It depends if the issues are related to bad source media which is common.

Look for 2 CS4 updates, one on Premiere Pro (4.2) and one on Media Encoder (4.2). We are targeting the end of the month.

Testing is going well. A few sneaks:  AVC Intra support, FCP 7 Import, and improvements to HD to SD down convert. I’ll do a full write up on my http://blogs.adobe.com.davtechtable as well as new video showing the features and changes.Should post mid Oct. I’ll also post here.

DKH

Posted by dhelmly aka DavTechTable  on  10/02  at  04:11 PM

Thanks, Dave. Any word on when we can expect FCP export? I know it’s been talked about , but is it still something you all are working on?

Posted byEric Addison  on  10/02  at  05:31 PM

We are still testing it internally. There were a number of changes in FCP 7. My tests have been going well. No release date yet.

Posted by dhelmly aka DavTechTable  on  10/04  at  07:31 PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2009 Oct 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So rumour has it that PPro CS4.2 adds support for Windows 7.  But I have CS4.1 running very nicely on Win 7 x64 right now.  I wonder if CS4.2 will include some DirectCompute optimisation to take better advantage of the GPU?  (DirectCompute is part of DirectX 11 and is an API for allowing applications to use the GPU for non-graphics processing.  DirectX 11 is included in Win 7)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/497859?start=50&tstart=0

It would figure.  Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) contained the first release of Apple's OpenCL architecture for GPU-accelerated non-graphics apps.

(for the record, I would KILL for GPU-optimised versions of frequently-used effects like RGB Curves in PPro.  Real time, high quality preview of graded clips from the timeline would hugely increase my productivity and enjoyment while editing and grading.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(for the record, I would KILL for GPU-optimised versions of frequently-used effects like RGB Curves in PPro.  Real time, high quality preview of graded clips from the timeline would hugely increase my productivity and enjoyment while editing and grading.)

It is my understanding that your wishes will be granted with the release of CS5.

Follow the link below :

http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=475602&postcount=12

P.S. I believe the poster was using a beta version of CS5 and an Nvidia 4800 Quadro card I.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5?  Oh well... I guess I'll have to wait a little longer than the end of this month!  That nVidia/Adobe demo at IBC looked absolutely fantastic (i wasn't there but I saw the FX Guide video)

By the way, I posted the wrong link in my post... I meant to link to this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectCompute

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saw the FX Guide video so you know as much as I do. In all likelihood, CS5 will be be announced around NAB 2010.

In the meantime, enjoy 4.2 once it is released (hopefully next week).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Don't want to dampen any enthusiasm since we're very excited about a number of things we're working on, but to reiterate what was said in the FX Guide video, Adobe is very quick to point out that this is a technology demo...meaning we haven't said when this technology will be available.

That said, the glimpse you saw is exciting to say the least!  If only I could post the link on non-Adobe forums.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the glimpse you saw is exciting

Are you equally excited for us ATI users as well, Dennis?  I would argue that any new Premiere technology needs to satisfy both camps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim, I'm fairly sure that the technology for GPU acceleration comes from the NVidia FX series cards, not so much from Adobe/Premiere, but correct me if I'm wrong. I know that right now you can get a PNY FX3800 Quadro card with Elemental Accelerator bundled in the package which boasts 11x faster rendering times on CS4. That means 800 bucks more for a video card (oy vey...). But, I'm still a noob, so if you guys are talking about something else, I'm all ears!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly sure that the technology for GPU acceleration comes from the NVidia FX series cards

That has been true in the past, and it will be a problem if it continues to be true in the future.  Adobe MUST not lock users into a brand of card for GPU acceleration.  OpenCL is the right way to do this, not CUDA, as it works on cards from both nVidia and ATI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you file a feature request?

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AH, I get it now. I knew that CUDA was the technology, but I didn't realize that OpenCL worked across both platforms. Makes sense.

On a side note, the $159 GTX260 card I have is near identical to that overpriced FX3800 (in fact, mine has more cores), and the 260 is even CUDA enabled, but I can't leverage the GPU acceleration even if I paid the $499 for the Accelerator software, simply because NVidia chose not to license the use in the cheaper card. It's interesting to see how companies "govern" this stuff, probably driven by Marketing I guess. Look at Verizon: Motorola has offered full BlueTooth capability in its phones for years, but you can't transfer files over BT because Verizon says no. I completely understand (not). It was a joy to switch to an iPhone. OK, ramble over with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That has been true in the past, and it will be a problem if it continues to be true in the future.  Adobe MUST not lock users into a brand of card for GPU acceleration"

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I came across the following post over at the Red forums :

"All,

What Obin has been showing as a technology demo is the blazing fast, 64 bit native Mercury playback engine.

It's in our labs now ..... and it's destination is Premiere Pro in "the future" .... can't say when that is, but as teh FXGuide video and Obin's IBC demos show --- we've at least got a version bolted into Premiere Pro and it's a very happy experience. The GPU acceleration in the lab is nVidia CUDA, so ATI GPUs don't show benefits, and won't when we first bring it to market --- nVidia has been awesome to work with on this, kudos to them.

Because it's a new playback engine it works on every format we feed it (the decoding / import is a different part of Premiere Pro ..... so by time it hits the playback engine everything looks the same ... pixels of data).

The bottleneck will move to disk / to decode ...... as Obin notes, on a solid workstation that makes things like RED super-happy .... same thing for P2 .... we've put 7 layers of 720p with lots and lots of effects on the timeline on a Z800 and it's renderless, realtime goodness.

Every laptop we've seen ends up limited by the laptop memory bandwidth .... so we're focusing our work on workstations ...... think FX4800, FX5800, Quadro CX and similar Fermi cards (nVidia just previewed their next gen, codenamed Fermi --- trust me, you'll want one ;-). We'll also support GTX 285 and similar Fermi cards --- they end up limited to 3 or 4 accelerated layers --- more than that and you need a Quadro.

It's an engine for editing --- After Effects has a different engine with different goals ..... so Mercury is just about Premier Pro futures at this point.

Fun, Fun stuff. Wish I could say more .... like product timing but for now .... it's a fabulous glimpse of the future.

Folk like Mark Pedersen and Obin have access to our super-secret experiments ---- and we know that our RED friends often make for great beta testers --- you do cool, challenging work that makes us raise our game. If you want to join the fray shoot me an e-mail ... simon here at Adobe and we can work on seeing whether being part of our pre-release and helping us to make Premiere Pro the perfect tool for your workflows.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon, the GTX260 Core 216 is supposedly CUDA enabled...will all of the 200 series CUDA-enabled cards work, or am I brown-bagging it to step up to a 285?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paulie,

You'll have to ask Simon over at the RED forums; he doesn't hang out here.  Or at least he hasn't in the past...

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines