• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AC3 playback

Community Expert ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems Windows 11 is dropping the Dolby Digital AC3 codec, does that mean the Premiere will not play videos with that audio?

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just pulled a m2ts with ac3 audio from a Bd and it plays just fine in the beta.

Been running W11 for some time now without issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be dropped beginning with the next major feature update to Windows 11 (24H2). However, this affects only users who reinstall Windows 11 with the 24H2 installer using a clean install. Windows 11 users who upgrade to 24H2 from an older feature update of Windows 11 (such as the current 23H2 version) will still have the AC3 codec installed from that version of Windows.

And yes, Premiere Pro relies solely on that Windows AC3 codec. So, if you perform a clean install of the upcoming 24H2 feature update and then you install Premiere Pro, then your videos with AC3 audio will import without audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what Dolby is doing? Any idea. First it was out of PP, and now out of Windows? What will be the work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use ac3 but if I did I would go to google and enter

dolby ac3 licensing

To find out... since my GUESS is that dolby wants to sell individual licenses

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the first time that Microsoft has ended official support for a multimedia codec. Newer versions of Windows no longer include MPEG1 or MPEG2 video support out of the box, making those codecs an optional download instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's the only thing I can come up with also.

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing, you can install an ac3 codec yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines